oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Derby (A) 0-2

The 'spend more money' thing is weaponized by people like Vickers and the club it's just a popular generalization used by alot of Boro fans the past 5 years that they love to face imo, going forward the best way to voice the dissent needs to be done without giving them that particular straw man we watched Karanka build a decent side on a 5 million a summer budget Woodgate got 3 league 1 players he himself identified as crucial to his project Karanka piecemealed a side with Chelsea loans, couple of frees and a couple of 1-2 mill signings that spend more stuff is almost irrelevant they use that as a get out 'well we spent money on Saville last summer' it's a merry-go-round with them there's 10s of other issues of mismanagement from Woodgate/Gibson I can point to before we get to finances.

Bare in mind the club made conscious deliberate decisions in the summer to keep Britt/McNair/Randolph we'll be lucky to get 5-7 million for Britt now and these reckless financial decisions will get a throwaway 'things are easier with hindsight' in the Gazette apologia piece when this debacle's over it's infuriating.

• Like 8
  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 'spend more money' thing is weaponized by people like Vickers and the club it's just a popular generalization used by alot of Boro fans the past 5 years that they love to face imo, going forward t

Hey folks...first time I've done one of these in a long time, so be gentle!     Summary Boro travel to Derby with a realistic chance of getting something from this fixture. W

Boro fans: He should have walked home, he should have walked home, Richard Keogh, he should have walked home

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

The 'spend more money' thing is weaponized by people like Vickers and the club it's just a popular generalization used by alot of Boro fans the past 5 years that they love to face imo, going forward the best way to voice the dissent needs to be done without giving them that particular straw man we watched Karanka build a decent side on a 5 million a summer budget Woodgate got 3 league 1 players he himself identified as crucial to his project Karanka piecemealed a side with Chelsea loans, couple of frees and a couple of 1-2 mill signings that spend more stuff is almost irrelevant they use that as a get out 'well we spent money on Saville last summer' it's a merry-go-round with them there's 10s of other issues of mismanagement from Woodgate/Gibson I can point to before we get to finances.

Bare in mind the club made conscious deliberate decisions in the summer to keep Britt/McNair/Randolph we'll be lucky to get 5-7 million for Britt now and these reckless financial decisions will get a throwaway 'things are easier with hindsight' in the Gazette apologia piece when this debacle's over it's infuriating.

I hate them excuses and cliches they come out with, ‘you can’t just pick strikers off the shelf’, ‘nobody wants to play in the north east’.

well when we got relegated we had bamford already at the club, did fans demand Gibson splash another £20m on strikers? No we didn’t, even the fans knew we needed wide players and a better midfield and full backs.

As for players not wanting to come here did we not have vossen, stuani, kalas, nsue, adomah? All internationals, all putting their all in for us, maybe I just imagined it.

Its almost as if when you employ a good manager these players DO want to come here. Yes we might have to pay more in wages but surely there is a sensible way of doing it? Burnley have showed us how it’s done.

To many excuses, we aren’t in this position due to circumstance but absolutely awful incompetence, there’s no other way of putting it.

• Like 5

The opening paragraph of the Gazette match ratings article sounds like they've given up even trying to offer any insight or hope any more. It simply says: "Boro's search for a win goes on after they were beaten at Derby County." I mean Ceefax was more descriptive than that.

Perhaps they've run out of ways to try and spin things on behalf of the club. Or maybe they just can't be arsed anymore?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

Well here is a positive of sort, at least we will not suffer our usual Xmas period slump this season:classic_laugh:

Yep - looking on the bright side, its impossible to slump if you've already hit rock bottom. 😆

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ayresome7 said:

The problem if we go down to League 1 (Division 3) is that clubs in that league will be spending more money than us with more ambitious owners so with the large turnover of players with the contract situation we could quite easily become a mid table team.

Thats was the fear I alluded to in an earlier post.

The gap between the Championship and League 1 isn't as wide as some may think. With the reduced revenue, the playing staff budget would have to be slashed even further...leaving us with god knows what kind of a squad.

1 hour ago, Lord_Moose said:

Has to go now, I know it won't stop Gibson's ineptitude but Woodgate is worse than we all expected pre season.

Surely appointing someone like Sol Campbell or Hasslebaink would have been just as good if not better than Woodgate? they actaully have experience for a start. 

God no!

Did you see what Campbell did at Macclesfield? Now he's moved on to Southend (my real home town club) and they're not exactly doing well.

We need a decent manager, who knows how to pull a motley collection of players into something resembling a competent team. Gibson needs to be prepared to at least offer a decent manager's wage. 

My preference would be for someone in the Sam Allardyce mould (or at least someone who doesn't expect a hefty transfer kitty).

19 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

God no!

Did you see what Campbell did at Macclesfield? Now he's moved on to Southend (my real home town club) and they're not exactly doing well.

We need a decent manager, who knows how to pull a motley collection of players into something resembling a competent team. Gibson needs to be prepared to at least offer a decent manager's wage. 

My preference would be for someone in the Sam Allardyce mould (or at least someone who doesn't expect a hefty transfer kitty).

If he wanted a cheap, youngish and relatively new manager manager then they are definitely better options than Woodgate was.

Like you say we definitely need that experience now. I'd happily have Allardyce, I'd even try getting Warnock at this rate (Not Gibsons MO though) anything's better than this mess.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

God no!

Regarding Campbell 100% in agreement with you AR the guy seems to have a major chip on his shoulder, needing a course in people management skills may help.

Now Hasselebaink I have always liked him as a player, listened to his chat in the commentry box on TV and he seems to have a good understanding for the game, so perhaps a good choice there. Desperation calls for desperate measures.

The Shrimpers eh, your home town club have the same problem as Boro a chairman who will not be turned from whatever his target is, will not sell to the major supermarket or perhaps he as by now it was a couple of years ago after all 

I was just writing earlier about my season supporting them. What a season that was but as I said it did prepare me for this slump with Boro..

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats was the fear I alluded to in an earlier post.

The gap between the Championship and League 1 isn't as wide as some may think. With the reduced revenue, the playing staff budget would have to be slashed even further...leaving us with god knows what kind of a squad.

The gap between the championship and league one is huge. Bigger than the championship to the premiership imo ( maybe besides the top six prem). Look at all the clubs who have freefalled into L1 over the past decade. The vast majority have easily stabilized there and been challenging for top 6 positions instantly. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dan1234 said:

The gap between the championship and league one is huge. Bigger than the championship to the premiership imo ( maybe besides the top six prem). Look at all the clubs who have freefalled into L1 over the past decade. The vast majority have easily stabilized there and been challenging for top 6 positions instantly. 

I was looking at it from the other direction. Of the 3 clubs that got promoted last season, 2 of them are currently above us...and Charlton are doing a hell of a lot better than we are (and they were the play-off winners).

Basically, the best L1 sides are not much different to lower / mid-table Championship teams.

If Boro got relegated, even more cost-cutting would be necessary, making us even weaker and it is quite possible we could sink into mid-table obscurity.

24 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I was looking at it from the other direction. Of the 3 clubs that got promoted last season, 2 of them are currently above us...and Charlton are doing a hell of a lot better than we are (and they were the play-off winners).

Basically, the best L1 sides are not much different to lower / mid-table Championship teams.

If Boro got relegated, even more cost-cutting would be necessary, making us even weaker and it is quite possible we could sink into mid-table obscurity.

Or even drop further to League 2, the 4th Division. Shudder.

3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

God no!

I think Tony Pulis is available...😂

• Like 1