oneBoro Forum

2 months after the last poll, how confident are you in Woodgate now?

Two months later - how confident are you in Woodgate now?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement
  2. 2. And... In your opinion - do the problems at MFC Stem from....

• Gibson
    • Woody
    • Whoever is in charge of recruitment
    • All of the above

13 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

The old Luck BS excuse rearing its head again. Nothing to do with luck

My previous post was put out in a glibly manner and very much tongue in cheek however there are elements of luck in every game and we have not had any noticeably luck going our way.

Change of Manager, simple choice MFC stick with Woodgate whatever the results and direction of the club and seemingly acceptance of the situation or they don't. I believe someone else probably could inject something to get us going in the right direction.

Promotion is out of the equation for sure where we go now is entirely up to Mr Gibson and his band of merry men.

You have to wonder just what "the cut off" point will be if our continuing lack of points and results does continue and another thought will MFC leave it too late to rectify the situation or at least try to

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Red Bull were already involved with us as Red Bull gives you Wing 😏

But Woody is a rookie manager. He's not got 30 odd years of experience in the game. And guess why we had to hire a rookie manager? Gibson. People point the finger at Woodgate saying he's getting

Ever since Kenyon found Karnaka / Orta and then disappeared any direction we had was scrapped. Under that regime we had an identity weather or not you were a fan of how we played or not. We were signi

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

You have to wonder just what "the cut off" point will be if our continuing lack of points and results does continue and another thought will MFC leave it too late to rectify the situation or at least try to.

Based on past experience, the cut-off point usually comes too late. In my opinion, Mowbray, Southgate and Pulis all stayed beyond the point it was obvious to most fans their time was up. You could argue whether Monk had enough time or not (though like Woody there was no real sign of progress), Karanka probably left too early, Strachan should never have been given a chance in the first place, and Agnew was a non-appointment.

You would have thought being in the bottom three of the second tier in November would be a logical cut-off point for most football club owners, but Gibson would have to tacitly admit he made a mistake by going for the cheap-and-cheerful managerial option. And (also based on past experience), he doesn't tend to admit he's got things wrong.

• Like 1

For me the season is virtually over now in terms of trying to achieve anything positive. 

Regardless of who is in charge for the rest of the season I think the best case scenario is mid table with the current squad. The worst case scenario is obviously relegation which I do think is a very real possibility at the moment. 

I'm not a fan of Woodgate which I've made clear on here but at the moment I can't see any point in sacking him. It's going to waste more of the clubs money which we don't have and a new manager would have the same unbalanced squad. 

I would give him a bit longer to try and turn things round, we're not getting hammered at the moment and while there's not a great deal of points between us mid table I don't think we need to panic yet.

Obviously this would be reassessed as an ongoing process and if we start getting cut adrift from safety then I think Gibson will have to act.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Duvel said:

For me the season is virtually over now in terms of trying to achieve anything positive.

The positive thing to try and achieve this season was to change the footballing culture of the club, which is a roundabout way of saying getting us to play better football.  He has singularly failed to do this so far and at the moment it doesn't appear to be something we even have under consideration.  It appears his 'plan' was for us to play a pressing game and press like lunatics until we got too tired and we've completely moved away from that.  The alternative appears to be barely any different to what we were doing last season but we're less just effective at it.  If this is all that Woodgate has then he should be sacked and we need to move on as that's not going to get it done in the long run.  The only argument I have for not sacking him is that Gibson will almost certainly appoint another manager who plays 'functional' football and we'll be stuck with this crap for eternity.  I still have some very faint hope that Woodgate's intention is to have us playing better football at some point.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

The positive thing to try and achieve this season was to change the footballing culture of the club, which is a roundabout way of saying getting us to play better football.  He has singularly failed to do this so far and at the moment it doesn't appear to be something we even have under consideration.  It appears his 'plan' was for us to play a pressing game and press like lunatics until we got too tired and we've completely moved away from that.  The alternative appears to be barely any different to what we were doing last season but we're less just effective at it.  If this is all that Woodgate has then he should be sacked and we need to move on as that's not going to get it done in the long run.  The only argument I have for not sacking him is that Gibson will almost certainly appoint another manager who plays 'functional' football and we'll be stuck with this crap for eternity.  I still have some very faint hope that Woodgate's intention is to have us playing better football at some point.

