oneBoro Forum

So time for the next update. The end of the 2023/2024 season.

I took Swansea over in Mid-November, sat in 14th place. They had a large squad with a large wage bill, when I came in the wage bill stood at £32 Million. This was their 3rd season Championship after being relegated from the Prem (Promoted in 19/20), which also meant that this was their first season with no parachute payments. I sent my scouts out to search for some players that would be key to implementing my Tactic (Wing-Backs and Inside Forwards to begin with).

I made the aggresive decision that come January I would try and move on really high earners (Anyone over £1.6 Million Per Year) and any players that did not fit the tactic. I took the risk of bringing in some loan players (4 loans) to plug the gaps and also took the decision to bring in a few "shorter term" players to supplement and in a few cases improve the first 11. These players if all went to plan, in the next season would become 2nd choice/back up players. I raided my former club Crewe for 2 players Jaaskelainen as he (In my save) is a pretty decent Sweeper Keeper and Robinson is a really good centre back propect.

But as you can see I managed to get a lot of players out of the club all for decent fees. Rupp, Byers, Masina, Dhanda, Osborn and Norgaard all only had 6 months left on their contracts so to get nearly £9 Million for them was excellent. I also let Dan Burn and a certain Martin Braithwaite go on frees. Herc was on £3.6 Million a year which was over 10% of the total wage bill. 
I've managed to reduce the wage budget to just under £20 Million from £32 Million. I am also trialling giving no loyalty bonuses, agent fees and any other bonus (Except wage rises on promotion) which so far has not hampered contract talks. I do have to offer slightly higher wages, but what it costs in that so far outweights the cost of the bonuses.
(The Highighted players are the transfers I oversaw).
2015652575_SwanseaTransfer.thumb.png.d558d5dfcc1ee31bcd2374026c346f46.png

Due to having a large influx of players in the January that dented our form. We managed to get as high as 5th place, but ultimately we could not sustain our November/December form and ended up finishing in 10th place. 

The good news is I have been able to scout players to come in an massively improve the positions that have been plugged this season. I have been really proactive in the market and have made 6/7 transfers before the end of May. However I am struggling to find a decent Left Wing-back, Deep Lying Playmaker and a False Nine that fit into my budget and my own wage structure.

This coming season is make or break, as my contract expires at the end of it and the board expect promotion as a minimum.
No pressure.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just downloaded a lower leagues database. Trying to take Billingham Synthonia (Tier 10) to the Champions League but have set myself the nightmare challenge of using only players who come throug

Not a massive update but I signed Michael essien to vanarama national league side Altrincham for 200 quid a week. That is all

4 years in and im only realising now I should have been studying for my qualifications! No wonder I've never got an interview outside of Altrincham!

Posted Images

Just finished season 2 with Altrincham and after the absolute highs of the end of season 1, this one was a huge disappointing end. I finished second in the Vanarama national league which unfortunately meant play offs again. I was knocked out in the semi final by 7th placed Yeovil which was hard to take. This was followed up by a defeat in the FA Trophy final by Aldershot.

Highlights of the season were definitely the performances of WAY too good for the league Essian and Sean Scannell. I've got a tough decision to make now, I've been turning down contract offers all year as I feel that I can't take this side much further, although with those losses to finish the season I don't know if my reputation is high enough to make it into a league side just yet. I may try to build this side through the summer but look out for better opportunities as I do it

2 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@Neverbefore I find in some saves, when I start unemployed, that it's really difficult to sometimes to get job offers from clubs higher than NL when you are managing in the NL.

Yep I found this!

So back to the drawing board for another rush at promotion. I shed 70% of the squad for the second season in a row - found recruitement far more difficult this time around but I think I've crafted a side good enough for at least play offs again. The one team getting auto promoted is a killer at this level

• Like 1

Do you guys ever manage outside of England? I always like to do my unemployed journeyman saves and start somewhere foreign!

Last year I was in Malta to start & this year I started in Indonesia!

4 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Do you guys ever manage outside of England? I always like to do my unemployed journeyman saves and start somewhere foreign!

I loaded the lowest leagues in spain, Germany and Italy in this game but it seems only English clubs want me 😞 maybe later on in my career ill head over there.

I always find the foreign player rules really prohibitive in some of the other European leagues though so I do tend to stay in the English leagues as I love an 18 year old Brazilian me. Their footballers are talented too

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I loaded the lowest leagues in spain, Germany and Italy in this game but it seems only English clubs want me 😞 maybe later on in my career ill head over there.

I always find the foreign player rules really prohibitive in some of the other European leagues though so I do tend to stay in the English leagues as I love an 18 year old Brazilian me. Their footballers are talented too

Germany is a good one to go to then cause IIRC they don't have any foreign player rules. Italy is the one with all the stupid rules 😞

I make my PC work hard, I have every league from every country loaded at the minute haha. When you have some of the obscure countries you can always get jobs in the asian scene or Scandinavian lower leagues too.

Problem with Scandinavia is they play on reverse schedules to everyone else, so it never lines up when you want to move on.

5 hours ago, Brunners said:

I've found in this years FM it is much harder to get moves to clubs outside England, if you start your career in England.

I remember in previous FM's having unemployed saves that took me all over Europe. I used to really enjoy starting in England, then moving abroad, only to then come back when a top half Premier league club approached me.

50 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I've found in this years FM it is much harder to get moves to clubs outside England, if you start your career in England.

I remember in previous FM's having unemployed saves that took me all over Europe. I used to really enjoy starting in England, then moving abroad, only to then come back when a top half Premier league club approached me.

Ah I see, I haven't tried that, I always just start unemployed and see what ridiculously small clubs will hire a 30 year old English man with no qualifications 😄

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Ah I see, I haven't tried that, I always just start unemployed and see what ridiculously small clubs will hire a 30 year old English man with no qualifications 😄

Yeah if you start in England your "Adaptability" barely increases  which in turn hampers your chances of getting jobs abroad.

I can't remember what FM it was on, but I had a save where I started in Tier 10 of England move up a few leagues, then pretty much went on a European tour! 

It went something like this; England - Norway (Failed) - Iceland (Got a team promoted then in the CL group stage) - Spain Division 2 - Sweden - Netherlands.

3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Yeah if you start in England your "Adaptability" barely increases  which in turn hampers your chances of getting jobs abroad.

I can't remember what FM it was on, but I had a save where I started in Tier 10 of England move up a few leagues, then pretty much went on a European tour! 

It went something like this; England - Norway (Failed) - Iceland (Got a team promoted then in the CL group stage) - Spain Division 2 - Sweden - Netherlands.

well, thanks for the warning, I'll ensure not to start in England then haha.

• Haha 1

image.thumb.png.77eeafa7b1ae0212f5a668ec4f3425a2.png

So after 4 years with Altrincham, culminating in the above ridiculous season in League 2, I finally started to get a few other offers in the door.

The most interesting job that came up was Crotone, who had been languishing in Serie B since their relegation in 2018. I came in with the expectation of getting promoted at first time of asking, which should be a challenge considering the 5 years or so they've been struggling in the division. 

Relative to what I've been working with in the past I was given a healthy enough transfer and wage budget to get the job done. Serie B is not a league I've managed in before and the 5k a week limit on wages that they have in place is sure to make it an interesting challenge!