• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Need to look at overall cost, transfer and wages, the era they were purchased, the years service we got or didn't, as well as just pure ability and impact.  Also how they impacted the other players an

Worst signing? Our head of recruitment. He’s been like a defender making own goals every match. 

No matter what category you carry out for your worst signing, mine of 47 years following the Boro is also Gestsde, everything that is wrong in a footballer is right there with him

11 hours ago, Borodane said:

Imagine if we could just get the 35ish million back we've spent on Saville, Gestede, Britt and Fletcher. 

I would snap a buyers hand off for a combined 20m or even 15m now

9 hours ago, SmogDane said:

I would snap a buyers hand off for a combined 20m or even 15m now

Tbh I think we'd be lucky to get 10. Britt 6 mil, Fletcher and Saville 2 each.

Ashcroft......I still have flashbacks to THAT moment at Orient when he showed his real level......the only time he ever looked good for us, it transpired he was suffering from concussion and had no idea what was going on

• Haha 1

Going through the years I've followed us and picking up some names:

Afonso Alves
Didier Digard
Mark Yeates
Lee Miller
Kevin Thomson
Tarmo Kink
Kei Kamara
Yanic Wildschut
Julien de Sart
Carlos de Pena
Kike Sola
Rudy Gestede
Adlene Guedioura
Antonio Barragan
Ashley Fletcher
Ryan Shotton
Marvin Johnson
Aden Flint
George Saville
Rajiv van la Parra

Some of them are context-driven, some of them were just wastes of money (some like Alves, we were lucky to only make a relatively small loss on them considering how much we overpaid).

Based on context of what we needed, the money spent bringing him in and his pretty ineffective time at the club so far, Saville has to be up there right now with the worst signings we've ever made in my time of following Boro. I'd probably put him at the top of that list over any of the others.

Gestede is definitely up there, though as I've said before, at least we needed something different at the top end of the pitch when we signed him. That's probably one of the only things that separates him and Saville for me. In third place would be the same window, Adlene Guedioura. And he's only in 3rd because we were lucky and he agreed to leave for pretty much nothing. He is one of the worst examples of this club offering a manager inadequate tools for horrid money and it compounded one of the worst transfer windows we've ever seen. Elsewhere...

...as much as I like Ashley Fletcher and Marvin Johnson right now, and great credit to them for changing my mind because I didn't think I'd see the day, the context of why we signed them both at the time frustrates me beyond reason and is everything wrong with Monk's failure at the club.

Didier Digard was a nothing player bought for our highest fee that summer. Lee Miller cost us money and that's pretty outrageous in and of itself. Kink had a couple of rockets in him, quite like Malaury Martin, but was largely ineffectual. De Sart was a long-term experiment which never came to fruition, whether that was down to him or the club, I don't know. Most if not all speak for themselves I believe, so I'll not drag this post on any longer.

• Like 1

As someone else has mentioned, Phil Whelan must be right up there.  The best part about his signing was that we managed to do it after the window had closed so he couldn't actually play for us for the rest of the season and we were therefore able to safely win promotion.  He was useless.  Lee Miller must also be competing for the title, he makes Gestede look like Harry Kane by comparison.

Can't really claim this as one I've  never seen him play , but my dad & his mates were adamant George Kinnell back in the 60s was bought but was a sunlun double agent - he apparently cost us promotion by gifting goals away left right & centre in the couple of months he was here ( hence the chant " we paid £40,000, ****ing ' ell!)

from personnel memory ( not counting one or 2 game wonders) I'd name 

Marlon King ( nasty piece of work)

phil,whelan ( why?)

gestede & ricketts

Edited by TheLeftFooter

Britt would fetch more than £6m. he has scored 14 for forest then 2 seasons of 15+ for us and has 6 this season. He has his downsides, but he is only 26 and if he can score 15 goals in defensively set up team like ours was the last 2 seasons, or 6 in the shower we've been this season, he is obviously going to give a positive goal return. 

I think if we paired him with the right player and had the right supportive players he would get more. As it stands, he will miss loads with no-one to mop them up a bit like Rhodes did (ironically it was Gestede profiting off the ones where Rhodes didn't put them away for blackburn)

• Like 1
On 11/1/2019 at 7:12 AM, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Both loans, at least read the OP.

And lol at whoever just mentioned Ince, he was a great captain for us and exactly what we needed at the time, someone to enforce the midfield. 

I'll give you Ray Parlour though, that was an odd one.

I think Parlour was signed in the hope/expectation he'd be another Merson for us. 

Gestede would be top of a long list of forwards including 'goal machine' Afonso Alves, Michael Ricketts (some leeway allowed for his goal at Spurs), Mido, Kris Boyd, Alliadiare, Peter Davenport and Braithwaite (who took us for a ride for £9m)