oneBoro Forum

Altrincham it is!

Taken over in nov 19, they're 19th in the national league north, predicted finish of 7th so massively underperforming. They want me to avoid relegation so pretty confident that I can manage that!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just downloaded a lower leagues database. Trying to take Billingham Synthonia (Tier 10) to the Champions League but have set myself the nightmare challenge of using only players who come throug

Not a massive update but I signed Michael essien to vanarama national league side Altrincham for 200 quid a week. That is all

4 years in and im only realising now I should have been studying for my qualifications! No wonder I've never got an interview outside of Altrincham!

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Altrincham it is!

Taken over in nov 19, they're 19th in the national league north, predicted finish of 7th so massively underperforming. They want me to avoid relegation so pretty confident that I can manage that!

Good luck! 

15 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Good luck! 

First match away to Fleetwood from league 1 at their place in the fa Cup... lost 1-0 but happy with the performance considering we had a man sent off on the 30 min mark.

Lots of holes in the squad and its tiny, hardly any back up and the first 11 ain't great.going to be tough with no budget!

I have just downloaded a lower leagues database. Trying to take Billingham Synthonia (Tier 10) to the Champions League but have set myself the nightmare challenge of using only players who come through the academy

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Annoyingly as I wasn't keeping track of the previous seasons (As I thought no-one was bothered!), I don't have access to the previous clubs  info like finances.

So season 2 with Merthyr Town (2021/22) I added to the squad fairly significantly, but I tried to avoid breaking the bank too much. I had 2 train of thoughts in mind, I brought 1 set of players in to instantly improve the first team squad. Then a 2nd set of younger Welsh players to improve the squad for the next season, or if we went down, to instantly provide a solid core of a team to challenge in the Vanarama North/South. Most of the 2nd set of players were loaned out.

I stuck with my tactics from the previous season, the Vertical Tiki-Taka but tweaked with a few custom instructions. After a rocky few months in which we never got higher than 17th position, the 2nd half of the season we really picked up. With 4 games to go we sat in 12th place, we were safe and would spend a 2nd season in the Vanarama National League.1590286235_MethyrTown.thumb.png.9bb0d5927e1500a68ff5fed98d33fddf.png

Before reaching the end of the season I applied for a few jobs in League 2 and League 1, I attended interviews for a couple and ultimately did not get offered any. So I was expecting to see out the season and stay 1 more with Merthyr. But Crewe actually approached me, mainly due to my "Philosophies" matching their club "Philosophies" notably playing entertaining football and signing players under the age of 23. I attended an interview and was offered the job, which I took.

So onto Crewe. I took charge of Crewe sat in 22nd place in League 1 with 4 games to go. They were 4 points adrift with 12 point avaliable. Unfortunately I could not prevent the inevitable and Crewe were relegated. Luckily I had assumed that we would be relegated, so I had already been planning on which players to keep for the League 2 campaign and hounding out new signings. All in all that was the end of an eventful 2021/2022 season.
1810714092_CreweLeague1.png.07e187f8bc4081051344684d62663d00.png

1689191256_CreweLeague1STAND.thumb.png.c7c8cff33268c91cf60ed25b74af203e.png

Great update @DanFromDownSouth! Unlucky with the relegation. Im heading towards the end of January and I'm sitting in 12th and in the 3rd round of the fa trophy so its going pretty well so far. Im actually only 4 points off play offs with 13 games to go. With a lot of teams between me and 7th ill need a large slice of good luck.

Looking forward to finishing the season, only 2 of my players have contracts that run past 2020! So I'll have a lot of wiggle room with wages hopefully, and I'll be looking at as many loans as I can get with no wages for next season for a proper promotion push 

• Like 1

So onto the 2022/2023 League Two campaign with Crewe. I decided to go back to my tactics that worked so well at Merthyr Town, but due to a higher quality of player at Crewe I decided to customise more tactical instructions. I brought in 11 players to suit the tactical style I wanted to implement at Crewe, and I also had the bank balance in mind. I let a large number of reserve/youth players go at the end of their contracts after relegation, plus any senior pros that did not fit the style or demanded too much money.
1781415924_CreweLeague2Trans.thumb.png.15d3f7b4086cc6b00b0bb6d7770e6177.png

Of those 11 incoming players Daniels, Stewart, Walker, Senior and Hanlan were reguars in my side and standout performers. I put a huge emphasis on promoting youth and had a lot of youngsters in and around the first team squad. Onto the final standings. 1st place with a whopping 94 points, we pretty much sat in first place all season.

