• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction.  The last time I authored a matchday thread there was a sense of optimism on the forum after a positive, attacking performance away at Luton..  Unfortunately, since then t

People are so quick to write players off these days. Sheff Utd are smashing it in the PL with a team full of league football journeymen. Vardy was in non-league a few years ago. Pukki couldn't hit a b

Hats off to sky sports, how they found 15minutes worth of highlights to put on the tele is beyond me

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Blanco said:

A rookie manager, learning on the job, putting solid foundations in place, after realising his initial assessment was a bit off and doing something about it?

Thats not making me feel better at all. Disaster waiting to happen. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Blanco said:

Comments on young Pears in the goal please.

He has kept two clean sheets out of two now. Has he been busy or just dealing with routine stuff for a goalkeeper? The reason I ask is that it seems that Randolph has had to consistently make worldies to keep us in games. If Pears hasn’t had to make lots of saves, does it not point to progression within the way Woodgate is setting us up? If so, why all the negative, we are going to be relegated comments?

The man is finding his feet and learning on the job. He is progressing and will get there. The longer he is there the better he will be. To quote a worn out phrase in the pub........Time gentlemen please

Agree. Hes one good thing to come out of this. His positioning looks really good

10 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Ponce mentioned this on Twitter too, anyone wondering why Dijksteel or Bola can't get in the team, can solve that one for you perhaps. Both, in particular Dijksteel, were absolutely void of effort in pre-match and half time drills. Dijksteel looked like he didn't want to be there. They were doing those long range passes together at one point, Bola spooned one miles away from Dijksteel and Dijksteel just stood still, didn't even look at the ball, just sort of slumped and gave up any idea of wanting to keep warmed up. Probably coldest day of the season at the Riverside and he just couldn't be bothered moving. If Spence was blitzing it in the U23s, I'd question whether he'd even be in the squad tbh. As for Bola, well Coulson has been injured, played for the U23s, then got a sub appearance and finally got back in the team with very little competition. It's clear he isn't doing enough either.

Notably, I felt similar about Britt in what I saw of him pre-match. He didn't look up to it and barring some of his pressing work, it showed in the game too.

The argument for giving Woodgate a chance to bring in his own players falls down a bit when you look at the Djiksteel and Bola situation. 

Both were apparently his players that he identified in his presentation that blew everyone's socks off. If we wanted to play the high tempo, high pressing formation that the club talked about in the summer then you need attacking full backs with bags of energy to get up and down the pitch all game. Neither Djiksteel or Bola look like those types of players to me. 

As for Britt I made my feelings known on him after a few months of him being here and got pelters for it. He doesn't put in a shift  for the team, he never has and he never will. Yes, his goalscoring record is good at this level but when he's not being fed chance after chance on a plate then you're virtually playing with 10 men. 

Edited by Duvel
  • Like 2

Bola and Dijksteel have never had a chance to properly establish themselves. Small wonder they're demoralised, they'll regret ever signing for us.

I don't kind Coulson coming back in, but I don't like Howson and Saville/Johnson playing as full backs.

It's why it's so frustrating we were knocked out of the cup so early by a rubbish team, it would have been a perfect route to give game time.

34 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Rumours going around he's joining the backroom coaching team.

I'd be behind this!

I know he didn't pull up trees at Sunderland but hes just the kind of coach were missing

29 minutes ago, mj south said:

I'd be behind this!

I know he didn't pull up trees at Sunderland but hes just the kind of coach were missing

What type of coach is he?

I got the impression that Sunderland were a safety first/ cautious team. Is that what we need? 

Well that was horrendous. What's happened to the team that played attacking, free flowing football in the opening game against Luton?

We just look lost, the players who are up for the fight aren't good enough and the players who aren't dont want to be here. I'd drop Assombalonga for good but the alternative is Fletcher or Gestede, jesus christ what sort of a joke are we?

It's only going to get worse in January unless we sell Randolph (Which would be a disaster) or Assombalonga (Who we'll take a massive loss on.)

Fletchers miss, Britts miss and then a shot at the end which went straight at the keeper were about our only good chances of the game. We hit the target in 1 of those. That's where the problem lies. Britt and Fletcher are not clinical enough in a team that only makes a few chances a game. 

The worst bit is that they are the best we have to offer. And do you know what pisses me off the most, Bamford would have probably scored one of their chances that they've missed, but Pulis shipped him out on Gibsons authority. 

We deserve to be where we are if we choose to sell our best goal scorer for peanuts. The laughable thing is the players who we have sold and thus weakened our squad, havent been adequately replaced or have players who make the starting 11!

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

As for Britt I made my feelings known on him after a few months of him being here and got pelters for it. He doesn't put in a shift  for the team, he never has and he never will. Yes, his goalscoring record is good at this level but when he's not being fed chance after chance on a plate then you're virtually playing with 10 men. 

I don't agree with this part wholeheartedly. If you were just talking about him yesterday, I'd agree. But I think on a few occasions this season, he has broken his own mould a little bit, moreso than he ever showed he could under Pulis, he's held the ball up better, he's gradually made better decisions. He's not that kind of player but he's at least looked capable of doing it. Which is what makes yesterday all the more disappointing for me. He was pretty anonymous.

Listening to the radio yesterday after the game, I obviously didn't agree with the scapegoating of Woodgate, made my stance on that pretty clear. Those that don't point the finger at Woodgate point the finger at the players and I didn't agree with that at all to begin with. But if we are to indeed judge Woodgate on his tactics whilst ensuring he isn't scapegoated as the most significant problem, we should certainly call out some players over effort. Britt being the big one yesterday. And it's looking like a motivational problem. The players don't look confident or bothered sometimes. It's alright for them to come out afterwards and say they're not moving the ball quickly enough... well grab a hold of each other and do it quicker? If you recognise the problem as much as the boss does, you're the ones on the pitch capable of changing that. And the only reason you wouldn't is it you're sat there thinking, really, what difference is it going to make?

Manager has to try to do something about that. To use something Monk once said, the players have to individually and collectively be able to recognise the problems and fix them themselves on the pitch. But perhaps the manager needs to give them a hand right now.

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't agree with this part wholeheartedly. If you were just talking about him yesterday, I'd agree. But I think on a few occasions this season, he has broken his own mould a little bit, moreso than he ever showed he could under Pulis, he's held the ball up better, he's gradually made better decisions. He's not that kind of player but he's at least looked capable of doing it. Which is what makes yesterday all the more disappointing for me. He was pretty anonymous.

I haven't bought a season ticket so I can only judge him on what I've saw this season on tv/ internet streams. From what I've seen he looks the same as last season and the season before, his work ethic is poor and his holdup play is awful. 

Maybe we are seeing different things or maybe you can see improvements in his game that I'm missing. Fair enough. 

I'm not gonna criticise him for missing chances because when the team are creating one or two chances a game we're not giving him enough service. 

• Like 1