oneBoro Forum

Boro v Barnsley 1-0 (Fletcher)

8 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Finally!

Deserved win, but a poor quality game that has left even more players on the injury tables.

McNair, Assombalonga and Dijksteel all picking up knocks.

1 point above the relegation zone now.

Time to roll out the Burrell

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should have been out of sight in that game had it not been for Barnsleys keeper pulling off heroics, what are you talking about "undeserved" and Barnsley should feel "robbed". We were far bett

Bonkers. People see what they want to see.    1st half both teams were rubbish with us having one or two clear cut chances that we should have put away. 2nd half we were good and should have

If we continue to show the levels we have the past few games we should edge away from the relegation zone over the season. It does feel like luck hasn't been with us in a lot of these matches.

Posted Images

Yes the conditions last night have not done us any favours and we will now be reliant on Clayton an awful lot more.

Actually he was not bad when he came on did his job but as other say Howson to me was probably our best player for his overall game

3 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Woodgate was nipping when the ref was marching towards Wing, I couldn’t really see the tackle properly from my seat but at the time I was half expecting the ref to whip out a red.

I could see everything from my seat,It wasn't a Red It wasn't even a booking,I blame the Groundsman for overwatering the pitch, he needed the red card

Conditions were horrendous and therefore have to come into it although Barnsley did seem to be able to keep the ball down and play it better than us at times. Both Tav and Howson were our best players imo. I didn't think Pears had a bad game under the circumstances even with the limited amount of saves he had to make. 

We have played much better in the QPR and Hull games with the link up play improving (or actually starting) so I'm just looking at the scrappy 3 points last night rather than over analyzing it. I do think we will be in the game Saturday against Leeds as long as the injury list isn't as bad as we currently think. 

2 main comments, I must have genuinely counted 14+ throw in's we lost the ball directly from, It was ridiculous! Just keep it simple.

Also you could see at the end what it meant to the Barnsely players, all on the floor dejected. That is the best they have played this season and put everything into it, so us coming away with the 3 points (and some decent attempts on goal) we can be pleased about.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Oh and Cauley Woodrow got a 10 from me in the first half. Injured his own shoulder diving off the pitch before crawling back on to make it look like it happened in the box. Theatrically dived when Fry(?) pulled his leg away from a challenge in the box. Not even a booking, seen far too many dives at the Riverside this season without punishment. No wonder refs continue to be conned when they don't even stick to the courage of their convictions when a player throws himself to the ground but is adjudged not to have been fouled.

That Woodrow dive was absolutely pathetic, couldn't believe what I was seeing 😂

4 minutes ago, BillinghamBoro said:

That Woodrow dive was absolutely pathetic, couldn't believe what I was seeing 😂

Even Hugill would have looked at that one and thought that's not on. Pathetic.

• Like 2

I thought Tavernier was excellent last night with his drive and enthusiasm throughout the entire 90minutes. He seems to do it in patches in matches but last night he maintained it throughout and him, fletch and Britt link up really well.

Burrell - I have seen this lad play on a few occasions now and hes more than ready for the 1st team imo. If Tyrone O'Neill can make the bench then i dont have a clue why Burrell isnt.

We all know how big of a win that was last night but the bench worries me

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not entirely sure why Woodgate is so wedded to 3-5-2.  I don't think we've been particularly good as a result of it and tonight we ended up with a left back as a right wing back as well as the midfielder in one of the central defensive positions (he did ok in fairness).  Just seems weird to me in a game where we had no control in midfield that he'd be so desperate to stick with it even though it meant more players out of position.  I don't think we won tonight because we played 3-5-2 although it's obviously impossible to prove that of course.

I think it could be down to just playing a formation that suits what you have. We have two capable strikers, zero wingers, quite a few CMs and a couple of wing backs that can't really defend that well, so we need to play three at the back for protection and if it wasn't for Shottons injury we actually have three decent championship CDs in Ayala, Fry and Shotton. Looking at our squad we simply can't play a formation that requires out-n-out wingers because we don't have any. That rules out the traditional 4-4-2 and 4-3-3. Britt and Fletcher also both look better when they have someone to play off. It's certainly not pretty but it' probably the best we can do.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Thought Tav was motm, hopefully this is him really growing into that midfield 3 position. 

Is anyone else terrified for Leeds? I could see that being any score Leeds fancy.

Nah, they don't hammer teams and we very rarely get hammered.

We might lose, but I don't think it'll be a high scoreline.

9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

So was Randolph brought back too soon or is it a different injury?  Players coming back from injury and getting injured immediately isn't a good look.

Woodgate did say that it was something he has been dealing with since the international break, and that they all knew he would need some time off at some point.

I think best we can hope for is a hard-fought draw. A win would be wonderful but so long as we go there to at least try and counter them and not just sit back for 90 minutes and put ourselves about, I'll be happy enough. We're not going to lose our league status at Elland Road, the game a week later back at the Riverside is much more important.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

The throw ins have always been a problem with us. Watch the lack of movement from anyone, we never have anywhere to put it other than pumping it long and hoping.

Contrasting to the early season where not just throw-ins but all set-pieces were short and quick and used to try catching people out. We slowly gave up on that tactic though it seemed to be more as a result of players losing confidence in it rather than intentionally tactical.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Contrasting to the early season where not just throw-ins but all set-pieces were short and quick and used to try catching people out. We slowly gave up on that tactic though it seemed to be more as a result of players losing confidence in it rather than intentionally tactical.

Yes that is another point to the throw ins. We wait so long for someone to slowly go over and take it that the opposition have already re-grouped and man marking. Nobody comes close enough for it just to be an easy throw then pass back. When watching other teams we leave a man free for them to easily do it. I just don't understand the need to consistently try and throw longer (not Shotton long) balls and lose it straight away. Frustrating as it's so basic.