• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should have been out of sight in that game had it not been for Barnsleys keeper pulling off heroics, what are you talking about "undeserved" and Barnsley should feel "robbed". We were far bett

Bonkers. People see what they want to see.    1st half both teams were rubbish with us having one or two clear cut chances that we should have put away. 2nd half we were good and should have

If we continue to show the levels we have the past few games we should edge away from the relegation zone over the season. It does feel like luck hasn't been with us in a lot of these matches.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

I here you, lad... 

But, there is a thing called variance, and you need a much bigger sample than 18 games, before luck evens itself out. 

If you know anything about poker... a coinflip (50/50) situation .. you can lose like 16 out of 20 .. and then you have been unlucky... But if you won 16 out of 20, then you would have been lucky .. But, if whe have a much bigger sample like 10 million hands, the luck would be about even. 

The situations we have had with bad luck and bad refs is way higher than the times we had the luck go our way ... But maybe when all 46 games have been played, we might have had something more going our way, so the variance evens itself out.

Cheers

It's not poker or a coinflip though and the sample size isn't 18 games.  If you're talking about refereeing decisions only then the sample size is every decision made or unmade during each game by the referee i.e. every incidence when he could make a decision that alters the outcome of the match.  Unless you've totalled all of these up then you have no idea if what is written in bold is true.  What you actually mean is that the decisions that have stood out the most have gone against us such as a goal being incorrectly disallowed against Brentford for offside.  The problem is that this decision alone did not decide the outcome of the game and claiming that it did is incorrect but people being people we say that if that goal hadn't been disallowed then such and such would have happened.  We don't know that for certain however.  We've played in 18 games this season and that will have seen hundreds if not thousands of incidents where the referee either did or could have made a decision.  Unless the refereeing in general has been biased against us for some reason then the likelihood is that the luck/bad luck with be 50/50 or reasonably close to it.

23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It's not poker or a coinflip though and the sample size isn't 18 games.  If you're talking about refereeing decisions only then the sample size is every decision made or unmade during each game by the referee i.e. every incidence when he could make a decision that alters the outcome of the match.  Unless you've totalled all of these up then you have no idea if what is written in bold is true.  What you actually mean is that the decisions that have stood out the most have gone against us such as a goal being incorrectly disallowed against Brentford for offside.  The problem is that this decision alone did not decide the outcome of the game and claiming that it did is incorrect but people being people we say that if that goal hadn't been disallowed then such and such would have happened.  We don't know that for certain however.  We've played in 18 games this season and that will have seen hundreds if not thousands of incidents where the referee either did or could have made a decision.  Unless the refereeing in general has been biased against us for some reason then the likelihood is that the luck/bad luck with be 50/50 or reasonably close to it.

Come on .. you don't actually believe, that luck has been even for us these 18 games? You just wanna argue, you silly boiiii 😛

Just now, SmogDane said:

Come on .. you don't actually believe, that luck has been even for us these 18 games? You just wanna argue, you silly boiiii 😛

Over every decision?  Yeah probably as I've already said although I haven't tried to work it out.

If you take it beyond just refereeing then we were 'lucky' last night with our goal.  We were 'lucky' against QPR with our equaliser as well.  Have we had more goals incorrectly disallowed than we've missed sitters?  No.  So what are we saying, that a refereeing decision in one game has more influence than what our players have done with more regularity in various games?  If our players had performed better then we'd be higher up the league.  I don't think we can make the same argument about refereeing decisions other than to say that if a large percentage of decisions had gone in our favour then we might be higher up the league but that wouldn't have anything to do with luck, that would just be bias.

It's been a very long time since I've came away from a game so happy. It was probably more out of relief more than anything as if we didn't win yesterday then we would have been plunged into a crisis. The performance was very scrappy and we didn't show much quality on the ball, so I'm not going to get too excited yet as we still have a lot of hard work to do to get some decent results over a consistent spell. The main positive for the night was Tavernier's performance. It was probably the best performance by him in a Boro shirt. He seems to have really matured recently, and I was particularly impressed with his mentality of wanting to get on the ball at every opportunity as he wanted to create. He was also pressing up the pitch and tracking back to cover for over teammates mistakes. It seems a coming of age performance by him.

Wing's performances in holding midfield are concerning me. He undoubtedly has quality on the ball to do eye catching things like ping a long ball out wide or slip a ball through a gap to an unmarked team-mate, but he just can't do the solid job that a holding midfielder needs to. Yesterday there were a few times where his lack of defensive awareness and him attempted to play football in positions that he shouldn't have could very easily have cost us two goals. If he makes them sort of mistakes against a higher quality team, such as Leeds on Saturday, then he's going to cost us loads of goals over the course of a season. In the second half we seemed to panic and were hacking everything clear, instead of actually getting the ball down and trying to take control of the game. Wing, for all of his other qualities, just doesn't do the holding midfielder role well enough. I've never been convinced in that role and I'm yet to see anything to show that he is going to play there regularly throughout his career. I think we needed Clayton to do the calming role in midfield earlier in the second half when we were struggling to keep the ball. When he was playing in advanced midfield last season he was phenomenal. He can cause so much more damage there, so I feel like we're wasting his qualities at the moment.

I can recall at least 2 pennas we didn't get .. 1 was V Millwall 
2 goals against Brentford disallowed, but they were perfect .. (that might have given us the 3 points instead of ZERO) 

Yesterday .. that clown actor from barnsley .. He should at least have been booked for his acting and hillarious throwing himself back into the box 😛 

Yes we have missed sitters .. But we have also met some teams, where their keeper had his best game of the season .. Maybe yesterday comes in that category .. 

With VAR we would have had more points this season .. As I don't recall any situations, where we have been gifted anything .. But the opposite has been there

Reading through some of these posts, the expression ‘grasping at straws’ comes to mind. Results stand on their own, irrespective of whether there were goalkeeper heroics, missed chances or biased refs in the picture.

The fact remains that we won a home game 1-0 against the team that’s bottom of the table, and that with one of the most expensive teams in the league. We can huff and puff all we like but that is the fact.

It is simply not good enough and there are no excuses.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, Oslo_Syd said:

Reading through some of these posts, the expression ‘grasping at straws’ comes to mind. Results stand on their own, irrespective of whether there were goalkeeper heroics, missed chances or biased refs in the picture.

The fact remains that we won a home game 1-0 against the team that’s bottom of the table, and that with one of the most expensive teams in the league. We can huff and puff all we like but that is the fact.

It is simply not good enough and there are no excuses.

That's just like .. Your opinion, man...

• Haha 1