oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton 1-0 (Saville)

Match-day Thread - Middlesbrough V's Charlton

204933238_BoroVCharltonMatchdaythread-page0001(2).thumb.jpg.70455b488033a8f2822a89aff0503f79.jpg

This is my 2nd match-day thread and I currently hold a 100% win record after we got a win against Reading. Let's hope for a bit more luck 😉

View from the other side:

Into The Valley - http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/24300/middlesborough-charlton-match-thread-reaction 

General Charlton - https://forum.charltonlife.com/categories/general-charlton  (Match-day thread not started yet) 

Questions:

1) Match Result?

2) Should Clayton be starting more games with our current injury crisis?

3) Was it a mistake to sell downing after he makes the Championship team of the Month? 

4) Do any of the U-23 team step-up after winning against Palace 5-1 midweek?

• Like 8
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Match-day Thread - Middlesbrough V's Charlton   This is my 2nd match-day thread and I currently hold a 100% win record after we got a win against Reading. Let's hope for a bit more luc

i mean if u look at our form i think we have turned a corner some what. 1 defeat in 5 and it was away to top of the league leeds.  weve won 2 games after no win in 10 , were scoring goals and were now

Isn't it great that we can not only talk about a Boro win, but a convincing win that should have resulted in a far bigger margin, well done Boro You do make a difference to our weekend when you p

Posted Images

1) Match Result?

2-0 Middlesbrough if Assombalonga is fit, 0-0 if he's not.

Yes, and I expect he will on Saturday. Had no idea McNair was banned, goes from bad to worse.

3) Was it a mistake to sell downing after he makes the Championship team of the Month? 

I think he should have ended his career here, the club have only themselves to blame for this financial meltdown.

4) Do any of the U-23 team step-up after winning against Palace 5-1 midweek?

I think we'll see them sat on the bench, but they'll only make an appearance if we're losing.

• Like 1

Regarding Downing, last season had 2 goals and 1 assist for us.  I'm comfortable not playing £35k per week for that kind of production.  We didn't actually sell him though, his contract was up.

This season he has done better in fairness to him with 1 goal and 4 assists although I think he's playing as a left back for Blackburn?  He'll obviously be on much less money at Blackburn you'd think so there's obviously a reason beyond finances why we decided not to keep him on or he decided to leave.  I thought he'd end up in a player coach role here but obviously it didn't pan out like that.  It wouldn't be a massive surprise if he is back here soon though.

Clayton I guess will be in with a few others missing.  A bigger question might be what formation we will play and who will play in the right hand side central defensive position and the right wing back role if we stick with 3-5-2.  Howson can't play them both.  Maybe you'll see one of the younger defenders in.

No idea about the score, it's certainly a game we can win but lots of them have been and we haven't managed it most of the time.

• Like 2

1) Match Result? A dour 0-0 draw, and last place on whatever Quest's crap coverage is called. Worst thing about being in the Championship for me - I really miss BBC's football league show.

2) Should Clayton be starting more games with our current injury crisis? Given the fact we'd be playing the tea lady if he didn't (how shocking is that injury list, BTW), we have to.  

3) Was it a mistake to sell downing after he makes the Championship team of the Month? No. He never really performed for us when he came back, and he was a passenger in many games. His contribution was shocking for a player of his ability and pedigree.

4) Do any of the U-23 team step-up after winning against Palace 5-1 midweek? No. Let them build some confidence in their abilities, rather than having it knocked it out of them in the first team.

I wonder if Neil Warnock will be watching the game...

• Like 2

The bench on Saturday is surely going to be our youngest in a long, long time. Scary lack of experience with all the injuries.

Only Meijas is going to be old, assuming Clayton and Saville start as you'd expect. 

Not even got the players for 5 at the back unless Wood plays or Clayton attempts it as a CB.

Nice thread FB! Liking the newspaper style.

1) Match Result?

I'm thinking this will be much like the Barnsley game. Going with a nervy 1-0 win.

Probably. Anything that would help give us more control in midfield.

Undoubtedly one of our more gifted players. Unfortunately like most he was also very inconsistent. Plus the club probably needed the money.

Would expect to see a few on the bench. Hopefully can come on to get a bit of experience and help us see out the game in the last 15-20 minutes.

23 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

1) Match Result? A dour 0-0 draw, and last place on whatever Quest's crap coverage is called. Worst thing about being in the Championship for me - I really miss BBC's football league show.

2) Should Clayton be starting more games with our current injury crisis? Given the fact we'd be playing the tea lady if he didn't (how shocking is that injury list, BTW), we have to.  

3) Was it a mistake to sell downing after he makes the Championship team of the Month? No. He never really performed for us when he came back, and he was a passenger in many games. His contribution was shocking for a player of his ability and pedigree.

4) Do any of the U-23 team step-up after winning against Palace 5-1 midweek? No. Let them build some confidence in their abilities, rather than having it knocked it out of them in the first team.

I wonder if Neil Warnock will be watching the game...

Good points, agree with what you posted

• Like 1
On 12/4/2019 at 2:06 PM, FamilyBoro said:

Match-day Thread - Middlesbrough V's Charlton

204933238_BoroVCharltonMatchdaythread-page0001(2).thumb.jpg.70455b488033a8f2822a89aff0503f79.jpg

This is my 2nd match-day thread and I currently hold a 100% win record after we got a win against Reading. Let's hope for a bit more luck 😉

View from the other side:

Into The Valley - http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/24300/middlesborough-charlton-match-thread-reaction 

General Charlton - https://forum.charltonlife.com/categories/general-charlton  (Match-day thread not started yet) 

Questions:

1) Match Result?

1) Match Result? - I think we will win this one purely because they have a worse injury situation than us atm. If we don't beat these on Saturday then that will be shocking imo.

2) Should Clayton be starting more games with our current injury crisis? No - he's been awful this season, but with McNair out suspended and Howson having to play right back I think he will start on Saturday.

3) Was it a mistake to sell downing after he makes the Championship team of the Month? - We couldn't afford to keep him.

4) Do any of the U-23 team step-up after winning against Palace 5-1 midweek? - I thought Liddle did well when he came on, showed some passion. Had a great game by all accounts midweek so I'd play him ahead of Clayton tbh.

The interest in this game is underwhelming to say the least.

With the run of away games coming up this has to fall into a must win category surely?

Never have I been so unsure of a Boro result nor just what team we will put out.

Still Charlton are not all that at the moment so a home win for me.

1) Scrape a win. 1-0.

2) Don't think we have much choice.

3) Didn't really have a choice. Rumor is we are washing the kit's on a rock in the Tees. So no chance we could have afforded Downing's salary.

4) And finally, wait for it............................. Do we have a choice? 🤣🤣