oneBoro Forum

Boro V Hull City 2-2 (Tavernier, Fletcher)

This is what you get by appointing a rookie as our manager. He's going to make lots of mistakes. 

I wonder what Gibson sees as the endgame here, does he think Woodgate is going to be a top class manager? He obviously thinks very highly of him because we are risking relegation while he learns on the job. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUGGER That was a bit of a shame, wasn't it 😢 First half was some good stuff and we were a much more confident looking side than you'd think we would be.  The early goal obviously helped a g

Sorry - but it’s a bit unfair to be  hammering the manager for bringing off 1 of 2 attackers to try and defend a 2 goal league. Almost any manager would do that - and it makes sense tactically. You co

Welcome to the Official oneBoro Match Day Thread for the EFL Championship fixture between Middlesbrough and Hull City.  Boro currently find themselves in the bottom 3 of the Championship without

Posted Images

Unbelievable, deservedly leading at 2-0, red card and we should have lost it after that. Honestly don't know how to feel about it, I feel sick about what happened but in the context of the situation, can't make heads or tails of what we should have done at 2-0, 2-1 and 2-2. Things like... is it a show of confidence in Tav or lack of confidence in Coulson and Bola after the red card? Not saying Tav had a bad game after moving to left back but he wasn't what we needed, I wonder if maybe taking Wing off and leaving Tav in midfield would have been a better option.

It's also a bit mad when someone like Dijksteel had such a shocking game and the manager can't think of what to change him with when he looks at the bench. How many times he lost the ball is awful, that one towards the end, gifting them a run at goal from a position of being able to pass in multiple directions, what on Earth is he playing at? I'd rather have played Coulson right wing back tbh.

• Like 3
Just now, Duvel said:

This is what you get by appointment a rookie as our manager. He's going to make lots of mistakes. 

I wonder what Gibson sees as the endgame here, does he think Woodgate is going to be a top class manager? He obviously thinks very highly of him because we are risking relegation while he learns on the job. 

This is where I just don't know how to feel after today. I'd say the clearest difference between a win and the result we got is the individual decision one of his players made. Is that a sign of Woodgate's ability as a manager? I don't think he got everything right after that of course but are those factors any more indicative of how this game played out than his lack of options to shore up and hold onto a result after the red card?

• Like 1

Just so I get this right, are people really saying bringing Clayton on and keeping Tavernier at LB and HOwson at CB was the right change?

You have 2 LB's on the bench and one of them should of been used for definate especially when you are already having make shift defence with Howson at CB.

People will say Howson CB was working 1st half when we were leading but soon as we went down to 10 men we should of put McNair there even though it weakens us (before people pick up on my earlier post).

1st half was excellent and Britt was playing brilliant. His movement was excellent and the first time I've seen that this season and that's because Fletch was playing close to him.

2nd half invetiably we were going to have to soak up pressure, but you don't have to soak up that much pressure if you are organised.

Tav was moving into a CB position and where the hell did Dijksteel play throughout the whole game lol?

Yes, the sending off changed the game but I think woody got changes wrong and had 45mins to make another change which was needed for me. Bola/Coulson could of been changed for either Howson, Tav, Dijksteel, Wing or McNair and we would have been more solid with people playing in natural positions or where they have played before.

I just hope the end result doesn't kill the morale as that 1st half performance was excellent.

**** Johnson and make sure he gets disciplined because that was utterly ridiculous and completely needless. Mistakes happen but use your brain on challenges on the half way line when you are 2-0 up.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Erimus 63 said:

You're talking a load of crap. 

Care to enlighten me then?

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

We are obviously going to defend with 10 against 11 but we didn't need to be so deep. That doesn't mean to say we should be attacking with 11 men but we basically surrendered 3 quarters of the pitch for most of the second half. 

I'm not saying the execution was perfect, but I'm not entirely convinced the plan with the change was to sit that deep; that's just a consequence of us not being able to defend very well. We needed to be structurally sound and able to potentially counter - and lets be honest it worked perfectly until an moment of individual brilliance from Bowen.

8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I disagree because stats show we have coincided no worse than many other teams and the way Brit was playing a bit of support could have taking more pressure off. Hull defensively were not great and a bit of pressure could have given us time or even an opportunist goal. I blame Woodgate. 

Again, look I'm not saying the execution of the tactic was perfect, but I get the idea behind it. We may not concede many more than others but we do look shaky at the back with alarming regularity, so trying to strengthen that feels like a sensible move.

Now, if you want to blame Woodgate for anything, it's not taking Dijksteel off at any point, the man had one of the worst halves of football I've ever seen in that 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is where I just don't know how to feel after today. I'd say the clearest difference between a win and the result we got is the individual decision one of his players made. Is that a sign of Woodgate's ability as a manager? I don't think he got everything right after that of course but are those factors any more indicative of how this game played out than his lack of options to shore up and hold onto a result after the red card?

Yeah the red card changed the game but after that you need your manager to be astute enough to close things out. 

13 minutes ago, Erimus 63 said:

You're talking a load of crap. 

E63. 
pointless and meaningless statement. By all means have a different opinion, but try to put your reasons for it down. That’s the way we do it on here buddy 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can take off an attacker when down to ten men and replace him with a more defensive player but you cannot just desert three quarters of the pitch and set up camp on the twenty yard line. What we failed to do was cover our wide areas which allowed them to get behind us with crosses time and time again  Now that could be down to Woodgate or the players but it certainly is not the way to set up with ten men and we paid the inevitable price, schoolboy coaching stuff this !

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Yeah the red card changed the game but after that you need your manager to be astute enough to close things out. 

Glad someone else could see the clear and obvious.

We didn't have to have a make shift defene when we were 10 men down. Woody didn't see or realise the change he had to make.

We've definitely dropped a blob signing Dijksteel, losing the ball n injury time could have cost us the game had Hull chose the right pass. I'd be quite happy to never see Dijksteel in a Boro shirt again absolute garbage. Woodgate sat and watched our defense 2nd half under constant pressure and changed nothing. You keep hitting the wall often enough  and eventually it breaks.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Care to enlighten me then?

I'm not saying the execution was perfect, but I'm not entirely convinced the plan with the change was to sit that deep; that's just a consequence of us not being able to defend very well. We needed to be structurally sound and able to potentially counter - and lets be honest it worked perfectly until an moment of individual brilliance from Bowen.

Again, look I'm not saying the execution of the tactic was perfect, but I get the idea behind it. We may not concede many more than others but we do look shaky at the back with alarming regularity, so trying to strengthen that feels like a sensible move.

Now, if you want to blame Woodgate for anything, it's not taking Dijksteel off at any point, the man had one of the worst halves of football I've ever seen in that 2nd half.

Yes, Woodgate might as well have telegraphed his intent with that half time substitution. Every team in the division know how we'll play with Clayton in the team. It's no coincidence we're playing better without him. Woodgate hasn't got a clue.

• Like 1