oneBoro Forum

Rudy Gestede and the on-going injury saga.

So once again it is being reported that Gestede is injured once again and will not be available for another 6 weeks or so.

Nothing new there and no surprises whatsoever but certainly questions need to be asked and discussed because this situation seems to typify all that is wrong with MFC.

This is not a player bashing thread but surely his signing has to be seen as the worst signing in recent years due to what the club has got out of him but more so that the club seems to have allowed this to continue for so long.

I recently mentioned that he should have been medically retired, to the amusement of quite a few and by now his contract with the club should have been mutually terminated, was I wrong?

What are the medical staff doing with his constant rehab, are they allowing him to train knowing that he is not really fit and any kind of training will impact his recovering injury? If so this does not say a lot about them.

We all have voice our opinions about the player, attitude's and such like but is the club culpable in continuing with this fiasco? because it really is a fiasco!

Can we ever really expect him to be a vital part towards helping us get out of our current predicament, or should we simply forget the stupidity shown by the club surrounding the player in question?

What the hell is happening to Gestede in training, is he physically fit and able to be a professional football player? If not then why have the club not terminated his contract?

Personally I believe we are  culpable in allowing individuals to take liberties, only in football because you and I in civvy street would not get away with it. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was actually thinking the other day about whether we should try Gestede and Britt up front together. With almost zero creativity in the team it might have been an option to go route one and I think

Gestede looked a risky signing when we signed him in January 2017 so it's little wonder how badly the move has turned out. £6 million fee and probably £30k+ a week wages for three and a half years mak

So it's a baseless accusation then, because he's not in the squad very often he must be faking injury, well done on making that jump. I'd love to understand the link between him and Rodwell here, Rodw

Posted Images

I was actually thinking the other day about whether we should try Gestede and Britt up front together. With almost zero creativity in the team it might have been an option to go route one and I think it would suit Britt's game to play off a target man. 

But to answer your question, yeah he's been an awful signing. I'd watched him a few times before we signed him and I knew he was never a Premier league player in a million years. 

To be fair to him the fact that he's a poor footballer, massively overpaid and permanently injured is not really his fault. I would question who thought 7m plus big wages on him was a good idea. 

• Like 3

I think Gestede has to be a contender for the worst signing we've made this decade. There was hostility between him and our fans before he joined, he did nothing to stop the PL decline, he's soaked up huge sums in wages, his contributions have been fleeting and awful (one or two of his goal-hanging misses still haunt me), he brings nothing to the team apart from height, he's perpetually injured and now seems pretty much unsellable. In terms of injuries, he makes Darren Anderton look like John Terry. He also encapsulates everything that's wrong with modern football - overpaid, underperforming, unaccountable and apathetic.

Very poor footballer and a nothing contribution. Huge financial burden on the club. The economic side of the deal has got nothing to do with him. All that blame should go toward the man who signed of the deal. The fee was way to high and not inserting a relegation wage reduction clause in our position is gross neglect. And you can't just medically retire someone for have various short term injuries. Someone at the club seriously messed up with this contract and that has got nothing to do with the player.

Everything taken into account Gestede is probably the worst signing the club has ever made in terms of value for money. I'm still not blaming the player though. I'd happily be in his position.

Regardless of what your opinion on the player is, he's here because we're bloody woeful at recruiting players well. And no, I absolutely wouldn't like to see us medically retire a player when he's still working hard to get back into the team.

Remember a lot of places wouldn't have you sign a 4 year contract with protections for you written into your deal. Players are in a really strong position in these deals and good on them, we should all be able to hold our employers to better working standards and hold them responsible for making *** decisions.

If we're going to get political then we absolutely should not be saying he shouldn't be allowed those protections because most of us wouldn't get them, we should fight to ensure we do get them as workers and hold our government to account over that, vote for people who rebalance the ideologies so workers gain some bloody power back.

• Like 1

Gestede looked a risky signing when we signed him in January 2017 so it's little wonder how badly the move has turned out. £6 million fee and probably £30k+ a week wages for three and a half years makes for scary thought. That January 2017 window was when things massively fell apart. We were pretty solid in most games but needed some creative spark adding to the team. Instead blown loads of money on awful and expensive signings like Gestede and Gueudiora. It was as if we had money burning a hole in our pocket and we just wanted to spend it despite us not particularly needing them players.

The only signing which made sense in that transfer window was Bamford. He should have been build around after relegation. However, despite us already having Bamford and Gestede, 6 months later we decided to throw £15 million at Assombalonga, £7 million at Fletcher - both inferior strikers to Bamford - and £9 million on Braithwaite. All them signings created the financial pressure to sell Bamford, the best striker of the lot, just 18 months after signing him. The lack of joined up thinking is simply bonkers.

Gestede and many other high earners are thankfully out of contract in the Summer so the end is thankfully in sight at least.

• Like 2

I’m not sure if this correct (as I’m getting old and my memory is shoddy at best) but don’t the club or players have some sort of insurance against injuries. 

is this a thing or am I making it up 

Surely that as to be a local abattoir,were he can be taken to.

But like most have already said not the players fault its the guy that signed him and the scout that brought him to the attention of the club. I know where my money lie's,  say no more don't want to get off topic.

One can only hope that the MFC learns from these costly mistakes it keeps making, but does it I wonder.