oneBoro Forum

2 months after the last poll, how confident are you in Woodgate now?

Two months later - how confident are you in Woodgate now?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement
  2. 2. And... In your opinion - do the problems at MFC Stem from....

• Gibson
    • Woody
    • Whoever is in charge of recruitment
    • All of the above

7 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Regarding the team that finishes 7th. We as fans all agreed flint and hugill were woeful. Mikel looked good for first month and then average. Besic has essentially been replaced by Paddy and is performing better than him imo. That leaves us with downing. And if he is the difference between 7th and 22nd i will give up on football.

I can recommend knitting as a New hobby 🙃

The season isnt over yet.. Not fair to compare a full season to 13 games 

This 5 players are not world beaters no, but they would deffo give us a better squad. 

Hugill wouldnt miss pennas and he would have scored on some of the missed sitters.. 

Downings influence would be important.. 

Flint would help defend set pieces, where we suck.. 

Besic has a little drive, which we need.. 

Thin squad.. That's What we have

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Red Bull were already involved with us as Red Bull gives you Wing 😏

But Woody is a rookie manager. He's not got 30 odd years of experience in the game. And guess why we had to hire a rookie manager? Gibson. People point the finger at Woodgate saying he's getting

Ever since Kenyon found Karnaka / Orta and then disappeared any direction we had was scrapped. Under that regime we had an identity weather or not you were a fan of how we played or not. We were signi

2 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I can recommend knitting as a New hobby 🙃

This 5 players are not world beaters no, but they would deffo give us a better squad. 

Hugill wouldnt miss pennas and he would have scored on some of the missed sitters.. 

Downings influence would be important.. 

Flint would help defend set pieces, where we suck.. 

Besic has a little drive, which we need.. 

Thin squad.. That's What we have

Sorry @SmogDane. We will need to agree to disagree on this mate. I just cannot accept that a more competent manager would not have this squad lower mid-table minimum. 

And I get JW working under poor circumstances but are his worse than Monks at Birmingham were or Adkins at Hull were. Former could not sign players and latter was at a club that was close to a circus act.  Yet both performed well with poorer squads than ours is currently

I am not blaming JW for all this but he is not free of all blame imho. And we can rightly criticise Gibson all day but he won't sell and only other way to stop this horror show becoming a lasting nightmare is to change managers imho.

• Wow 1

The problem is I dont think there are many decent managers that we would want, would accept what has been given to Woodgate regarding budget and players we have let go. A big problem is we have 3 centre backs all of whom have missed part of the season which means we havent had a settled backline throughout the season.

So many of our goals we have conceded have been sloppy and easily avoidable this season as well as some of the chances we should have scored. Obviously the finger points at Woodgate as manager but so many goals conceded/not scored have been down to individual players making big errors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Completely Gibson’s fault, for years we have had the wrong people in charge and making decisions at the club with the exception of Karanka and his staff. 

To go from premier league at the most lucrative it’s ever been to this is just shocking. The likes of Burnley who are arguably a smaller club with a smaller budget have thrived through good management and even played in Europe.

To think of how weak the league was and if we had actually spend money in that January window we would have comfortably stayed up, it doesn’t take a genius to see where we were lacking and what needed to be done to fix it. Instead we signed not even championship standard players and replaced our manager with a coach. How can someone who has been involved in football for so many years mess things up to that extent?! 

Then waiting to were relegated and dismantling the team that promoted us was another mistake. Young manager like Monk was a great idea but to expect him to completely transform the club in six months before sacking him? Again absolutely unbelievable. 

Then worse still Pulis and his squad full of 30+ players on big contracts with no sell on value. Again how can anyone think that’s possibly sustainable?!

so it’s no surprise that we are where we are. Club is in a serious relegation fight and no one can deny that. Problem is that we will end up selling anyone we can get decent money for in January as we’re skint because of the mistakes above, most of the teams were fighting won’t have that pressure.

Doesn’t matter who’s in charge, Woodgate is out of his depth, but who will want to come into this, no money, entire squad up for sale and an owner who has no idea what he’s doing. Any decent manager will know this job will likely damage their career with the inevitable relegation.

really do struggle to see where the club goes from here, Gibson doesn’t have the funds to buy his way out of trouble, crowds are massively down, premier league money stopped, very few sellable assets and the majority of the squads contracts are expiring. 

Basically Gibson gets my vote! 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

What we need is a little bit of luck!

The danger of this type of thinking is that we are somehow not the masters of our own downfall. 

It's not unlucky to suggest we've played badly and have missed golden chances to win a football game. That's nothing to do with luck, it's because the players and team just arent good enough. 

We are where we are because we are bad, it's as simple as that. We played for 75 mins against 10 men and only managed one shot on target. 

They dont need luck, they need a reality check and a *** kick up the ***. Its embarrassing that we have sunk this low. 

• Like 1

We have two tough away games at Derby and QPR before the international break, so I'm thinking that if we lose them two then I can't imagine anything other than Woodgate being sacked as it would leave is deep within the relegation zone and possibly several points adrift of safety.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jamesp said:

Completely Gibson’s fault, for years we have had the wrong people in charge and making decisions at the club with the exception of Karanka and his staff. 

