oneBoro Forum

Boro V Hull City 2-2 (Tavernier, Fletcher)

Welcome to the Official oneBoro Match Day Thread for the EFL Championship fixture between Middlesbrough and Hull City. 

Boro currently find themselves in the bottom 3 of the Championship without a win in 7 league matches... that win against Reading seems an awfully long time ago... well that's because it was!

Hull find themselves middle of the pile in 12th having won 3 of their last 5, the wins coming away to Fulham and Forest whilst beating Derby at home. 

These sides have met 52 times previously in the league - Boro winning 25, 14 in Hulls favour and 13 draws - Boro will need to add to their winning total, otherwise even the most optimistic of fans and managers will have to admit Boro are in a relegation scrap!

Last Time Out

QPR 2 - 2 Boro

spacer.png

Britt Assombalonga scored twice for struggling Middlesbrough as they drew 2-2 at QPR in the Sky Bet Championship.

Boro were staring at another defeat before Nahki Wells' appalling back-pass went straight to Assombalonga, who capitalised by calmly lifting the ball over keeper Joe Lumley.

Wells' ninth goal of the season had brought Rangers level just after they had fallen behind to Assombalonga's first, and an own goal by Jonny Howson a minute before half-time meant the hosts led at the interval.

After 'keeper Darren Randolph pushed out Grant Hall's header, the ball bounced off the unfortunate Howson and into the net.

That seemed to sum up what has been a miserable season for Jonathan Woodgate's Boro side so far - but they left with a point courtesy of Assombalonga's 69th-minute equaliser.
(Source - Sky Sports)

Hull 0 - 1 WBA

West Brom consolidated their position at the summit of the Championship table with a hard-fought 1-0 win over Hull at the KCOM Stadium.

The Baggies did not have it all their own way in East Yorkshire and Grant McCann's side were confident having won their last three outings, but it was an old face that came back to haunt the Tigers.

Jake Livermore, who spent three-and-a-half seasons as a Hull player before joining West Brom in 2017, scored the only goal in the 28th minute, firing home from distance.

The home side had their chances, with Kamil Grosicki spurning their most notable opportunity, but West Brom showed the grit of promotion contenders to ensure Livermore's strike was decisive.

(Source - Sky Sports)

Lazy Scouting

Jarrod Bowen

spacer.png

The 23-year-old is already into double figures for the season with 9 league and 1 cup goal in the bag. Hull slapped a £20m price tag on the striker with Spurs sniffing around the youngster in previous transfer windows. He has continued his fine form from last season when he slotted 22 goals in 46 appearances in an otherwise unremarkable season for Hull. Signed by Hull whilst in the Premier League from then Conference side Hereford United, the punt on a young potential seems to be paying off.

Talking Points

- Will Woodgate stick with the same side from QPR?

- What is the key to Boro taking 3 points from the game?

- Will Britt Assombalonga now find some confidence in front of goal?

- Is Lewis Wing performing to his potential?

• Like 4
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUGGER That was a bit of a shame, wasn't it 😢 First half was some good stuff and we were a much more confident looking side than you'd think we would be.  The early goal obviously helped a g

Sorry - but it’s a bit unfair to be  hammering the manager for bringing off 1 of 2 attackers to try and defend a 2 goal league. Almost any manager would do that - and it makes sense tactically. You co

Welcome to the Official oneBoro Match Day Thread for the EFL Championship fixture between Middlesbrough and Hull City.  Boro currently find themselves in the bottom 3 of the Championship without

Posted Images

Same team, we've got to hope that they've practiced defending balls in to the box, and hope Assombalonga plays as well as he did against QPR.

Wing has been poor all season, but Saville is his only real competitor and has been even worse.

Very important game for the Boro.

Most of us would agree that we did show some grit and determination against QPR and overall were pleased with the performance.

This has to be carried on and improved upon especially at home against a team that previously would not have bothered me.

However Hull have shown some mettle of late and will see this trip as a potential away win.

Wing needs to come good but I think he has to be higher up the field, could be a case of ra ra ra go adam to start with and hopefully your Friend and mine will be a lot sharper in his decision making.

Going to be goals in this game and could be a good game to watch for the neutrals.

First win for Boro in what seems an age!  

As much as I hope Boro will win this one, I don't think the break will have done us much good, mainly because I don't think our coaching team is good enough to improve our play. It'll be another hard game and the odds are probably close to 33-34-33. If I was pressed to put money on the game I'd probably go for Hull as I can't see us scoring more goals than them. I woudn't mind seeing Dijksteel at RB and Howson into the middle with McNair and either Tav/Wing. Both Wing and Tav need to up their games though and be more dangerous.

They have a goalkeeper on their books called Will Mannion, which is just one letter away from the great man's name.  One letter in a game like this can be crucial.

