oneBoro Forum

Boro v Leeds (A) 0-4

What has Clayton done to be frozen out like he is currently? No players yet he can’t get in the starting 11. Saville straight back in after his suspension when he’s shown zero ability or aptitude this season. 

I was all for us going 5 at the back when Shotton was playing well and Ayala and Fry were also in the team. But now we don’t have the personnel he needs to change it again. Playing Howson as CB and our best MF player as CB is ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"we haven't got an on loan player in, so that says it all really" I wonder who's fault that was.  "We've lost a lot of players over the summer and replaced them with the three younger player

For me, I've watched us play a fair few games this year and theres been a sprinkling of us looking good. It's not constant and it's in flashes.  However, what worries me the most is that we just

I still can't believe he chose to appoint a total rookie like Woodgate, KNOWING the club doesn't have the funds to invest heavily in the squad. You can get by with average / poor or just inexperi

Well that was brutal, but to be fair did we expect anything else? At least 2 players ( Britt & McNair) didn't look fit , and  the rest bereft of confidence

i am however worried at how much wing is struggling esp as we have no one else to give him a rest apart from kids.

overran in midfield & the flanks, nothing sticking up front, a recipe for disaster. Ended up giving 2 youngsters their debuts, not a good situation to be in.

personally I feel woodgates been given a duff hand , his presentation about attacking football immediately undermined by letting experienced players go & not supporting him in the market even with loans . He was always going to make mistakes being inexperienced but was not allowed an experienced back room staff.

i think any manager would struggle with this squad, albeit I think someone more experienced should have been taken on given the magnitude of the task.

• Like 1

Atrocious match. To concede in the inside 3 minutes and then the last minute of the first half shows a fundamental lack of concentration. From the third minute the match was lost, any pressure on Leeds was lifted immediately with a goal gifted to Bamford.

Let's hope we can keep in touch with the stragglers until January. However, I'm not confident that the recruitment team, or Woodgate and especially Gibson will give us a fighting chance. So we have a triple handicap.

• Like 5

For me, I've watched us play a fair few games this year and theres been a sprinkling of us looking good. It's not constant and it's in flashes. 

However, what worries me the most is that we just didnt even muster any real chances throughout the game. That's a worry as its typical of most of our games this season, as shown with the low shots and conversion stats. 

I still cant quite fathom what type of team we are. Do we defend deep and hit them on the break? Do we play with the infamous Woodgate high press? What exactly is our approach to games? 

We dont keep the ball well. That's a worry. Even in periods today where Leeds were at us and even the Hull game, *** me, just pass the ball around and make Leeds work for it. We gave them the ball back so many times but for no purpose? I just dont get it. Its amateurish, it really is. 

It's going to get worse before it gets better, that's for sure. Randolph will leave and if you're a Boro player now, why on earth would you sign an extended contract to stay?

I hate it. I honestly hate it so much. It's like watching your house burn down and being powerless to stop it whilst Woodgate tries to blunder about and put it out whilst Gibson controls the water. 

No game plan, no tactics, no possession, no shots and no enjoyment. 

We currently win 1 game in 6. Have the 5th worst goal difference in the league. It's amazing we're not in the bottom 3. 

• Like 6

What happened to the soundbites from Woodgate pre-season about the Gegenpress style he admired and wanted to implement at the club after learning it from Klopp during his time at Liverpool? He was also a scout at Liverpool watching some of the best young talent in the UK yet presented Bola and Browne in his PowerPoint to our club hierarchy.

9 hours ago, Skinemrippers said:

What has Clayton done to be frozen out like he is currently? No players yet he can’t get in the starting 11. Saville straight back in after his suspension when he’s shown zero ability or aptitude this season. 

I was all for us going 5 at the back when Shotton was playing well and Ayala and Fry were also in the team. But now we don’t have the personnel he needs to change it again. Playing Howson as CB and our best MF player as CB is ridiculous. 

Turns up late for training and often ignores the club's dress policy

I said months ago that Randolph would be sold in January and we'd focus on Pears as our #1 going forward. 

Oh dear.

• Sad 1

I wasn’t expecting to win, Leeds are probably the best team in the league, but to lose 4-0 in the manner we did was embarrassing. It could have been 6-0 really and that wouldn’t have been an unfair result.

Woodgate’s been unlucky with injuries and a thin squad, but there’s no getting away from the fact that thus far his management of our club has been inept. He’s new to management, so hopefully he’s learning game by game, but there’s no evidence to suggest that is the case. In fact, he’s making the same mistakes over and over again.

Honestly don’t know what the answer is. No point sacking him, because who’s Gibson going to replace him with? He’s not going to splash out to get someone good in and it’ll just be another familiar face to come in and worsen the situation.

In my opinion, it’s abundantly clear that Woodgate should have never been given this job. 
If we got Slavisa Jokanovic in the summer, who was available albeit expensive, I’d bet everything that I have that we wouldn’t be in the position we’re in, and he’d be getting more out of these players.

