oneBoro Forum

Match of the Decade

As we're approaching 2020, I thought it'd be interesting to do a set of "of the decade" discussions. The oneBoro Match of the Decade - which game stands out to you? This could be based on the atmosphere, going in as underdogs, last minute winners, unexpected result based on circumstances, etc...

This could be interesting!

34 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I would guess it has to be the Brighton game to clinch promotion?

Man City away in the cup probably worth a mention as well.

Cant really argue with those 2. 

Reading when Forshaw scored the winner with essentially the last kick of the game. Probably the most I have celebrated a Boro goal since Steaua

Brentford at home in the play offs although marred by the no show in the final

United in the Cup when we won on penalties.

Brighton promotion game, no contest.

Best atmosphere I've ever experienced, never heard so much noise in the north stand, my head was absolutely killing by the end of the match because of the non-stop chanting. There have been plenty of better matches, but none can compare on overall spectacle.

The Man City win was great, but it lead to an easy capitulation against Arsenal in the next round.

Edited by TeaCider24

Another contender .. The thriller with the many pennas v Liverpool

I will always remeber De Roon's late equalizer v City in the PL too 

But these two not as wild as the ones mentioned so far.. Just adding them for nostalgic reasons.. We need that atm 😛

Obviously Brighton at home takes some beating. I watched Man City away in a pub in Camden with my Stockport supporting boss and the MSS group, I remember as we had to move from an Irish bar that couldn't get the bloody match on so we missed a bit of it.

As far as individual moments go, David Nugent's header vs. Hull or Rhodes' second vs. Bolton make those two very unforgettable if largely unremarkable games as a whole.

I still love the Ipswich home game too. Scoring the first, 10 minutes to wait for a keeper injury that knocked us to pot as Murphy immediately got their goal. Adomah grabs one to put us back in front. Then take a bow Bamford with two exquisite pieces of forward work, particularly leaving Christophe Berra for dead with a dummy he's probably still never recovered from.

Brighton at home for promotion

Man City away, FA Cup

Cardiff away when we smashed them 3-0, ending their automatic promotion chances

Oxford United at home, FA Cup (for pure entertainment value)

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
15 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Boro vs Man City 2-2 has to be one of my favourites which hasn’t been mentioned yet. Still remember than sane dive followed by Callum chambers scoring

Not sure it's really a good memory as we were cheated out of the lead twice by diving.

If we'd won, we would have been 4 points from safety with 3 games left, rather than 6 points, and it would have dragged out the chance of survival.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, Changing Times said:

I would guess it has to be the Brighton game to clinch promotion?

Man City away in the cup probably worth a mention as well.

Yes I would think the Brighton game must be up there before i start to think of other games, the colour, the noice, the atmosphere, what was at stake etc

I've never in my 47 years supporting the Boro I experienced  constant noice & colour all around the ground, including everything that took place on the pitch in those 90 ecstatic minutes 

I was a privalidge fan to be among the Boro fans that day & I would think the Brighton fans who were there would feel the same

I will sit down & ponder games over the decade but they will have to be something special to beat that one game