oneBoro Forum

2 months after the last poll, how confident are you in Woodgate now?

Two months later - how confident are you in Woodgate now?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement
  2. 2. And... In your opinion - do the problems at MFC Stem from....

• Gibson
    • Woody
    • Whoever is in charge of recruitment
    • All of the above

7 hours ago, Motor Mouth said:

I have never took to Gibson, when he moved to Ayresome Park I just had this uneasy feeling nowt was gonna come from it. I don't think I have ever made a secret of this.

30 odd years later after winning a cup and finishing in a final of the UEFA  Cup I still feel the same.

I thank him and his partner for the vast investments they made through the Bulk haulage business but I think now is the time for him to sell and allow someone else to take on that responsibility. I personally know sweet FA about running a football club of this size but I reckon all the foundations are there still to make the MFC a good PL club again. It is just waiting on a good business man to step in and correct some of the major faults Gibson as either done or allowed to be done.

So for me Gibson as to go and I believe the rest of the club will breath a sigh of relief when this happens and  then start planning for a better future than thinking about what we are going to do after we drop into the lower leagues.

That assumes that there's anyone with any interest in taking over a relegation facing Championship club with one season in the premier league in the last decade, in a depressed area of the UK, with a limited fanbase, no great history, and which needs a complete overhaul in staffing throughout the organisation, from scouting to manager.  Oh, and as a bonus, you need to sink a million quid a month just to keep it running,

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Red Bull were already involved with us as Red Bull gives you Wing 😏

But Woody is a rookie manager. He's not got 30 odd years of experience in the game. And guess why we had to hire a rookie manager? Gibson. People point the finger at Woodgate saying he's getting

Ever since Kenyon found Karnaka / Orta and then disappeared any direction we had was scrapped. Under that regime we had an identity weather or not you were a fan of how we played or not. We were signi

44 minutes ago, Hobo said:

That assumes that there's anyone with any interest in taking over a relegation facing Championship club with one season in the premier league in the last decade, in a depressed area of the UK, with a limited fanbase, no great history, and which needs a complete overhaul in staffing throughout the organisation, from scouting to manager.  Oh, and as a bonus, you need to sink a million quid a month just to keep it running,

Yet Redbull came up for talks to buy the club.

Sick of reading these types of responses, if you think we’re that *** and unattractive of a club why do you even bother?

• Like 1

Ever since Kenyon found Karnaka / Orta and then disappeared any direction we had was scrapped. Under that regime we had an identity weather or not you were a fan of how we played or not. We were signing certain players and looking abroad. We didn't pay to much for Nugent, Kike etc...  We were all pulling in the right direction and we seemed to have football people involved at the club. When it went wrong Gibson clearly shat himself and thought I need to be the puppet master again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Much as I've been proud to sing Gibson's praises over the last 25-30 years, I do feel he's been making one poor decision after another over the last few years...sacking managers at strange times, not backing them in the transfer market at the right times...or more recently handing out large sums of money the club can ill afford.

With the announcement of Woody as manager at the start of this season, it just felt like some Toon fan had kidnapped Gibson and was now masquerading as the chairman.

I just wish I knew what the hell he was thinking.

Having Gibson as our chairman has always felt like a sort of comfort blanket, when you see some of the things that have happened to other clubs, when they've been taken over by foreign owners. Local bloke, lifelong Boro fan, successful businessman, saviour of the club in '86...you always felt the club was safe under his stewardship.

Just lately though it seems like he's slowly turning into Mike Ashley.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

the crowd could get quite vocal if we dont perform

I have a feeling that's the only way that Gibson and Woodgate are going to take notice. Woodgate has already expressed his contempt for 'armchair warriors' and I doubt that SG pays any attention to online comments either.

17 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Looks like someone else is gonna have to run over to the dugout and rip up their season ticket in front of him...

STAMPEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

People's feelings on Woodgate get asked/spoke about the most have done for his whole tenure his stats are some of the worst league stats a manager of our club's ever produced especially in the 2nd tier. Let's game it out a little let's say best case scenario he gets 2 wins out of the next 4 games he'd go to a record of 5 wins in 23 games if he replicates that over the last 23 we'll have 10 wins for the season and probably just enough draws to pad us over 40 points.

That's assuming best case in the next 4 games he has us in a shocking position with 0 away wins and 3 total league wins in 19 games it could be worse we used to say but what's worse than 3 in 19? In that best case we win 2 of the next 4 even that would put us borderline relegation at the half way mark if he does less than 2 wins in the next 4/5 games I don't see how he survives until January and the next 4 games aren't easy especially for him. This might be the last poll of his tenure is all I'm saying I don't see how he stays tenable especially if he fails to pick 2 wins up in the next 4/5 games.

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

There are other clubs with no history to speak off who have been taken over by large money bag owners. Charlton the latest...yes i know its a London club- but just an example that buyers are out there. I wouldn't under estimate our standing in the world esp during the Rav and juninho days which raised our profile on the world stage. 

10 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Yet Redbull came up for talks to buy the club.

Sick of reading these types of responses, if you think we’re that *** and unattractive of a club why do you even bother?

Ha. Yeah, Redbull, right. 

You think we're an attractive proposition at the moment?  Honestly? 

We're a small club with a small fan base. Investors are looking for a return, a source of profit, or at least a publicity machine.  Thinking there's a long line of billionaires who want to buy us - and Gibbo is not listening - is deluded. 

As to why bother; the fact that we are badly run, poorly managed, have thrown away millions on rubbish, doesnt change the fact that it's my team.  I can still point out that rich people are not invested in Boro like we are. 

We have a decent stadium, a good training ground and a great academy with a pretty wide reach. We also still have a bit of clout when it comes to recent history (just). 

Anyway, my feelings remain the same. Woodgate out. Gibson to either sell or step back and appoint a guy with a footballing mind as chairman. 

• Like 1

I think I realised time was finally up when Woodgate got appointed, not that I personally have anything against Woodgate its just an indication of the club’s situation and ambition. Let’s face facts not only will it take time for him to learn his trade at the current level but he will need longer to know how to improve. The fact he is an inexperienced apprentice not a manager says everything about the clubs expectations. 
It is not realistic believing a club like BORO could ever compete with the bigger clubs but we could be the best in our weight class something we are nowhere near. 

12 hours ago, Hobo said:

Ha. Yeah, Redbull, right. 

You think we're an attractive proposition at the moment?  Honestly? 

We're a small club with a small fan base. Investors are looking for a return, a source of profit, or at least a publicity machine.  Thinking there's a long line of billionaires who want to buy us - and Gibbo is not listening - is deluded. 

As to why bother; the fact that we are badly run, poorly managed, have thrown away millions on rubbish, doesnt change the fact that it's my team.  I can still point out that rich people are not invested in Boro like we are. 

You do realise investors care little about size of fan base? The money that comes in from us pays the stadium and that’s about it, it’s a drop in the ocean.

Look at the teams redbull have already, they were hardly giants of the football world when they took over. Redbull were interested in Sunderland after they got relegated and they were interested in us, why can’t people accept that someone might actually want to buy us haha. Some seem hellbent on proving how crap we are.

The truth is we are ripe for investment at this exact moment, while we are a small club we have shown we can sustain ourselves in the premiership and have the infrastructure in place already. Our current predicament means we would be cheap to buy, changes to improve the club would be easy to make to anyone who has a clue and the investment in a good squad to get promotion is nowhere near as big as some would have you believe.

Buyers get their return from the premier league money, you just need a clever one, redbull have a history of running clubs making them the least risky option.

If Red Bull take us over, I’d seriously consider whether I can still support this club. Then again, how different is it to another billionaire taking us over. Red Bull taking us over would just be a more obvious expression of what the game has become, I suppose. I hate football.