oneBoro Forum

Should Some Clubs Merge to Become New Clubs.?

Just a discussion point. With some clubs looking to may be go under.

Why don't Stockport County merge with the new club being muted at Chester? Call them Cheshire County,nicknamed The Cats(Cheshire Cats gedditt???:-/,oh please yerselves).That way Stockport get a ground & Chester get a club back in town?

Tranmere & Macclesfield could get together,better than losing both clubs.

Pompy & Aldershot form the Hampshire Hawks.

There are a lot of clubs in financial meltdown.Would fans rather their club being terminated or gaining new identity.:huh:

Look at Hartlepool,even when they were at the top end of their league,they struggled to get 5K.Yet Darlington has a new ground & owners but can't fill it.Merge & form Tees Valley Athletc,you should get a few mill from the sale of Victoria.Make some nice new appartments or shopping complex.:dodgy:

Yes we would all like to keep our identities,but to the point of extinction?

You could always reform old clubs in non league & use them as reserve sides.Thus keeping a bit of tradition. I can see clubs becoming frachises in future.

Sunderland wouldn't have us.Plus Sunderland are fairly safe.Quinn will make sure there is no return to the bad old days.Newcastle are only in a dodgy situation because of the owner.They can get 50K in to watch a match.We need Man U to drag in over 30K.

A bit of a difference wouldn't you say?

So I give you another scenario.What if Boro are in a 86 position again,would you rather share with Darlington or go under completely?

Why don't Stockport County merge with the new club being muted at Chester?

I wouldn't be too happy with having to drive over to Birkenhead to watch Macc for home games.

Sunderboro?

You certainly know how to put people off their tea's don't cha. :)

Did I read somewhere we have to find 7 mill for running the Riverside for the full season.

That is an awful wieght around the MFCs neck before they even start playing is'nt it.

I suggest more sponsor boards cover the ground in adverts. :)

Big flashing signs on the top of the stadium advertising 24/7,make use of that carpark as well sell parking spots for out of town workers.

If we had to share a ground I would vote for Darlo,and when the scrap the Riverside use it towards the running costs.

I have never liked the Riverside anyways.. :)

I wouldn't be too happy with having to drive over to Birkenhead to watch Macc for home games.

Would you prefer not watching Macclesfield at all?I was not proposing a ground share,but an actual merging of both clubs, should the worse ever happen.I only picked those teams as they had problems & are both Cheshire clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm Birkenhead is in Merseyside mate

Merseyside is not a county,but an administrative area.Same as Humberside took over the running of Hull(Yorks)Grimsby(Lincs)& other councils in that area.

Certain other bodies/agencies still run on old county boundaries.

I still see roadsigns for Teesside,but that was replaced by Cleveland many moons ago.The area is supposedly called Tees Valley now.

Lancashire CCC still play matchs in Merseyside.Are they wrong to?

I didn't want to be pedantic,especially on a Friday.But the onlyway Tranmere is heading(2nd Division),is headlong to extinction.Then you won't have a club in Birkenhead & you will have to go & watch the mickie mousers around Stanley Park.

Hey,I do not want to see an end to Tranmere,but what would you rather have, a club or no club at all?

I wouldn't be too happy with having to drive over to Birkenhead to watch Mac for home games. There are a lot of clubs in financial meltdown.Would fans rather their club being terminated or gaining new identity.

Once distance becomes an issue then of course you lose your local clubs identity even if they were have to merge. Look at Darlington fans they really do not seem bothered at all with the current state of affairs and I do not think the League will allow another MK Dons situation so for me clubs merging just will not happen

me nither since macc are my home team where i was born

I hope it never happens,but Chester have gone and now Farsley.It could be Macclesfield next.Then you won't have anywhere to drive to.It doesn't have to be Tranmere,it was only a suggestion based on old county lines.It could be Crewe or whoever.

As for the league not allowing another M.K.Dons,don't bet your heating allowence on it.

They have been a success,& are doing nicely in the 3rd tier.I bet that within 10 years,we will have franchises in the league.

I agree with Downsouth about Darlington folk not being bothered & its sad.

As for folk not going to another ground to watch their team.How about AFC Wimbledon?They go to Kingston to watch their team & they are flourishing in the Blue Square Prem,from humble Isthmian beginnings.

If you want a team,you'le fight for it.You'le support them.

Linth the distance from Wimbledon and Kingston is less than two miles and where the pitch is situated is far easier and travel friendly than the old ground at Plough Lane.

Yes MK Dons could happen again but there are not too many big towns that dont have a team that could be considered attractive alternatives. It has worked well at MK and they do get a lot of Bucks supporters now how many original Dons fans go is hard to say!