oneBoro Forum
FamilyBoro

Boro V Nottingham Forest (A) 1-1 (McNair pen)

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

I didn't notice anyone on here suggesting we should have been attacking for 90 minutes, maybe some people just wanted a bit more balance between attack and defense. 

It was a good point away from home, we looked decent in the last 20 minutes and I thought we actually defended well before that as well. I'm not going to pretend that we looked anything other than a Pulis team last night though.

I'll accept Pulis style football for now because we are lacking players and points are vital, but at some point there needs to be a slight transition in style. 

I don't accept it.  We actually look ok when we don't play like that yet here we are again where people have talked themselves into this idea that we must play like this.  Playing like this has gotten us to where we are now.  Playing attacking football hasn't because we've barely bloody done it all season long yet people are terrified of it because we'll probably get 'trounced'.  It's not based on anything at all but somehow the idea has cemented itself among fans.  We'll be a better team when we aren't sitting back and trying to defend our way through games all of the time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't accept it.  We actually look ok when we don't play like that yet here we are again where people have talked themselves into this idea that we must play like this.  Playing like this has gotten us to where we are now.  Playing attacking football hasn't because we've barely bloody done it all season long yet people are terrified of it because we'll probably get 'trounced'.  It's not based on anything at all but somehow the idea has cemented itself among fans.  We'll be a better team when we aren't sitting back and trying to defend our way through games all of the time.

We havent played attacking football since we were relegated (not that we did before) and we have only gone backwards to the point where we are in a relegation battle and supposedly in dire straits financially with only a few sellable assets. So no, I'm not going to accept it either.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I've got no faith in Woodgate having the coaching ability or tactical nouse to be able to find a balance between attack and defence.

I'm basically resigned to the fact that the best he's capable off is parking the bus (away from home anyway). 

Well damn, that was a point I wasn't expecting.

Didn't see or listen to the game, but reading the BBC's match report, sounds like it was a pretty dour affair.

According to the stats, Forest had way more possession & corners, but both sides had exactly the same number of shots at goal & on target.

In any case, that could end up being a valuable point and given I was expecting us to be soundly spanked, I can only say "well done lads".

With that result, our last 6 games read: W2 D3 L1

Is it too early to say we've turned the corner...or a corner, at least?

• Like 3

I only managed to listen until just before they scored and up until that point at least it did sound dreadful.

We didn’t seem to be doing much of anything and forest fans were booing their players for ‘sideways and backwards’ passing.

That said it is a good point away at forest coming from behind.

Given how poor our outcome usually is at Forest, then a point with this team is a wonderful thing! 

Imagine supporting Forest and watch that game .. You would feel robbed, but still think it was deserved, cause Forest let Boro attack, when they got the 1-0 lead ...  Does this sound familiar? 😄 

Good point! 

My two pence worth

that was a game that proves you get what you deserve if you try to sit back, contain (or whatever you want to call it) when you don’t have the speed or flair to break effectively when one of your limited chances arises. We did it for a hour (by the skin of our teeth) and ultimately conceded. Forest tried it for half a hour and got what they deserved. Horrible to watch if it’s your team that’s defending and it paints a incorrect picture if it’s your team that’s attacking, as you look much better than you actually are. I hope JW takes this into account for Saturday 

• Like 3

We sat back, conceded chances not goals but frustrated Forest and got their fans annoyed,luckily didnt concede then came out and salvaged an unlikely draw....sounds like how lots of teams have come to the Riverside over the years. 

We started praying for points no matter how we played, now people are complaing that we got a point but didnt set up and play very well....

Just look at our team:

Gk - inexperienced

Lwb - inexperienced

Cb - solid champ defender

Cb - solid champ CM

Cb - promising, couple of seasons deep

Rwb - 2nd first team game?

Cm - solid champ cm

Cm - solid champ cm, argueably losing his legs

Cm - 'future captain'😶

Cm - inexperienced

St - couple of seasons around champ

Bench - Marv, Mejias and a couple of competition winners from Kings Manor

We are chopping and changing style and personel on a weekly basis so inconsistent performances should be expected. Woody put out what he though was the best team, and to be fair he changed shaped (maybe not tactic) at HT so to say he accepted the first half is harsh. Everyone can see we cant defend, but I do kinda understand just trying to shut Forest out. 

I wasnt born in 86, but when people go on about it you hear of the team of local lads everyone got behind. Our mash up squad just got a point away to Forest...fine by me.

• Like 7