oneBoro Forum

Neil Warnock rumours

Is it really such a hot take that Downing was good in the promotion season? Hmmmm. Not value for money perhaps but still thought he was good personally. There weren't many that were bad, mind.

And Rhodes? Rhodes was brought in to score goals that made the difference between promotion and not, sure he wasn't a complete all-rounder of a striker and in general terms of effectiveness Ramirez was quite some way ahead of him but boiling it down to just goals and assists directly contributed to 10 points, same as Ramirez, more than Nugent and Kike did across the whole season, despite Nugent's near double goal contribution stats (16 vs. Rhodes' 9).

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He can't retire. Every time he goes home and settles into his Shackleton Wingback chair with a copy of the Racing Post and a mug of cocoa, some pesky Football League manager sends a telegram asking fo

The definition of incompetent is "lacking the skills or knowledge to do a job or perform an action correctly or to a satisfactory standard". We're sat one point outside the relegation zone, won 3 leag

Name me a Pulis performance as good as this.   Or this      Or this    Or this   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Karanka did extremely well prior to being backed substantially. He turned around the 2013/14 season. Yes, he was backed a lot more in 2014/15 and especially 2015/16 but he already proved he could do it on a budget. 

Plus, how I felt about boro under Karanka... Well, I’d never felt that way before and I’ve never felt that way since. He made me feel proud to support that team. He brought the whole town together. He provided unforgettable moments. He represented something exciting. He promised avenues he ultimately never delivered upon but for a while I really believed everything was going to be okay. Call it rose tinted glasses or whatever you want, I *** love him. 

🙄

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

🙄

It’s definitely rose tinted glasses. His football was side to side on a constant basis. He made Pulis look like Guerdiola

In the Championship under Karanka we defended incredibly well and scored goals from all over the pitch.

Two things we're not doing under Woodgate and didn't really do under Pulis either. 

I'd have Karanka back in a heartbeat, but it would take a HUGE serving of humble pie from Gibson to admit he got it wrong and bring him back.

The only issue I have with Karanka is I don't think he's cut out to be a PL manager so it would only be a short term solution at best. At least with Hughton you know if he got us promoted next season we'd have a decent shot of staying up.

51 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Name me a Pulis performance as good as this.

Or this 

Or this 

Or this 

Good times, I've not felt the same excitement watching any of the post karanka games. Although he set us up defensively we were actually dangerous going forward too.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Blanco said:

It’s definitely rose tinted glasses. His football was side to side on a constant basis. He made Pulis look like Guerdiola

I completely disagree. To be honest, the only person I ever heard complain about his style of football prior to our Prem season was my grandad - and even then he still loved him. Contrast that with the discontent under Pulis’ regime...

Regardless of that, my point isn’t really about the style of play, it’s how Karanka transformed the atmosphere around the club. I know 15/16 was turbulent but the unity of the 14/15 season was incredible. Losing at Wembley was one of the most bittersweet moments I’ve ever experienced. Vastly disappointed to lose, of course, but there was a feeling across the fan base, the team, and Karanka that we’d come back stronger and do it next year. And we did. 

I know Karanka didn’t exist in a vacuum. Thomas made the good point that he built largely upon the good work of Mowbray. He also came in following 4 and a half years of hurt but when there wasn’t such visible animosity toward the club’s board. That would all be different were he to come in now. However, for me Karanka represented a beacon of hope, unity and success amidst a sea of ***. So I’d take him back in an instant. At the very least it means the return of the la bamba chant.

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Like 1

Whilst I'd love Karanka back in a heartbeat and honestly I really really do. 

Would he get the same success? I genuinely think that squad we had in the promotion season had talent, desire and more importantly a great harmony. 

They looked like the perfect blend together at the right time. I think that would be hard to replicate. 

I just feel the water under the bridge with Downing and Rhodes being brought under Karanka when he said not to ultimately will mean he wont come back 😞

7 hours ago, Blanco said:

Sorry mate but that's just not true. We definitely had games where we did not do enough as an attacking force and we all remember the side to side stuff but we were a much more creative force than we ever were under Pulis overall in this division. It rarely felt like under Karanka that we won in spite of the tactics/performances (I can think of a couple maybe, Brentford away in the promotion year and Norwich away in the previous season), something that even during victories with Pulis felt like a common thing, especially once Adama left.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

Sorry mate but that's just not true. We definitely had games where we did not do enough as an attacking force and we all remember the side to side stuff but we were a much more creative force than we ever were under Pulis overall in this division. It rarely felt like under Karanka that we won in spite of the tactics/performances (I can think of a couple maybe, Brentford away in the promotion year and Norwich away in the previous season), something that even during victories with Pulis felt like a common thing, especially once Adama left.

All opinions mate. I think people remember him more fondly because they haven’t liked what has happened since. If we had “smashed” the league under Monk and gone up and stayed there, nobody would be singing his praises now.

21 minutes ago, Blanco said:

All opinions mate. I think people remember him more fondly because they haven’t liked what has happened since. If we had “smashed” the league under Monk and gone up and stayed there, nobody would be singing his praises now.

I don't disagree with that, I'm not really pining for him to come back either. It really just seems to be people pining for the success that we not that long ago had. People have even considered how much better this season would be with Pulis in charge so we can all see how quickly people can forget how they once felt.

• Like 1