To go from premier league at the most lucrative it’s ever been to this is just shocking. The likes of Burnley who are arguably a smaller club with a smaller budget have thrived through good management and even played in Europe.

To think of how weak the league was and if we had actually spend money in that January window we would have comfortably stayed up, it doesn’t take a genius to see where we were lacking and what needed to be done to fix it. Instead we signed not even championship standard players and replaced our manager with a coach. How can someone who has been involved in football for so many years mess things up to that extent?! 

Then waiting to were relegated and dismantling the team that promoted us was another mistake. Young manager like Monk was a great idea but to expect him to completely transform the club in six months before sacking him? Again absolutely unbelievable. 

Then worse still Pulis and his squad full of 30+ players on big contracts with no sell on value. Again how can anyone think that’s possibly sustainable?!

so it’s no surprise that we are where we are. Club is in a serious relegation fight and no one can deny that. Problem is that we will end up selling anyone we can get decent money for in January as we’re skint because of the mistakes above, most of the teams were fighting won’t have that pressure.

Doesn’t matter who’s in charge, Woodgate is out of his depth, but who will want to come into this, no money, entire squad up for sale and an owner who has no idea what he’s doing. Any decent manager will know this job will likely damage their career with the inevitable relegation.

really do struggle to see where the club goes from here, Gibson doesn’t have the funds to buy his way out of trouble, crowds are massively down, premier league money stopped, very few sellable assets and the majority of the squads contracts are expiring. 

Basically Gibson gets my vote! 

Apart from all that though, would you say things are alright? 

• Haha 3

While we obviously can't blame Woodgate for getting the job and getting shafted in the market - despite signing two full backs that can't even get into the team - he is still the manager and will have to shoulder the blame laid at all managers feet. Our play is incredibly poor al round. We look without ideas and we defend poorly. Those are the kind of things that a manager has to deal with regardless of experience. Blaming our position on bad luck will get us relegated and giving a young manager the job prematurely and not realising it's a mistake will get us relegated. Everything so far points towards relegation or at least a massive scrap to avoid it. A quarter of the season has been played so it's fair to conclude that this team and management setup will not improve enough to get us out of the mess we are in. We're not good enough on almost every aspect of the game and we find ourselves in the bottom three on merit and not because of bad luck. It's a sorry estate of affairs and I don't see a single shred of evidence to suggest it's going to get better. A Championship relegation scrap isn't the place for a novice and we are going to pay the price. 

Totally agree with that borodane, it seems at the minute as if some fans and the clubs hierarchy are sleep walking into relegation.

When do you draw the line between ‘give him some time’ and accepting it’s not going to work? The reaction from some this season is crazy, this is the long term future of our club that is being played with and put at risk with these daft ‘hard working Teessider’ experiments.

We all appreciate Woodgates efforts and what he tried to do, but he just doesn’t seem to be getting the right response from the players which is the worst position to be in imo and that’s why I can’t see things getting better. 

I know I keep harping back to karanka but he’s literally the only example I can think of where a managerial change has worked. When he took over from Mowbray we were in a very similar position to where we are now. In a matter of weeks the team had a strong shape and discipline and most importantly showed a bit of fight and character.

If woodgate had it in him to last as our manager I’d expect to at least see our players fighting for it on the pitch, ratting about after the ball, not giving opposition players a second to settle on it. Your squad doesn’t need to have ‘quality’ to do that, it’s the basics and then the quality shows through.

We are playing exactly like a team playing below themselves, lacking in confidence and leadership. In other words were playing like a relegation team, that comes from the manager.

An interesting question for the board: if a decent Championship manager came in tomorrow, like a Cowley or a Parkinson,  would you expect the performances to improve within a few matches? If so, we probably need to change manager. Alternatively, if this is as much as we can expect from the current crop of players, we might as well stick with the devil we know.

For what it's worth, I think a Nigel Pearson or a Phil Parkinson could get this squad to mid-table within two months. In the process, I also think they could add a few million quid to the sale price of players like Britt, whose time here is surely approaching its end.

53 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

An interesting question for the board: if a decent Championship manager came in tomorrow, like a Cowley or a Parkinson,  would you expect the performances to improve within a few matches? If so, we probably need to change manager. Alternatively, if this is as much as we can expect from the current crop of players, we might as well stick with the devil we know.

For what it's worth, I think a Nigel Pearson or a Phil Parkinson could get this squad to mid-table within two months. In the process, I also think they could add a few million quid to the sale price of players like Britt, whose time here is surely approaching its end.

I'm torn on this. Because I did think that we were much better defensively than we were showing earlier in the season but to his credit woodgate seems to have shored this up in recent weeks. 

However when I look at our attacking options, I genuinely dont see any possible way to get them scoring enough to drag us up the table. We have a proven goalscorer (albeit completely out of form) and absolutely zero creativity. the same issue weve had for years. It's my belief that no one else can get any more out of the attacking side of the pitch than what woodgate is currently getting.

4 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Honestly i think results would improve under a decent championship manager. In terms of examples you gave there i would add Nigel Adkins to the list. He would have this squad performing better than where we are imho.