oneBoro Forum

Great Feeling

I have to admit that it is a great feeling to be 3 games into the season,unbeaten and we have not conceded a goal yet but these thoughts are going through my mind:

1) If we get promoted (I know its early days) are we going to end up like Birmingham,WBA etc and become a yo yo club.

2) Is the gap between the Premiership and Championship that massive that even Southgate looks like Fergie number 2.

3) Are the majority of players that we have Championship quality and thats it

4) Would I be happier in this league rather than being in the Premiership without getting the winning feeling on a regular basis.

5) Do Boro turn into a club that gets promoted into the Premiership,doesnt invest into its squad and take the financial rewards only to be relegated the following season.Plus selling the latest great youth player we have discovered.Lets face it, it looks like Gibson cannot fund us as a Premiership team.

Im interested what other people are thinking.(Ragnars post got me thinking like this)

On another subject, I had to laugh that Sunderland got beat last night.After they beat Bolton at the weekend their fans were talking about qualifying for Europe,beating Chelsea,Cattermole World Class etc etc.Are the Mackems taking over from the Geordies as the most deluded fans.

I think that the fact you are pondering these questions highlights all the uncertainties of being a Boro supporter. We all know that the official line is that we are aiming to go straight back up but that still leaves plenty of doubt about the club's full intent. Will Gibbo be content to see us become a yo-yo club because, if you can yo-yo without ever spending anything on Prem players, it could be quite a lucrative policy.

As to the class difference between the two leagues, it's there for all to see, just as plainly as the difference between the Champions League clubs and the rest of the Prem. We talked last year of three divisions in the Prem - those competing to get into Europe, the safe middle-rankers and the group fighting to avoid relegation. Perhaps that third group and the Championship group that's fighting for promotion are one and the same. What I mean is that the bottom echelon of the Prem could be regarded as including the likely promotion candidates from the Championship and that group, as a whole, isn't Prem quality. If that's right then we have an answer to the question about the class divide but it's shifted so that it happens at about slot 14 or 15 in the Prem. It's an answer, Jim, but not an answer as we know it. It's enough to drive a man to drink... which reminds me...

I think being in the position we are in at the moment is fantastic. 3 games 5 goals sounds impressive but what I'm happier with is 3 games 0 conceded. Is it going to come to the point that Brad Jones is fit put him back in goal, I really hope not. I don't post many posts but I did say (on the EG site) I would welcome Danny Coyne with open arms and he's still to prove me wrong. I think until the transfer window closes we will still be none the wiser on what we do as a team, but I'm happy with the start we've made. As an answer to your questions VB this is my opinion:

1. No last time we were promoted we lasted 11 years.

2. The gap is massive but not that much that Southgate will ever look like a shade on SAF.

3. If the players we have are only Championship quality why is there daily reports that Premiership clubs are being linked to our players?

4. That's a tricky one, it's nice to win but we can do this in the premiership.

5. I don't think we would try to get promoted to be relegated the next, although Gibbo has bailed this club long enough I don't think he has the financial clout to compete with the majority of premiership clubs now.

As for the for Mackems taking over from the Geordies as the most deluded fans not a chance. When Celtic bought Venegoor of Hessalink Newcastle tried to sign DeLusion of Grandeur.

Yeah, things feel pretty good at the moment, esecially the no goals against column. 43 more games to go though...

1) I think many of the so called yo-yo's are simply not prepared properly for the Premier League, either they don't buy or they buy mercenaries. It ill be interesting to see how Hull & Stoke do this year. The main point about the EPL though is that, the top 7 apart, there's not much difference between the teams in the bottom 12... So no, we won't, we're still a bigger name and therefore a bigger attraction than Fulham, Wigan, Portsmouth, Bolton, Blackburn, Hull, Stoke, WBA etc

2) The gap between 12th in the Premiership and 3rd in the Championship is small

3) Our players are not good enough to sustain Premier League status as things stand but nothing that a couple signings wouldn't fix

4) I for one will enjoy this season if we maintain a top 5 position throughout but the Premier League is where it's at

5) Valid point VB and I fear you're right. It's a struggle to compete on 26,000 crowds but there's hope. I can't realistically see us repeatedly hitting 7th or 8th place but now and then...

The problem is this. You see, the Premiership is a poisoned chalice to clubs like Boro. You go up and you instantly become cannon fodder for the "big clubs" as are all the other non achievers in the Premier League.

I mean, realistically. What the hell are Boro and the likes ever going to achieve in the top flight. A cup run, scraping into Europe or a top ten finish. OK I'm hearing everyone, "well we won the league cup and got to the UEFA final". Yeah we did, but that was a one off.

It's a fact that the top four clubs are the top four because they pay the highest transfer fees and the highest wages. Where is the excitement in knowing that year upon year we sort of know which clubs are going to win what. Er........... BORING!!!!!!!!!!

The Premier league is a bloated dinosaur of a competition.

THE FUTURES BRIGHT, THE FUTURES THE FIZZY POP LEAGUE. UTB.