I agree with most of that, if the club and Woodgate were being honest in the summer about a change of direction and more attacking style then they didn't stick to it for very long. Maybe it's a case of needing another transfer window or two to clear players out and bring in a few more attack minded players. 

To be honest whatever direction we go in I don't carry much hope. I was very sceptical with all the PR stuff being thrown around in the summer, if we stick with Woodgate I don't have a lot of faith in him, if we are looking to rebuild the squad with more attack minded players then I've go no faith in us recruiting well and if we sack him I've no faith in Gibson appointing the right replacement.  

That's why I'm not calling for Woodgate's head, it would put the club in an even worse financial position and at the moment I don't think it'll make a great deal of difference. The problems run far deeper than a rookie manager who is out of his depth. 

If we are looking like we're in a relegation battle after xmas then Gibson might be forced into a change but even then what will the change be? Someone like Pulis for 15 games to keep us up? Then we'll be back to square 1 in the summer. 

First opportunity this week (hopefully Sunday morning) Gibson should say to Woodgate this coming Saturday if we don't get a result against QPR then you should clear your things out of the managers office. In the meantime Gibson should also put the feelers out asap because I don't believe Woody will get the reprieve he requires.

We have a break the following weekend that should give the new guy a chance to get to know most of the squad. But it will take a fukking  miracle of good results to get us out of this mess by the end of the season.

Thats how confident I am of Woodgate.

In a season of so much disappointment, one of the worst things for me is how quickly Woodgate has abandoned his principles and resorted to a poor attempt at Pulis football. 2 full backs bought (and very much needed!), the big signings of the summer and they’ve been chucked out. Have they really performed worse than everyone else? I thought we were building a new team and philosophy around young, hungry players from the lower divisions ? If you do that you’ve got to expect the odd wobble and poor performance.

Browne has struggled but there’s been a few matches where we’ve needed to change it and add some pace and it’s been crying out for him.  But again he would rather put his faith in one of the oldies than back his new signing. 

The pressing game was abandoned after 1.5 matches. Fry and Wing have regressed. Clayton out in the cold. I honestly can’t see how he will turn it round. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I wonder how long we could leave it in the season to bring a new manager in and turn things around? Maybe the start of February (even though the new manager would have missed the transfer window)?

He's been promised the whole season by Gibson but I reckon if we're still in the bottom 3 going into the last two months of the season he'll get the boot.

Of course by then it'll be too late, as usual.

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

He's been promised the whole season by Gibson but I reckon if we're still in the bottom 3 going into the last two months of the season he'll get the boot.

It'll depend on where we are in the table, if this form continues and we start getting cut adrift from 4th bottom I think a change will have to be made. 

Unless Gibson is comfortable with us getting relegated, which wouldn't surprise me either. 

• Like 1

I have never took to Gibson, when he moved to Ayresome Park I just had this uneasy feeling nowt was gonna come from it. I don't think I have ever made a secret of this.

30 odd years later after winning a cup and finishing in a final of the UEFA  Cup I still feel the same.

I thank him and his partner for the vast investments they made through the Bulk haulage business but I think now is the time for him to sell and allow someone else to take on that responsibility. I personally know sweet FA about running a football club of this size but I reckon all the foundations are there still to make the MFC a good PL club again. It is just waiting on a good business man to step in and correct some of the major faults Gibson as either done or allowed to be done.

So for me Gibson as to go and I believe the rest of the club will breath a sigh of relief when this happens and  then start planning for a better future than thinking about what we are going to do after we drop into the lower leagues.

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

You would think what would the point of sacking him then, at that point. In Gibsons mind he might think that woody "would" be the man to get us back up.

I think now is the time to sack Woody. Gives any new manager time to get to know the squad, shouldn't take long given the lack of depth. 

Though a lot will depend on whether Steve will back any new manager with any funds or not. 

Personally I don't think Steve will sack Woodgate at all, even if we are relegated. Especially if there really is no money then he can't afford to replace him.

A lot is going to depend on home games I think, we have a good run of them through December and the crowd could get quite vocal if we dont perform. The stoke and Huddersfield games either side of Xmas will be massive for us.