• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We should have been out of sight in that game had it not been for Barnsleys keeper pulling off heroics, what are you talking about "undeserved" and Barnsley should feel "robbed". We were far bett

Bonkers. People see what they want to see.    1st half both teams were rubbish with us having one or two clear cut chances that we should have put away. 2nd half we were good and should have

If we continue to show the levels we have the past few games we should edge away from the relegation zone over the season. It does feel like luck hasn't been with us in a lot of these matches.

Posted Images

I think it's important to recognise that decisions earlier on in the season that went against us or stuff like being a shoddy penalty away from 3 points against Luton (even though we earned a penalty incorrectly and they were denied a stonewaller) really affects the momentum of both the games themselves and form across multiple games as a whole. I think we saw some pretty dreadful calls that made the atmosphere get a bit firey and focused attention on the officials earlier on.

Obviously it's difficult to say if we'd got every penalty, we'd score them. As an extension, not every goal that should have been is guaranteed to have changed results. The Brentford one for what it's worth was early enough in the game that the result could very well have still been the same. But it does affect the momentum of games.

Having said that, I think more recently that we've been getting about what we deserve and I've definitely spent less time moaning about refs in the last couple of games than has been usual this season. Things like the Johnson red card changing the Hull game, well you can't blame the ref for that. You can't blame the team as a whole for the thing that changed the game against us but just like having a goal ruled out or missing a penalty, the games don't end there by and large. I think so far we are probably where we deserve to be.

17 hours ago, Brunners said:

I would give him credit that he effectively changed his tactic at half time last night for a massively improved second half. Fair play for that.

The changes he made had us come out to the second half even worse. We were almost pinned back into our own half until we scored and it was out of sheer luck that we didn't fall behind when they hit the bar. Whatever Woodgate did at half time he left all the initiative to Barnsley and we looked second best. First half was even so he arguably made us worse. I don't think he is at all improving as a manager, but then again we have a woefully unbalanced squad and a lot of injuries. This is definately not the time to have a rookie manager but it is what it is and we cross our fingers that he doesn't take us down.

You know what, CT and the gang ...

I am not talking about luck in every god damn little detail. 

Do you honestly think, that if VAR was used in this league, that we would still only have scored 16 goals and have only 17 points? 

I cannot remember us being "gifted" any goals this season, like Ayalas handball goal v WBA last season... But I can for sure think of at least 4situations this season, where perfectly good goals have been ruled out, or a clear penna wasn't given. (that is not a given goal, if Britt takes it though..:P)

We have scored some freaks of own goals as well... (that's not down to luck alone, though) 

We have had a high number of injuries.. i would say higher than the average number of injuries this early. Fry, Shotton, Coulson, Friend, Gestede (lol), Brown, Randolph, Dijksteel, Paddy and maybe Britt

So in no way have the "luck" been even for us .. 

I am not saying we could be top of the table for God's sake.. just that we could have scored more goals, have had more points (a few) and fielded our best players more often... 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, p_mards said:

It's been a very long time since I've came away from a game so happy. It was probably more out of relief more than anything as if we didn't win yesterday then we would have been plunged into a crisis. The performance was very scrappy and we didn't show much quality on the ball, so I'm not going to get too excited yet as we still have a lot of hard work to do to get some decent results over a consistent spell. The main positive for the night was Tavernier's performance. It was probably the best performance by him in a Boro shirt. He seems to have really matured recently, and I was particularly impressed with his mentality of wanting to get on the ball at every opportunity as he wanted to create. He was also pressing up the pitch and tracking back to cover for over teammates mistakes. It seems a coming of age performance by him.

Wing's performances in holding midfield are concerning me. He undoubtedly has quality on the ball to do eye catching things like ping a long ball out wide or slip a ball through a gap to an unmarked team-mate, but he just can't do the solid job that a holding midfielder needs to. Yesterday there were a few times where his lack of defensive awareness and him attempted to play football in positions that he shouldn't have could very easily have cost us two goals. If he makes them sort of mistakes against a higher quality team, such as Leeds on Saturday, then he's going to cost us loads of goals over the course of a season. In the second half we seemed to panic and were hacking everything clear, instead of actually getting the ball down and trying to take control of the game. Wing, for all of his other qualities, just doesn't do the holding midfielder role well enough. I've never been convinced in that role and I'm yet to see anything to show that he is going to play there regularly throughout his career. I think we needed Clayton to do the calming role in midfield earlier in the second half when we were struggling to keep the ball. When he was playing in advanced midfield last season he was phenomenal. He can cause so much more damage there, so I feel like we're wasting his qualities at the moment.

I don't think you can go on Wed performance, It was a bit of a lottery,The ball sticking in water, next was pinging off the wet surface, anyone could have won that game

27 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Do you honestly think, that if VAR was used in this league, that we would still only have scored 16 goals and have only 17 points? 

I cannot remember us being "gifted" any goals this season, like Ayalas handball goal v WBA last season... But I can for sure think of at least 4situations this season, where perfectly good goals have been ruled out, or a clear penna wasn't given. (that is not a given goal, if Britt takes it though..:P)

We have scored some freaks of own goals as well... (that's not down to luck alone, though) 

We have had a high number of injuries.. i would say higher than the average number of injuries this early. Fry, Shotton, Coulson, Friend, Gestede (lol), Brown, Randolph, Dijksteel, Paddy and maybe Britt

I am not saying we could be top of the table for God's sake.. just that we could have scored more goals, have had more points (a few) and fielded our best players more often... 

🙄🙄🙄

Don't include me, I've already moved on and stopped talking about this yesterday 😴

You're still wrong though.  You'd think there would be at least one subject you'd know at least something about, surely?

18 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I think the point you're making is fair enough mate, we have had some decisions go against us. Those decisions could have led to more points. But it's not clear cut that we would have got the points had those decisions gone for us or had every ref got every decision right in the games we played in, we'd arguably have lost vs. Luton rather than won for a start.

I'd say home games so far this season are probably still in the majority or on the balance of where I think the ref may well have changed the end result through his decisions, the timing of the goal vs. Brentford for a start was quite important to factor in any potential result. For one, we could have been in a more confident position with something to hold onto. But it was also quite early on and any equaliser could have shifted momentum back to Brentford and actually given them more belief to go on and score the winner they ended up getting. Or maybe we could have grabbed a 2nd, who knows. The fact is we didn't score an adjudged legitimate goal before they did and there was plenty of time before Watkins scored. So yeah, I am and was frustrated at the course of events during that game, things would have been different had our goal stood but there's no guarantee that that the result would be different in that game in particular.