277894986_CreweLeague2Stand.thumb.png.17d3466f18afb99249641c14194c4815.png

Onto the current season now the 2023/2024 season. Crewe were promoted back to League at the first attempt. Only negative of the previous season was that I did not win Manager of the year! Being pretty stubborn and having continuous success with my customised Vertical Tiki-Taka, I decided going into the new season to continue with it, and bring players that will only improve players that are already in the existing squad. But I was hampered slightly by the wage budget which was set at £2.5 Million and the actual wage bill going into the season was £1.8 Million. Anyway onto the transfers (Keep an eye out for Nathan Daniels).
1363287730_CreweLeague1Trans.thumb.png.6d56d6c7a1560245f6141bbd9287b18e.png

Getting players in to fit the system and improve the squad was very difficult due to financial constraints, despite the sale of Daniels for £2.5 Million, I brought him in for £4k the season before. Despite all this we managed to go on an incredible run to start the season and we found ourselves in 1st place.

420464400_CreweLeague1PP.png.8823335407b4b1cf1d51299a00ec6969.png

Due to the great form, I was approached in mid-November, by Swansea who at the time were 14th in the Championship after 17 games. But I'll update the Swansea part tomorrow as I have quite finished the season yet. For now I'll leave you with a snippet of my job history.

316418834_JobHist.thumb.png.0bc890e01af56f7c8a3ba806b9dd473c.png

Less interesting than a lower league save in many ways but I'm still going with my FM19 Boro save on and off. Just finished season 24/25, 2nd in the League and runners up for the FA Cup (after winning both the previous year) but managed to beat Schalke in the Europa League final. Mostly regens in the team right now but a few known quantities, here's a few snaps from my game.

Season Review

20200819233225_1.thumb.jpg.c8495d569fb66dff01db2f8174a1374b.jpg

Season Awards

20200819233215_1.thumb.jpg.24fa26b0e357c77413d5a3a322fd5e4b.jpg

Then the overall best eleven and 'Where are they now?', note when it says George Friend is still here, he's now an U18 coach.

20200819233207_1.thumb.jpg.840fc497586582df3bd9861abe4faeff.jpg

20200819233211_1.thumb.jpg.5aaa9c1ba609ce9c423d58a8060ea515.jpg

• Like 1

Was pretty quiet in work so I managed to complete my first season with Altrincham... and it couldn't have went better! 

I took over with the club in turmoil - they were predicted to finish 7th but were languishing in 19th at the start of November. No real budget to speak off and a tiny squad too. No loans in the squad which gave me some room to manovour in that market and I was able to bring in a young italian right back and forward. I managed to finish 5th in the league, eventually going on to win the play offs. I also nabbed the FA trophy which was very nice and gave the finances a welcome boost. 

I've been playing a 4-2-3-1 that I developed with boro in a previous game. Was unsure how it would work in lower leagues but it turns out to be a treat and didn't require any tweeking which was nice -

image.thumb.png.4c41743fa62d5e2acad1fd5722f05588.png

My most important signing with this fella, for multiple reasons. Firstly, 15 goal contributions in 26 games from attacking midfield and not on any set pieces was a quality return - 

image.thumb.png.5eccfa680a76d34c681d8d99c66f276c.png

Secondly, he freed up my best player who I had been playing in attacking midfield to play is more favoured centre midfield role and this was the result - 

image.thumb.png.26dbb8e7b7432ad7639a3451308ec575.png

17 goals and 22 assists from centre midfield... I'm not sure I've ever had such a productive midfielder! A major reason why we were promoted along with my striker who managed to bag a hat trick in both the fa trophy final and the play off final. 

I've got a massive summer coming up, not least because the following were the only players I seen fit to retain from the previous season for the national league. As you can see, my squad is as threadbare as boro's right now! I also extended a couple of contracts before knowing I'd be promoted so there could be more outgoings. Plenty of room on my wage bill though so I'll be seeking out the best free agents that I can find. 

image.thumb.png.da2f467e63098dd48ac5dc42de8ea782.png

I recently finally got back into FM due to quiet times at work and it I've relapsed with my addiction. Played probably 30+ hours this week already. 

I like to do a nice journeyman save, so far I've managed in Indonesia, Ireland & now I'm at Beerschot VA, just won the Belgian 2nd division. 

God I have a problem, help me!

spacer.png

I change tactics based on players at my disposal, so at the minute we're rolling with a 4-2-4. Works a treat mostly although it can struggle against any team with lots of midfielders.

spacer.png

This is how the league went, I lost the unbeaten streak 3 games from the end 😞 Lost 1-0 to the team in 4th. 

spacer.png

I like to scout the African regions (that I'm able to in this league) because there are always young gems over there. I currently have 4 players in my squad I've nabbed from Nigeria, but this guy is by far the best. 650k well spent IMO, this guy is a 10m+ player already I think.

• Like 1

I sold Ndongala 😞 he got a bid from everton and was getting all grumpy if I didn't let him go, so I accepted bids from Everton, Norwich and Villa and he went to Norwich the next day...10m with 40% sell on.

• Like 1