Contrary to what gets said, we’ve got some really good players in our squad that most other teams would take in a heartbeat, our managers are just not getting the best out of them. 

Gibson’s getting what he deserves in my opinion for years of mismanagement of this club. Mistake after mistake, parochial decisions with no long term strategy. Club needs cleansing.

• Like 3

All the Bamford chat about hi not wanting to leave I think we can now dismiss, certainly he celebrated his goal well and did not mute it whatsoever as is the usual case when you score against an old team

BORO squad value is around 7th to 9th place so why is Woodgate not getting better results. Woodgate spent money and brought in league 1 players he wanted, were are they. Woodgate on his appointment made brave statements about spending and style of play but we have players other clubs would droll over and his style of play is unrecognised. The point being with better players than other clubs have we barely beat Barnsley with 31% possession and now stuffed by Leeds, Woody wants money to spend.
Money from where. Well l I think we all know what’s planned and that is to cash in on players of value and replace with more league 1 players. I say this. Come midway we won’t be in a strong enough position to bed players and fight for survival. If results remain the same why should Woodgate remain and why give him financial control that may quite easily put an end to the club. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

All the Bamford chat about hi not wanting to leave I think we can now dismiss, certainly he celebrated his goal well and did not mute it whatsoever as is the usual case when you score against an old team

Southgate stated “I don’t think he wanted to leave”. Bamford owes BORO nothing, we sold him. Anyway he has a job to do, he did it well and celebrated, I would. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

That's because Patrick Bamford is a ***.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I wasn’t expecting to win, Leeds are probably the best team in the league, but to lose 4-0 in the manner we did was embarrassing. It could have been 6-0 really and that wouldn’t have been an unfair result.

Woodgate’s been unlucky with injuries and a thin squad, but there’s no getting away from the fact that thus far his management of our club has been inept. He’s new to management, so hopefully he’s learning game by game, but there’s no evidence to suggest that is the case. In fact, he’s making the same mistakes over and over again.

Honestly don’t know what the answer is. No point sacking him, because who’s Gibson going to replace him with? He’s not going to splash out to get someone good in and it’ll just be another familiar face to come in and worsen the situation.

In my opinion, it’s abundantly clear that Woodgate should have never been given this job. 
If we got Slavisa Jokanovic in the summer, who was available albeit expensive, I’d bet everything that I have that we wouldn’t be in the position we’re in, and he’d be getting more out of these players.

Contrary to what gets said, we’ve got some really good players in our squad that most other teams would take in a heartbeat, our managers are just not getting the best out of them. 

Gibson’s getting what he deserves in my opinion for years of mismanagement of this club. Mistake after mistake, parochial decisions with no long term strategy. Club needs cleansing.

They're still not a great team though according to some of our more knowledgeable posters. 

31 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I would think that being forced out against your will would ensure that kind of result. I'd also say it was quite telling but I think (not entirely sure) Bamford celebrated scoring against Derby for us. I think he's put himself all in at Leeds, he wants to be part of their culture and give their fans his all and fair play to him, tbh.

11 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

BORO squad value is around 7th to 9th place so why is Woodgate not getting better results. Woodgate spent money and brought in league 1 players he wanted, were are they. Woodgate on his appointment made brave statements about spending and style of play but we have players other clubs would droll over and his style of play is unrecognised. The point being with better players than other clubs have we barely beat Barnsley with 31% possession and now stuffed by Leeds, Woody wants money to spend.
Money from where. Well l I think we all know what’s planned and that is to cash in on players of value and replace with more league 1 players. I say this. Come midway we won’t be in a strong enough position to bed players and fight for survival. If results remain the same why should Woodgate remain and why give him financial control that may quite easily put an end to the club. 

I agree with most of your post but that last question.

I do not believe that any manager as been given financial control in the Gibson period.Gibson and his DoF's  (Lamb and Bauser ) with no football experience between them are the ones buying and selling and doing it badly I may add. He buys the players not the managers I think Gibson released his tight grip for a small period whilst AK was manager and the Portuguese  connection Mendes and Kenyon managed to talk him around to investing outside his circle. But he still slipped in players like Downing who AK could not abide and showed that through dropping him continuously much like a few of the short term contracts that Gibson had managed to sign,. Come the end he got the better of AK for not going with the flow of his decisions and in the final January window when he did not back him and he tightened his grip again on the funding saying there was no money. Which we all know was a lie because within a few months he started spending 50 mill on players when Monk was made manager. I still do not believe Monk was the reason he spent that money, it was his gamble to try and get back into the PL. It failed badly.

18 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

They're still not a great team though according to some of our more knowledgeable posters. 

They’re entitled to their opinion, but I can’t see any teams better than Leeds in this division. West Brom maybe. Leeds have been getting results, whilst playing great football. We can only dream of being at their level as it stands.