oneBoro Forum

Who was our worst-ever signing?

A discussion on another thread has made me speculate about who our worst-ever signing has been?

I suspect this will reveal a lot about how long you've followed the Boro, but my money is on Rudy Gestede. He's given virtually nothing to us while taking an indecent amount in return, and there's been enmity between him and our supporters since long before he arrived.

However, I can think of plenty of other nominees going back to the Robbo era, and even further back. The only criteria are (a) they must have played for us (no answers of Neil Bausor, please), and (b) they must have joined us permanently (it's not fair to include loanees like Andy Dibble, even though he deserves an honourable mention).

Suggestions?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Need to look at overall cost, transfer and wages, the era they were purchased, the years service we got or didn't, as well as just pure ability and impact.  Also how they impacted the other players an

Worst signing? Our head of recruitment. He’s been like a defender making own goals every match. 

No matter what category you carry out for your worst signing, mine of 47 years following the Boro is also Gestsde, everything that is wrong in a footballer is right there with him

Kris Boyd for me was so disappointing. He arrived as a hotshot goalscorer and done nothing for us.

He looked out of shape and totally dis-interested.

23 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Alfonso Alves if we're talking fee paid vs goals scored.

If we're talking genuinely terrible footballer regardless of cost then in my lifetime it's got to be Mickaël Debève.

To be fair to the 'goal machine', at least he did provide one or two good moments. Got a brace against United didn't he?

I can think of plenty of Boro players who haven't brought one second of joy or entertainment to the Riverside. 

But yeah, ultimately, what a horrible waste of money. 

Where do you start. Ricketts should be up there but is saved after scoring the vital goal against Spurs the season we won the cup although he was useless. I will also discount short term loan signings so Folan Dibble Bent and the like are saved. Mark Wilson came in and did nothing despite his promising reputation. 

Gestede is definitely one off the top of my head due to how much he is currently getting paid and the fact he has been mostly injured and we will likely not receive anything back in return for goals and money. Euell ended up being worse than I had hoped but he was at least a free. 

I could ramble on as names keep coming into my head but I'm going to go with Phil Whelan.

19 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

To be fair to the 'goal machine', at least he did provide one or two good moments. Got a brace against United didn't he?

I can think of plenty of Boro players who haven't brought one second of joy or entertainment to the Riverside. 

But yeah, ultimately, what a horrible waste of money. 

He scored a hat-trick in the 8-1 drubbing of Man City but he was still incredibly poor value for money plus all the hype when he signed.

With Alves many are judging on a few one on ones he missed but in comparison to say Britt he was head and shoulders a far better striker than him.

I liked him to be honest and you always felt something was going to happen.

Kris Boyd to me was a massive spud! 

• Like 1

yes Gestedes right up there ,no doubting that .  theres a few definitions of bad signings ,  overpaying for them, just plain rubbish, non essential positions at the time, to name just 3, and id put gestede along with the likes of Guediora, kike sola, gook, all strachans scottish league signings , Saville, Bent, Euell, to name a few off the top of my hed in those definitions, 

but for me the ones that really stick out are those that really let me down as i was expecting a massive amount more from them so i,l mention , Davenport, Senior, and Gascoigne .

2 hours ago, Essuuaitch said:

But for me the ones that really stick out are those that really let me down as i was expecting a massive amount more from them so i,l mention , Davenport, Senior, and Gascoigne .

Perhaps it's nostalgia clouding my judgement, but I thought Gazza did okay for us - even though he was a pale imitation of his former self. Didn't he score a few goals in the 98-99 season?

I wondered about Alves, but that ludicrous fee wasn't his fault. Anyone capable of scoring a hat-trick against Man City (even as they were back then) must have had something about him, and he was playing under Southgate at his most timid and meek. I think Didier Digard was a worse signing from that era, even for significantly less money.

Gestede or guedioura for me. Signed for decent money at an important time for the club regarding our future. Neither played 10 games between them. Awful.

Braithwaite has to be up there due to cost and terrible attitude.

Saville, £7m on a Cm when we already had 2 thousand at the club, has gone on to do absolutely f all

A bit off topic, but it was rather weird when we signed Ince, Pallister, Gazza, Parlour etc.. They were Mainly over the hill and not long term solutions. 

Must have been expensive too.. 

Tiendalli or Kike Sola. 

Tiendalli was just absolutely horrific and got absolutely mullered. Kike Sola played 45 minutes and I don't think he actually win a single header or did anything with the ball at his feet. Never before have I ever been relieved that someone was hooked at half time.