oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock rumours

There are a lot of short-term problems for us at the moment due to injuries and suspensions, but with the right manager in place like Hughton we should avoid relegation comfortably as we still have a lot of quality within our squad. We also have a January window coming up to patch up the areas of concern like at fullback and on the wings until the summer transfer window.

Boro having to now operate sensibly and stopping wasting money is no reason for us to have no realistic expectations of a top 6 finish next season. We're losing loads of money because we've made terrible decisions in the transfer market signing average Championship level players for inflated fees and appointing inadequate managers. Once we start making the right decisions, we'll stop losing so much money and, in turn, will start building a good squad within a modest budget. It is possible to be run sensibly and get promoted. Burnley, Sheffield United and Norwich are testament to that.

• Like 3
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He can't retire. Every time he goes home and settles into his Shackleton Wingback chair with a copy of the Racing Post and a mug of cocoa, some pesky Football League manager sends a telegram asking fo

The definition of incompetent is "lacking the skills or knowledge to do a job or perform an action correctly or to a satisfactory standard". We're sat one point outside the relegation zone, won 3 leag

Name me a Pulis performance as good as this.   Or this      Or this    Or this   

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, p_mards said:

There are a lot of short-term problems for us at the moment due to injuries and suspensions, but with the right manager in place like Hughton we should avoid relegation comfortably as we still have a lot of quality within our squad. We also have a January window coming up to patch up the areas of concern like at fullback and on the wings until the summer transfer window.

Boro having to now operate sensibly and stopping wasting money is no reason for us to have no realistic expectations of a top 6 finish next season. We're losing loads of money because we've made terrible decisions in the transfer market signing average Championship level players for inflated fees and appointing inadequate managers. Once we start making the right decisions, we'll stop losing so much money and, in turn, will start building a good squad within a modest budget. It is possible to be run sensibly and get promoted. Burnley, Sheffield United and Norwich are testament to that.

A couple of years ago this club would have been an attractive proposition, I just don't know if Houghton who has managed Newcastle and Brighton in the PL would want to start al over again trying to build a squad on  a small budget. 

That was the  idea of bringing Bola and Dijksteel in to address the fullback problem and its nothing short of disastrous, 2 of the worst fullbacks I've ever seen in a Boro shirt.

10 hours ago, SmogInSheff said:

Can see why he'd turn down Watford hardly a stable situation we offer him a blank slate type job with a shrinking wage budget I bet he'd back himself to build up a squad next summer. The last bit about SOME board members is pretty hilarious when the reason these stories are appearing is I'm pretty sure a bad result vs Charlton and they already know what they'll have to do by lining up a replacement ASAP.

I'll go on record as saying I'll take any manager with any sort of decent track record give me Shteve Mclaren back if you can wrangle it Hughton/Warnock are best case scenario's I guess shame we limited our last hunt to Jokanovic and Woodgate the only reason JWs still employed is people can't swallow how badly they screwed up and are dragging it on out of their own pride at this point I suspect the JW supporters on the board are Bausor, Bevington and Gibson I can't imagine Joyes or Lamb are the 1s dragging this on.

Bola and Dijksteel are very raw but certainly have potential. Sorry for repeating this point for about the third time on here, but them two would massively benefit from a top quality coach who will drill them defensively - someone akin to Karanka. If the plan is to buying young talent and improve them, like we are led to believe, with good coaching and game time then having Woodgate as our manager completely undermines it.

2 hours ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

If we can afford Hughton we can afford Karanka. I don't care about the dangers of nostalgia, just give me that beautiful man back. 

Everyone to their own, Karanka not for me, was well backed financially in the championship, different scenario this time, he was average, no better than that in my opinion and very petty in a lot of situations.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Everyone to their own, Karanka not for me, was well backed financially in the championship, different scenario this time, he was average, no better than that in my opinion and very petty in a lot of situations.

So how much of that well backing got us promoted?

Dimi (free)

Nsue (free) gibson (academy) ayala (300k) friend (150k)

Leadbitter (free) clayton (1mil)

Stuani (2mil) ramirez (loan) adomah (1mil)

Kike (2.5mil)

Yes we spent big money on downing and Rhodes. Neither of which karanka cared about and neither of which were the difference between getting promoted or not. This retrospective bias against ak is purely media and gibson driven. He did a remarkable job.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Dimi (free)

Kike (2.5mil)

Yes we spent big money on downing and Rhodes. Neither of which karanka cared about and neither of which were the difference between getting promoted or not. This retrospective bias against ak is purely media and gibson driven. He did a remarkable job.

NB i agree with most of what you said bar the bit about Rhodes not making a meaningful contribution to promotion. His goals were vital. From the top of my head he got the late equaliser v MK dons, his 2 late goals v Bolton which turned 0 points in to 3pts and his goal at Turf Moor v Burnley in the 1-1 draw. His goals directly contributed to 4 or 5pts. In the end we went up by 1pt i think it was?

He did not score the 4th or 5th goal in a big win or a mere consolation in a loss. His goals directly led to priceless points.

50 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Dimi (free)

Kike (2.5mil)

The man did not have the temperament to be a successful manager long term. End of. I don’t know how anyone could pine for him

• Like 1
3 hours ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

If we can afford Hughton we can afford Karanka. I don't care about the dangers of nostalgia, just give me that beautiful man back. 

An angry react from Blanco, I thought you were OneBoro’s sweetheart 💔💔💔

Karanka did extremely well prior to being backed substantially. He turned around the 2013/14 season. Yes, he was backed a lot more in 2014/15 and especially 2015/16 but he already proved he could do it on a budget. 

Plus, how I felt about boro under Karanka... Well, I’d never felt that way before and I’ve never felt that way since. He made me feel proud to support that team. He brought the whole town together. He provided unforgettable moments. He represented something exciting. He promised avenues he ultimately never delivered upon but for a while I really believed everything was going to be okay. Call it rose tinted glasses or whatever you want, I *** love him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, p_mards said:

Bola and Dijksteel are very raw but certainly have potential. Sorry for repeating this point for about the third time on here, but them two would massively benefit from a top quality coach who will drill them defensively - someone akin to Karanka. If the plan is to buying young talent and improve them, like we are led to believe, with good coaching and game time then having Woodgate as our manager completely undermines it.

I agree Boro have thrown these in to the deep end they just moved to a new club playing in a new tougher league it's a bit much to expect them to start like a house on fire. I can see them being more ready next season and they will fair better in a team that leaves them less exposed. 

Quite gutted Pearson has took the Watford job as I thought he would have came in and done a good job if we did sack woodgate . We know we got interviewed when Pulis got the job so he was obviously keen , a think he will do ok with Watford despite their horrid season so far 

I think what people are forgetting on here about Karanka success is he couldnt of had that initial success without the work of Mowbray before him getting that squad to a mid table team and taking out the big earners while doing it. Currently we are at the point where we are as bad as when stracken left us. 

Now on the basis of his success he drilled that defense and the two cdms to work as a unit and be solid he could do that again but wouldn't solve the issue we have upfront. Wed still need investiment in people like Kike for strikers and bringing in wingers which Gibson wont spend. Thats why i wouldn't argue karanka as i think Gibson will want to cut the money so Warnock i think we would be a better fit. 

• Like 1