oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock rumours

Since there's now a working theory that Neil Warnock might be about to replace Woodgate (as reported in today's Sun), we probably need a dedicated thread on the man.

Would anyone welcome Warnock if it meant the end of Woodgate's stay and our current pitiful standard of play? Or are we just making another short-term, knee-jerk appointment with no thought for what comes after? I'm genuinely conflicted - I don't like Warnock's football, but I also hate how poor our performances are at present. I'm not sure Project Woody is going to bear fruit any more than Pulis's "root and branch reform" (© the Gazette) was ever going to steer us into calm financial waters. Yet it's hard to see a 71-year old who keeps saying he's retired as the answer to anything.

Would you rather...?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He can't retire. Every time he goes home and settles into his Shackleton Wingback chair with a copy of the Racing Post and a mug of cocoa, some pesky Football League manager sends a telegram asking fo

The definition of incompetent is "lacking the skills or knowledge to do a job or perform an action correctly or to a satisfactory standard". We're sat one point outside the relegation zone, won 3 leag

Name me a Pulis performance as good as this.   Or this      Or this    Or this   

Posted Images

Rather stick than twist to be totally honest, if what were twisting to is warnock. Dont like him as a manager, cant stand him as a person. I also feel that it will just add to the long term suffering of the club. Give him a january and hell sign more players to fit his style of football who well then struggle to shift once again once it inevitably goes wrong. 

Personally I'd rather give woodgate the time to keep us up and start fresh in the summer either with him as our manager if he proves successful in the second half of the season or with a new manager who wont just continue the panic cycle weve been in for years. 

However if we can bring in an experienced manager with a track record of delivering on the promises woodgate made in the summer right now I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Rather stick than twist to be totally honest, if what were twisting to is warnock. Dont like him as a manager, cant stand him as a person. I also feel that it will just add to the long term suffering of the club. Give him a january and hell sign more players to fit his style of football who well then struggle to shift once again once it inevitably goes wrong. 

Personally I'd rather give woodgate the time to keep us up and start fresh in the summer either with him as our manager if he proves successful in the second half of the season or with a new manager who wont just continue the panic cycle weve been in for years. 

However if we can bring in an experienced manager with a track record of delivering on the promises woodgate made in the summer right now I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Agree with NB4 here to a greater extent, if we can afford to change Managers then why did we not strengthen when it was so obvious we needed to.

To me it will be unwatchable football and I do want to start going to games again

There are a number of points here.

First off, do you believe the report in The Sun? The ‘exclusive’ was rubbished in the Gazette, but do you believe them either?

Let’s say it’s kosher. Warnock would not be my number 1 choice by a mile, but he’s certainly streets ahead of Woodgate. I would take an experienced manager over a rookie any day. And as he seems to be good friends with SG and loves the Boro (God knows why) I would imagine he would do the job on the cheap (relatively speaking).

There are plenty of good managers currently without a job – not least AK – but would any of them want to come to Boro?  

If Warnock is offered and takes the job, given his age he will not be looking at a long-term commitment anyway, so this could be a good option.

Anyway, MFC’s stance of blaming it all on injuries in no way stands up. We were crap before them, and we will continue to be crap after these players return. We need, at least, a competent manager.

sloth no GIF

It's a good point re: transfers, if Warnock gets players in who last beyond his reign, similar to what's happened here with Pulis. Who will he sign that will benefit the manager after him? Or will we pay the price for his thinking in the long run?

As for Brexit, I can't say I'm particularly surprised someone of his persuasion wants to say 'to hell with the rest of the world' in such emphatic terms, especially when he personally won't be paying any price for it afterwards. I disagree with him on that, perhaps it wouldn't shock anyone to know.

41 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Since there's now a working theory that Neil Warnock might be about to replace Woodgate (as reported in today's Sun), we probably need a dedicated thread on the man.

Would anyone welcome Warnock if it meant the end of Woodgate's stay and our current pitiful standard of play? Or are we just making another short-term, knee-jerk appointment with no thought for what comes after? I'm genuinely conflicted - I don't like Warnock's football, but I also hate how poor our performances are at present. I'm not sure Project Woody is going to bear fruit any more than Pulis's "root and branch reform" (© the Gazette) was ever going to steer us into calm financial waters. Yet it's hard to see a 71-year old who keeps saying he's retired as the answer to anything.

Would you rather...?

I for one would welcome Warnock. As I said on another thread, he can't do any worse than Woodgate.

It has to be a short-term solution...mainly because he's an old feller and ready for retirement, but also because I agree we do eventually need someone more modern and progressive in their footballing philosophy.

Gibson has made some pretty needless knee-jerk decisions IMO over the last few years. Right now we actually NEED one.

For the time being we need someone who can stop us spiralling down the plughole into League 1 and hopefully give Gibson time to figure out what to do about the club's finances...or to step back / down and let someone with better resources take the reins.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Remember it was warnock who took flint off our hands. That's the style and caliber of players well be seeing coming in under his control.

Sadly even if appointed I believe we will not see anyone come in, certainly not of worth.

I am dreading this window to be honest

1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

Sadly even if appointed I believe we will not see anyone come in, certainly not of worth.

I am dreading this window to be honest

Can we open a new thread:

Worst transfer window of the decade?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I also dont want a man with this kind of attitude anywhere near our club tbh, though that's just personal choice- 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/12/neil-warnock-cardiff-city-brexit-leave

What on Earth do his political leanings have to do with anything? We're (supposedly) considering hiring him to bail us out of trouble. If he can do that I couldn't care less whether he's pro or anti-Brexit.

• Like 2

Warnock on a deal to the end of the season to save us from relegation in a no-thrills style would just about be palatable. I'd take a dinosaur like him over an incompetent, inexperienced guy like Woodgate.

• Like 2