oneBoro Forum

2 months after the last poll, how confident are you in Woodgate now?

Two months later - how confident are you in Woodgate now?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Are you....

• Fully confident - needs more time
    • So-So - early days yet
    • Bit worried - not the best start
    • Extremely worried - can't see scope for improvement
  2. 2. And... In your opinion - do the problems at MFC Stem from....

• Gibson
    • Woody
    • Whoever is in charge of recruitment
    • All of the above

4 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

If Red Bull take us over, I’d seriously consider whether I can still support this club. Then again, how different is it to another billionaire taking us over. Red Bull taking us over would just be a more obvious expression of what the game has become, I suppose. I hate football.

Even if they make astute signings and get us into the top half premiership? At Leipzig they have done exactly what we need to do, got someone in to run the club and that guy has done a fantastic job, they may even put that guy in charge here as there is far more money to be made. We would be instantly relevant in football again if they took over.

However I think the ideal option for everyone would be Gibson to change to a spurs type arrangement, put someone in to run the club, like his best mate Kenyon who seems to be sat around bored wanting to run a club. That doesn’t look like it’s going to happen though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Red Bull were already involved with us as Red Bull gives you Wing 😏

But Woody is a rookie manager. He's not got 30 odd years of experience in the game. And guess why we had to hire a rookie manager? Gibson. People point the finger at Woodgate saying he's getting

Ever since Kenyon found Karnaka / Orta and then disappeared any direction we had was scrapped. Under that regime we had an identity weather or not you were a fan of how we played or not. We were signi

Was reading on social media how its a shame for woodgate that he has been screwed over by Gibson and not given support. I disagree, there is no way that guy has taken a job and not been aware of the situation regarding player signings the ability to complete. He had a summer of signing lower division players and still had the belief he could manage on that. If it was true he was promised this and that and wasn't, walk away and tell it how it is. I believe he knew the situation and was to naive to understand the size of the task. I dare say he isn't short of a bob or two and doesn't need the job for the money side. He needs to take his share of the blame- we've been crap long before the injuries

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ballyclover said:

Was reading on social media how its a shame for woodgate that he has been screwed over by Gibson and not given support. I disagree, there is no way that guy has taken a job and not been aware of the situation regarding player signings the ability to complete. He had a summer of signing lower division players and still had the belief he could manage on that. If it was true he was promised this and that and wasn't, walk away and tell it how it is. I believe he knew the situation and was to naive to understand the size of the task. I dare say he isn't short of a bob or two and doesn't need the job for the money side. He needs to take his share of the blame- we've been crap long before the injuries

Woodgate definitely knew the financial situation, it's the main reason he got the job. He's prepared to be a "yes man" to Gibson, the other candidates we interviewed weren't.

• Sad 1

In fairness, if I was offered the chance to manage my hometown club, I'd probably become a yes man for a while. And I wouldn't be minded to quit, either. I don't blame Woodgate for taking the job or hanging on, but on current evidence it seems to be beyond him.

The real blame for this situation lies with the man who appointed Woodgate. And Pulis. And Monk. And Agnew. And Strachan. And Southgate.

18 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Even if they make astute signings and get us into the top half premiership? At Leipzig they have done exactly what we need to do, got someone in to run the club and that guy has done a fantastic job, they may even put that guy in charge here as there is far more money to be made. We would be instantly relevant in football again if they took over.

However I think the ideal option for everyone would be Gibson to change to a spurs type arrangement, put someone in to run the club, like his best mate Kenyon who seems to be sat around bored wanting to run a club. That doesn’t look like it’s going to happen though.

Yeah I get that and I agree that they’d turn us around. Of all the billionaire investors they’re probably the least risky. It’s more what they represent I take issue with. However, as I said in my first post, they’re not that different from any other billionaire chairman. I think it’s that inevitable rebrand that makes it seem worse than other takeovers. Our whole club would become an advert - that’s not a boro I’d have a clean conscience supporting. 

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
36 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Our whole club would become an advert - that’s not a boro I’d have a clean conscience supporting. 

Yet we were all happy to play at the Cellnet Riverside Stadium, wearing Cellnet-branded replica shirts. And now we're sponsored by a gambling company - the same firm sponsoring five other clubs in our league alone. I find that far more morally repugnant than the prospect of being owned by an energy drink brand. I haven't bought a Boro replica shirt for a decade, because I'm not willing to advertise gambling firms or pawnbrokers as I walk around.

Steve Gibson is very unusual in not using his ownership of the club to promote other businesses he owns. Apart from Rockliffe ads on the trackside boards, I'm struggling to think of anything - there's certainly no Bulkhaul flags flying on the East Stand. Other rich owners take a different approach, which is why Arsenal play at the Emirates and Man City play at the Etihad. Progress comes as a price.

Would you rather be a middling Championship club sponsored by pawnbrokers and gambling firms, or an established Premier League club sponsored by a drinks firm?

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Yet we were all happy to play at the Cellnet Riverside Stadium, wearing Cellnet-branded replica shirts. And now we're sponsored by a gambling company - the same firm sponsoring five other clubs in our league alone. I find that far more morally repugnant than the prospect of being owned by an energy drink brand. I haven't bought a Boro replica shirt for a decade, because I'm not willing to advertise gambling firms or pawnbrokers as I walk around.

Steve Gibson is very unusual in not using his ownership of the club to promote other businesses he owns. Apart from Rockliffe ads on the trackside boards, I'm struggling to think of anything - there's certainly no Bulkhaul flags flying on the East Stand. Other rich owners take a different approach, which is why Arsenal play at the Emirates and Man City play at the Etihad. Progress comes as a price.

Would you rather be a middling Championship club sponsored by pawnbrokers and gambling firms, or an established Premier League club sponsored by a drinks firm?

Yeah - the whole stadium name change made me cringe at first...but look at what Cellnet's sponsorship enabled us to do.

I could live with Boro playing at the Red Bull Riverside Stadium. As long as they didn't try to change the club name or badge, like they did at Hull and Cardiff.

Wouldn't even object to a third / away strip in Red Bull's colours.

What I would want in return is for some astute leadership in the boardroom, appointing people who can get the club on a sound financial footing, get a coaching & managerial team in place that can actually improve the players we have and maybe even set up a scouting network that can bring in some genuine talent, at reasonable prices.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

What I would want in return is for some astute leadership in the boardroom, appointing people who can get the club on a sound financial footing, get a coaching & managerial team in place that can actually improve the players we have and maybe even set up a scouting network that can bring in some genuine talent, at reasonable prices.

You've just described Steve Gibson twenty years ago! If he can't or won't do the above any more, I'd gladly let Red Bull do everything you've listed in exchange for branding rights and the odd showcase match around the world.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Yes. As I've noted in both of my previous replies, I'm aware that there's not that much difference between being Red Bull Boro or being owned by a billionaire owner who would still use the club to promote their own business. My issue is more with having to sell out to be successful in the first place. Obviously I'd rather we weren't a middling championship club but to even have a chance of being a top club we would need to be bought by billionaires and therefore become part of the problem. I despise that football is a game where success is determined by money. I would never expect Middlesbrough to be winning premier league titles but it's disheartening to know that the reason we never have a chance of doing so is because we don't have the money. And being taken over by Red Bull and the inevitable rebrand that would accompany it is the ultimate expression of the necessity of money in football. It's not Red Bull as a brand. It's what their takeover, or any billionaire takeover for that matter, would represent. 

Progress comes at a price but depending on your point of view the extent of that price can vary considerably. Ultimately, my main issues with football would probably require a restructuring of the entire world economy to be resolved. So yeah, can't see it happening.