• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should have been out of sight in that game had it not been for Barnsleys keeper pulling off heroics, what are you talking about "undeserved" and Barnsley should feel "robbed". We were far bett

Bonkers. People see what they want to see.    1st half both teams were rubbish with us having one or two clear cut chances that we should have put away. 2nd half we were good and should have

If we continue to show the levels we have the past few games we should edge away from the relegation zone over the season. It does feel like luck hasn't been with us in a lot of these matches.

Posted Images

We really needed that win!

Strange game.  In terms of the flow or pattern of the game I thought we were second best for most of it but we created the best chances, their keeper kept them in it and we should have won by a few rather than only by a single goal.  The conditions were crap but we still made too many simple mistakes, however some of our counter attacking was good.  A game of contradictions maybe.

Despite the situation, I had to smile when Bola came on.  We went from neither of our left backs getting a look in on Sunday to both of them being on the pitch at the same time tonight.  That's Boro for you.  More injuries is a bloody nuisance though 🙁

I'm not entirely sure why Woodgate is so wedded to 3-5-2.  I don't think we've been particularly good as a result of it and tonight we ended up with a left back as a right wing back as well as the midfielder in one of the central defensive positions (he did ok in fairness).  Just seems weird to me in a game where we had no control in midfield that he'd be so desperate to stick with it even though it meant more players out of position.  I don't think we won tonight because we played 3-5-2 although it's obviously impossible to prove that of course.

Also, it was raining.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, thomas said:

Glad we won, but did anyone else get flashbacks to boro vs Sunderland in the premier league with that game that both looked like they were going down but we were better defensively so won the game?  

That game actually might have had less quality than this one 🙂

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

So McNair has a glute problem, it's a knee for Dijksteel and Randolph out for 3 more weeks.

So was Randolph brought back too soon or is it a different injury?  Players coming back from injury and getting injured immediately isn't a good look.

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

So was Randolph brought back too soon or is it a different injury?  Players coming back from injury and getting injured immediately isn't a good look.

It's also in stark contrast to how Woodgate described handling injuries when being asked about Fry earlier in the season.

Though given the state of our bench at the moment, I'm not particularly surprised he's taken to accepting players knocking on his door and asking to play. Another young lad on the bench tonight. Injuries and red cards proper screwing over an already bare squad.

Still interested in hearing what people thought about the Wing and Coulson challenges in the 2nd half. The Wing one was the one where he got booked and it looked about as bad as the Johnson one at the weekend, I thought he was gonna have to walk. The Coulson one was a foul on the touchline and it looked like he stood on someone's foot when trying to get the ball, he didn't even get a ticking off so maybe I got that one completely wrong.

Oh and Cauley Woodrow got a 10 from me in the first half. Injured his own shoulder diving off the pitch before crawling back on to make it look like it happened in the box. Theatrically dived when Fry(?) pulled his leg away from a challenge in the box. Not even a booking, seen far too many dives at the Riverside this season without punishment. No wonder refs continue to be conned when they don't even stick to the courage of their convictions when a player throws himself to the ground but is adjudged not to have been fouled.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's also in stark contrast to how Woodgate described handling injuries when being asked about Fry earlier in the season.

Though given the state of our bench at the moment, I'm not particularly surprised he's taken to accepting players knocking on his door and asking to play. Another young lad on the bench tonight. Injuries and red cards proper screwing over an already bare squad.

Still interested in hearing what people thought about the Wing and Coulson challenges in the 2nd half. The Wing one was the one where he got booked and it looked about as bad as the Johnson one at the weekend, I thought he was gonna have to walk. The Coulson one was a foul on the touchline and it looked like he stood on someone's foot when trying to get the ball, he didn't even get a ticking off so maybe I got that one completely wrong.

I didn't think either of them were red cards.  Wing certainly dived in but it didn't look like his feet were high or anything and in that weather almost any challenge will look worse.  The Coulson one, if it's them one I'm thinking of, he also ended up holding his foot as if he was injured while their lad laid on the floor as if he'd been hit by a car.  I think he probably trod on his foot but to me that's not a red.

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

The possession stats maybe but we're not really a high possession team at all anyway.

That's not by design though is it?  It's because our passing is generally not good enough.  There was a lot of just lumping the ball whichever way the player was facing tonight, out for a throw in or just down the field.   In the conditions you can kinda understand some of it but Barnsley aren't a great side and could still knock the ball around.  Player for player we should be a much better side than them but you couldn't tell that from watching the game tonight albeit we deserved the win.

33 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Wing one was a foul, but it wasn't high, it wasn't studs up and wasn't dangerous. 

Coulson one didn't look, from the replays, like anything much.  Coulson possibly got kicked by their player, possibly trod on his toes, but nowt more than that.  He did drop like he'd been shot mind. 

Woodgate was nipping when the ref was marching towards Wing, I couldn’t really see the tackle properly from my seat but at the time I was half expecting the ref to whip out a red.

9 hours ago, sanddancer said:

For a win the stats are probably the most lob sided I’ve read. A win is a win but the nature of the win does NOT bode well at all. Possibly we drag teams down to our level and they forget how to play. If we can win with 36% possession it’s worth ten quid on a mid table finish. 

Stats don't factor in the conditions,Tonight you didn't know if the ball was going to skid off the pitch or stick in a puddle,these conditions turn any match into a lottery....just saying

8 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Well it’s about 53 year ago when I first squeezed the boys end turn style. A bit bigger now and I’d need a team of horses to pull me through now. 

Your not alone there SD

6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We really needed that win!

Strange game.  In terms of the flow or pattern of the game I thought we were second best for most of it but we created the best chances, their keeper kept them in it and we should have won by a few rather than only by a single goal.  The conditions were crap but we still made too many simple mistakes, however some of our counter attacking was good.  A game of contradictions maybe.

Despite the situation, I had to smile when Bola came on.  We went from neither of our left backs getting a look in on Sunday to both of them being on the pitch at the same time tonight.  That's Boro for you.  More injuries is a bloody nuisance though 🙁

I'm not entirely sure why Woodgate is so wedded to 3-5-2.  I don't think we've been particularly good as a result of it and tonight we ended up with a left back as a right wing back as well as the midfielder in one of the central defensive positions (he did ok in fairness).  Just seems weird to me in a game where we had no control in midfield that he'd be so desperate to stick with it even though it meant more players out of position.  I don't think we won tonight because we played 3-5-2 although it's obviously impossible to prove that of course.

Also, it was raining.

Wondered where all the puddles were coming from,