SmilerBoro ... So you would like to see Boro do well in the Championship then towards the end of the season slip away so that we do not relegated as you dont want us to go into the Premiership? :)

Thats why I said does Gibson hope we go up,then not invest heavily into some new players and take his chance.If we stay up great but if we go down as a business we would have enjoyed the financial benefits whilst our overheads have been relatively on the low side meaning nice profits. :) I am not saying he should, but it seems the fans are enjoying our early success in the CCC and if that continues over the season then we will be promoted.

Of course I want them to win it and go up. I was merely pointing out the whole pointlessness of the Premier League. It's crazy.

If Boro were to stay in the Premier League, I would want them to do so within their means. The days of excessive spending and debt are coming to an end and if that means Coca Cola / Premiership Footie every other year then so be it.

I've a feeling Leeds and Southampton fans would take that any day.

smilerboro...I agree with you regarding the Premier League.The big 4 will always stay the big 4 whilst they are playing in the Champions League because that straight away gives them a £40 million advantage per season over the other teams.I do think the FA and Premier League need to look into how it can make it a fairer playing field for all teams in terms of finances.

May be being in the Championship for a season will give reignite our love for the Premiership. I see Burnley beat Man Utd tonight, I bet they are having street parties in that part of Lancashire tonight.

it always nice 2 have that winning feeling and in the prem i was always happy 2 stay and have a cup run that way we keep the better players and you get that mass buzz from a really good cup run that said it would be nice if we could push on up the prem league like i thought we were gunna do not that long ago but it's there for all to see if that dream is 2 become real Gibson needs to sell up or get some1 else on board with more money ideally would be Gibson as a billionaire but thats not gunna happen soon is it

I would suggest looking at the different Premier League websites and see what they are charging for tickets - that might explain why cash is tight and why it is vitally important for any Boro manager to spend the money very wisely.

The problem is this. You see, the Premiership is a poisoned chalice to clubs like Boro. You go up and you instantly become cannon fodder for the "big clubs" as are all the other non achievers in the Premier League.

I mean, realistically. What the hell are Boro and the likes ever going to achieve in the top flight. A cup run, scraping into Europe or a top ten finish. OK I'm hearing everyone, "well we won the league cup and got to the UEFA final". Yeah we did, but that was a one off.

It's a fact that the top four clubs are the top four because they pay the highest transfer fees and the highest wages. Where is the excitement in knowing that year upon year we sort of know which clubs are going to win what. Er........... BORING!!!!!!!!!!

The Premier league is a bloated dinosaur of a competition.

THE FUTURES BRIGHT, THE FUTURES THE FIZZY POP LEAGUE. UTB.

Cant have been a one off if we did it twice mate :D

It can be done though, you say what the hell are boro and the likes going to do. Well it starts with astute management and knowledge, look at everton, moyes has spent a lot less than we have, yet still managed to finish 5th, villa managed 6th and fulham 7th. So it can be done, its not about big budgets, yes we will probably never make the top 4, but knowledge and experience can count for just as much as splashing millions on overpaid muppets.

We spent 13million on a "goalscorer" (A term used very lightyl) and he couldnt hit a cows *** with banjo, everton played most of last season without a proper striker, yet still managed 5th and FA cup final. Fulham havent spent millions, yet had a few outstanding players who never cost the earth, Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson spring to mind, as does a certain keeper and Hangeland, who was unknown a year ago!?!?! (OK so johnson may have cost a bit, but was proven)

So it is possible but you have to get the best out of yourself and your resources, something we failed miserably in!

The sad fact is that the Premier League is arguably the best league in the world, most definately the biggest spectacle and not that many teams win it. As football has developed the number of teams winning has decreased, we aren't that much better than the scottish league in this respect, just more big teams.

Money is the key - if you can get a rich benefactor you will be just making up the numbers, but in truth that isn't much different for the Championship, it is just that there are six new teams every year, this adds a little spice. As we see though Cardiff, Sheff Utd, Reading and PNE seem to be raising to the top a little more than others.

Sure there will always be the dark horse, but we are all making up the numbers really and I would rather be paying to watch Boro play against some modern greats as opposed to Billy "clobber" Smith.

Sometimes it’s not always about money.

Roughly how much did Roy Hodgeson spend last year to get Fulham into Europe?, I'm not saying that a good manager doesn't have to spend a penny to get the rewards, but like all walks of life you need to spend but spend wisely and a good managr can do that.

On a personal note, I think Boro did spend wisely last season but needed to buy one or two more players for positions that Boro were going to struggle in (ie a decent keeper), Boro just didn't have the right man in charge for that (and still doesn't).

Southgate should have been sacked and replaced with someone who can get the team to play and focus on the task in hand when the slump started, even it meant for someone like Arca to have been sold, Boro have better players than Arca, so he wouldn’t have been missed.

We spent 13million on a "goalscorer" (A term used very lightyl) and he couldnt hit a cows *** with banjo, everton played most of last season without a proper striker, yet still managed 5th and FA cup final. Fulham havent spent millions, yet had a few outstanding players who never cost the earth, Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson spring to mind, as does a certain keeper and Hangeland, who was unknown a year ago!?!?! (OK so johnson may have cost a bit, but was proven)

So it is possible but you have to get the best out of yourself and your resources, something we failed miserably in!

Actually Fulham spent £10.5-£13million on Andy Johnson and he scored a whopping 7 league goals for them last season. Not exactly a glowing success story but still a little better than Alves i suppose.