• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Match-day Thread - Middlesbrough V's Charlton   This is my 2nd match-day thread and I currently hold a 100% win record after we got a win against Reading. Let's hope for a bit more luc

i mean if u look at our form i think we have turned a corner some what. 1 defeat in 5 and it was away to top of the league leeds.  weve won 2 games after no win in 10 , were scoring goals and were now

Isn't it great that we can not only talk about a Boro win, but a convincing win that should have resulted in a far bigger margin, well done Boro You do make a difference to our weekend when you p

Posted Images

What a big win that was for everyone, well, except for Charlton.  Fully deserved three points and a performance that was actually pretty decent.  I thought we were much better overall today than against Barnsley for example.  Just a shame we couldn't add another goal or two to give us a more deserved scoreline.

Now, I'm too old to have a favourite player and all of that stuff.  However, my new favourite player is DJ Ed Spence.  When he's not marauding down the right flank, he's spinning discs and dropping some big ass tunes for everyone.  The kid is a force of nature and I expect to see him really go places - The England team, a stint in Ibiza, you name it, he can have it all!

Seriously though, he was good today as was Coulson.  Having some pace and drive in the team gives us a better shot of winning a few games.  Having a few more players with a more aggressive attacking outlook does the same.  As one nil wins go, it was one of the more comfortable that I've seen.  I wouldn't say we were completely dominant but then I also didn't feel they would score at any point.  One slight criticism would be that the three in midfield have got to understand that they need to cover the two wing backs, same goes for the three central defenders.  With 6 players in that lot we should have at least one spare man most of the time and they need to get that sorted between them all.  But it's a minor concern and I don't think we were exposed all that much today.

I don't know if there's any news about injuries etc.  Assombalonga didn't look great when he went off, which is a pain in the ***, and I've no idea where Wing was so I'm guessing he is also injured?  I think we get a couple back from suspension though so at least we'll have a couple more available.

Nothing I've seen from the youngsters so far has left me feeling anything but optimistic.  It's easy to see when they've hardly played but they look decent and I'd be willing to see them given more time rather than rush to sign these more experienced players that we apparently need.

• Like 5

Let's just get a bit of perspective. Once again we SCRAPED a home win by one goal. Charlton were there for the taking. The stats speak for themselves - 23 shots on goal, 3 on target, Charlton 5 shots on goal, 2 on target. OK, we did not concede - finally - but it was far, far away from a convincing win.

• Angry 1
4 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

Let's just get a bit of perspective. Once again we SCRAPED a home win by one goal. Charlton were there for the taking. The stats speak for themselves - 23 shots on goal, 3 on target, Charlton 5 shots on goal, 2 on target. OK, we did not concede - finally - but it was far, far away from a convincing win.

Did you watch it? It was incredibly convincing. Our problem continues to be we can't hit a barn door, but we didn't look in danger of losing the lead literally at any point. Pears had to make like, one semi decent save otherwise he was mostly a passenger.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Did you watch it? It was incredibly convincing. Our problem continues to be we can't hit a barn door, but we didn't look in danger of losing the lead literally at any point. Pears had to make like, one semi decent save otherwise he was mostly a passenger.

I didn't watch it, because I couldn't watch it, but the scoreline says it all. All three parts of the team have to function as one - defence, midfield and strikers. Goal difference can be crucial and we should have capitalized, but we didn't. The positive is that we controlled the game, the negative is that we didn't convert our chances, and Woody now has a lifeline.

• Sad 1
48 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

I didn't watch it, because I couldn't watch it, but the scoreline says it all. All three parts of the team have to function as one - defence, midfield and strikers. Goal difference can be crucial and we should have capitalized, but we didn't. The positive is that we controlled the game, the negative is that we didn't convert our chances, and Woody now has a lifeline.

If you want to play stats, then may be worth pointing out that Charlton had no shots at all in the first half.   

The scoreline doesn't "say it all" after our genuinely terrible, disjointed performances - this wasn't glorious, but it at least looked competent, with players in position and with a number of decent chances to score.  Yes, Tav missed two sitters, Walker should have passed rather than shot, but we made those chances.  It was wildly different to some of the dross we've seen recently.

But it's only Charlton.  Lets see what happens at Forest.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

As CT put it, one of the most convincing 1-0 wins I've ever seen. We had plenty of low scoring wins under AK which were just as convincing albeit in other ways, when we used to let teams come at us and have a go and beat off literally everything. You don't need to score bags of goals to have a convincing win.

14 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I missed the game today, due to being a rugby since 1pm. How did Spence get on a right-back?

Wasn't at the game, but from bbc tees and fan reports sounds like he was one of the best on the pitch. Sounds like he had a cracking game. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, BillinghamBoro said:

Wasn't at the game, but from bbc tees and fan reports sounds like he was one of the best on the pitch. Sounds like he had a cracking game. 

He did, he was bombing forward and beating his man, when he made mistakes and lost the ball he would get back in the tackle quick to win it back.

Still got a bit to learn defensively but was refreshing to see some one performing like that. His passing and crossing was very good too.

• Like 1