oneBoro Forum

Boro V Hull City 2-2 (Tavernier, Fletcher)

What an unbelievably frustrating game. Genuinely thought we would be praising a great win and getting the season back on track. Moronic individual error followed by a naive response from an inexperienced manager. 

My one and only grain of hope is that if we play like that with 11 men for the rest of the season then we should stay up.

Although admittedly kinda sad that's the benchmark for Boro now.

• Like 4
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUGGER That was a bit of a shame, wasn't it 😢 First half was some good stuff and we were a much more confident looking side than you'd think we would be.  The early goal obviously helped a g

Sorry - but it’s a bit unfair to be  hammering the manager for bringing off 1 of 2 attackers to try and defend a 2 goal league. Almost any manager would do that - and it makes sense tactically. You co

Welcome to the Official oneBoro Match Day Thread for the EFL Championship fixture between Middlesbrough and Hull City.  Boro currently find themselves in the bottom 3 of the Championship without

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Perhaps a new tactic Boro have deployed in money saving is asking players to voluntarily get a red card meaning 2 weeks worth of wages saved each game. Every little helps.

With that and The Killers we might be able extend Gestede's contract 👍

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

To be fair without him our medical team would be out of a job! Gibson once again thinking about jobs for local people! 

And some people on here think that Gibson is now a heartless Tory 😉

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

What an unbelievably frustrating game. Genuinely thought we would be praising a great win and getting the season back on track. Moronic individual error followed by a naive response from an inexperienced manager. 

My one and only grain of hope is that if we play like that with 11 men for the rest of the season then we should stay up.

Although admittedly kinda sad that's the benchmark for Boro now.

Well I will be honest .

I watched the first half and thought to myself why do I wanna watch the second half  it ain't gonna get any better.

Woke some time later and ginned like a Cheshire cat for the rest of the day.

That team should comfortably stay in the Championship I have said that before its only downfall is its manager.

He will drag that team down to the lower leagues if Gibson keeps him.

Get a decent manager asap and maybe just maybe this season could see us challenging the play offs.

Continue with Woodgate & Co and we will be still at the bottom come the end of the season.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@Motor Mouth. Were u grinning like  a Cheshire cat at the end of 1st half or end of 2nd half? 

I fell a sleep at half time when I woke and saw the result I was grinning because I had a fair idea what Boro were going to do to themselves from hundreds of past experiences and I missed it to my relief.

• Like 1

I thought the first-half performance was very good. We looked as good as we've been under Woodgate. Johnson has undoubtedly let the team down as it gave Hull a huge chance to get back into it. In terms of Woodgate's decisions after then, I completely agree that the correct formation to switch to was the 4-4-1, however, the decision to play Tavernier at LB is absolutely bonkers by Woodgate. Expecting him to be able to cope at LB up against Jarrod Bowen, one of the Championship's best wingers, when we're down to 10 men and without a league win in 10 games is simply idiotic. Woodgate was in a high-pressure moment that required sound decision-making and he failed.

I understand we were short of LB options but I'd have much rather we brought on either of Coulson or Bola, or even played McNair at LB and kept Fletcher on LW - the latter being my preferred option. Bowen's second goal came from Tavernier's lack of awareness and physique to clear the danger, so as far as I'm concerned Woodgate's decision to not put a better option at LB resulted in the goal. We just aren't organised well enough to be able to sustain pressure without conceding, and that comes from a fundamental lack of coaching ability from Woodgate.

We're slowly drifting towards relegation so any remaining patience for Woodgate is running very thin. Does any of the ITK guys know how much it would cost for us to sack Woodgate and whichever of his backroom team that would also leave like Keane?. I'm assuming that Percovich and Coyne will be staying here if Woodgate leaves.

• Like 1

I think that the performance prior to the sending off justifies the keeping of Woodgate and his staff in position. We looked superb at that point and if we continue in that vein there is zero chance of being relegated.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if Bowen didn’t score that wonder strike I feel that we would have held on for the win.

As for Johnson he definitely cost us but I would prefer to see a Boro player going all out to win the tackle than wimping out if it comes to the crunch. He was playing well up to that point and I don’t think he should be hung out to dry over one error of judgment.

We will be ok in my opinion.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Otto42 said:

I understand the sacrificing  a forward, would have been Britt for me btw. Baffled by bringing Clayton on...it was our left wing back who was sent off! Midfield three were working well. He therefore shuffles around at least four players when all he needed to do was bring on Coulson for Britt/Fletch.

Exactly. So simple but we over complicate and end up all over the place. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I agree to an extent, I certainly sat there saying there were things we could have changed but it's not like he had an abundance of great options available to him and that's where it enters the 'any manager would have struggled' territory. I don't think a Karanka or a Pulis would have looked at that bench and changed much from that position either which leads me to think it's perhaps a bit harsh on this occasion to pin this entirely on him.

At the same time, I'm just hugely bloody frustrated today. I just don't know who to point the finger at. Johnson is the likeliest candidate but there's so much time left in the game that he can't take all the responsibility. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not talking about changing the game with options on the bench, I'm talking about managing the game by having a better shape defensively and not defending on our penalty spot for 45 minutes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I'm not talking about changing the game with options on the bench, I'm talking about managing the game by having a better shape defensively and not defending on our penalty spot for 45 minutes. 

Exactly.

You don't need to be a tactical genius, or to have special players at your disposal.

All you need is for the players to press the opposition, try and win the ball back, then just keep possession as much as you can.

Instead we were just following the Hull players around and panicking every time they got into our 18 yard box.