Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GRTourist

Crystal Palace U23 vs Middlesbrough U23

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Apologies for the intrusion.  I covered an U23 match of yours against Newcastle back in November, and planned to do so next time you played down south and I was nearby.  I went to the match against Crystal Palace today, which 'Boro absolutely dominated, and put together this match report with photos.  

https://thegrassrootstourist.com/2019/12/02/crystal-palace-u23/

Hope it's of interest to some.

Regards,

GRTourist

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes me too CT. Fantastic article. Well done GRTourist 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the article and it looks like we might just have some promising players coming through the youth among all this doom and gloom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Great article, although I didn't know Craig Hignett was our u23's coach.

I thought it was Graeme Lee?

You're correct.  I can't even account for where I found that now, but it's miles wrong what with Craig Hignett having recently been sacked by Hartlepool.

 

It's been amended in the article now.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GRTourist said:

You're correct.  I can't even account for where I found that now, but it's miles wrong what with Craig Hignett having recently been sacked by Hartlepool.

 

It's been amended in the article now.  Thanks for pointing it out.

No worries. Apart from that your level of research is astounding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good article mate.

Also very interesting to see the youth team (U-23's in this case) are still persisting with Woodgate's preferred style of football as mentioned at the start of the season. Could this be a small shred of evidence that the club want to continue to strive for an overall identity? The first team picture at the moment I feel we have definitely moved towards a functional type of football (except we haven't been picking up the points). Potentially because we do not have the type of player required to play this style in certain positions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Very good article mate.

Also very interesting to see the youth team (U-23's in this case) are still persisting with Woodgate's preferred style of football as mentioned at the start of the season. Could this be a small shred of evidence that the club want to continue to strive for an overall identity? The first team picture at the moment I feel we have definitely moved towards a functional type of football (except we haven't been picking up the points). Potentially because we do not have the type of player required to play this style in certain positions.

I think that you might be on to something there Dan. I also thought that we may be trying to grow the identity through the youth set up and are playing functional football in order to stay in the championship with the players we currently have on contract. When the vast majority are out of contract it should be interesting to see what happens with incomings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blanco said:

I think that you might be on to something there Dan. I also thought that we may be trying to grow the identity through the youth set up and are playing functional football in order to stay in the championship with the players we currently have on contract. When the vast majority are out of contract it should be interesting to see what happens with incomings.

Yeah I agree with this. Set the U-23 team up how we want to play long term to look at potential players who suit that system. That should give a better indication who might be ready for the step into the 1st team when we want to revert back to playing how we intended. Also gives them a better idea on key areas we are limited in to strengthen what's missing from both the 1st team and youth teams. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pffft, don't come on here with sensible suggestions, you know we don't like them!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, inside two games, Woodgate was able to determine that the current first team squad couldn't play that way and changed to more functional football, which has also been largely unsuccessful, but we just kept playing it anyway?  Once this season is done with and we've lost a number of these first team players, we will then change back to this other way of playing, with a squad made up of lots of new signings, some of the younger lads and whoever is left over in the current first team squad?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Latest Posts

    • Has to be better than Gestede up front
    • We have an official Fifa Esports player now! he's currently guided us into the last 8 of the Ultimate Quaran Team tournament being run.   He has beaten Huddersfield, Walsall, Central Coast Mariners & VVV Venlo so far.
    • The Irish health department released this graph today showing the effects of social distancing and lockdown. It's interesting as (if accurate, and I have no reason to think otherwise) Ireland should be looking at about 15000 cases today but we are currently just shy of 3000 cases. Looks like we are flattening the curve here before we've hit critical saturation of the hospitals.       
    • A new study by from Imperial College London estimates that up to 2.7% of the UK population may have been infected so far - that's about 1.8m people if it's correct.  It's a statistical model though so you have to keep that in mind.  Also says that between 20,000 and 120,000 lives might have been saved across the 11 European countries they were looking at thanks to the measures put in place so far 👍
    • A quick addition to this interesting question, probably for the older supporters in part 1, but everyone who has travelled to support in part 2. part 1 when answering the original question I found that our time at the Riverside has been filled with great goals but when thinking about it I found that the goals that made me most exhilarated and hyper in my celebrations nearly all came at Ayresome Park, now I’m old enough to have been an active supporter over the 2 grounds but I do believe the sheer joy and communal togetherness of a Boro goal at Ayresome beats that at the Riverside. part 2 I also chose a goal scored away from home too, and I was wondering if anyone felt that goals scored at home or away brought out different feelings of joy and excitement. For me, I’ve been on many a thankless away trip but there is something genuinely special when you score away from home, whether it be a Bernie Tap in or a Karambeu missile like he did at Valley Parade, there all special but an away goal is like a good pint that comes with a chaser imo. You can never count on them but when they come everyone of them is welcome.
×
×
  • Create New...