I assume we'll have the same team out unless we've suffered some injuries over the break.  I haven't heard anything though.  My instincts would be to switch to a back four but that's more about me not being convinced that the current set up is the way to go for us.  We've got to hope that Assombalonga's confidence is up a bit because he looks like the only person capable of scoring goals for us with any regularity - it's time that a few other players stepped up and contributed goals.

We might have a problem defending our flanks given we'll have wingbacks and they won't and they are good on the break, which is another problem as I think our midfield is crap at defending counterattacks in general.  Their away record is actually pretty good, which is a bit of a worry as it may well suit them.  I don't fancy going a goal down against this lot as I think it will play into their hands.

We've got to come out of the blocks fast and on the front foot, vital that we get that early goal, because the more the game goes on without scoring, that's when we get frustrated and allow the opposition chances. We have got to create  the goal scoring opportunities for Britt, its no good him feeding off scraps, but other players are going to have to start weighing in with a few more. McNair needs to be getting in the box and Tav and Wing both can hit a ball outside and around the box and Woodgate needs to encourage them to do this. I think the only way I see Woodgate changing the side is if we have an injury beforehand.

No excuses or hard luck stories, anything less than 6 points from the next 2 home games is a failure, we have got to be winning them.  

15 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

McNair needs to be getting in the box and Tav and Wing both can hit a ball outside and around the box and Woodgate needs to encourage them to do this.

I think I saw a stat that we are one of the teams that has most shots from outside the area. The problem is we are just not any good at it, so I'm not sure it's something we should continue with. I'd rather have the ball into the box with Tav, Wing, McNair helping the striker(s) out inside the box. We're not any good at that either so who knows what we should do.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, Sarumite said:

- Will Woodgate stick with the same side from QPR?

- What is the key to Boro taking 3 points from the game?

- Will Britt Assombalonga now find some confidence in front of goal?

- Is Lewis Wing performing to his potential?

- Yes, I think he has to. The cupboard is bare.

- Scoring more goals than the opposition, which is why we probably won't win.

- I think he'll feel more confident, but the lack of service and link-up play remains a problem for him.

- Absolutely not. He's a shadow of the guy who terrorised Luton back in August.

I haven't been on here in the last fortnight cos it's been nice to pretend football doesn't exist! Now it's back, we really need to try and take six points from the next two games. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if we don't, Woodgate probably needs to be put out of our misery, because the January transfer window would give a new manager - whoever that may be - a chance to start cutting out the dead wood in our squad and looking for loan players to tide us over while they establish their own philosophy.

I honestly think a settled tactical philosophy is the foundation stone for any manager to succeed (Karanka's 4-2-3-1, Klopp's high press, etc.) I don't think Woody has a philosophy other than hoping things improve, and that's an approach which has seen bigger teams than us fall straight through the Championship. Unless the QPR match represented the first signs of a new tactical approach taking shape (which I rather doubt), we're going to end up adrift. And a rookie manager with no experience of fighting at the wrong end of the table is absolutely not the person to reverse that decline, especially when his much-heralded tactic of playing the high press was abandoned within a month and his second-in-command appears to be contributing almost nothing.

Based on previous games and the better performance it must be the same team, but which one will turn up. This will be the game that indicates where we are and if we have what it takes to pull out of a rather a bad predicament. Although I don’t think it will happen, but loose or we don’t put in a absolute stellar performance then Woodgate should bow out. 

4 hours ago, Borodane said:

I think I saw a stat that we are one of the teams that has most shots from outside the area. The problem is we are just not any good at it, so I'm not sure it's something we should continue with. I'd rather have the ball into the box with Tav, Wing, McNair helping the striker(s) out inside the box. We're not any good at that either so who knows what we should do.

I think it might have been me that put it on the Assombalonga thread a couple of weeks back.  Assombalonga has had 35 shots this season but Wing and McNair have had 32 each.  31 out of 32 shots from Wing have been outside the area and it's 17 out of 32 for McNair.  Other players like Johnson and Tavernier have a lower total of shots but a high proportion of shots outside the area.  It wasn't so much a criticism of doing that as just pointing out that our goalscoring problems weren't just down to Assombalonga, when he seemed to be taking most of the criticism for it.  It's also a useful thing to remember when looking at shot totals in games by way of saying how attacking a team you are or how many chances you've had.

7 hours ago, Borodane said:

Wing and Tav's shooting last season was excellent from outside the box, not saying they shouldn't be in the box supporting the strikers, but you don't shoot you don't score, you hit the ball well enough and on target the keeper has to do something about it. Its down to confidence Wing and Tav have the ability to cause problems from outside the box, its just one option of many.

• Like 1