• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, it might benefit us a few seasons ahead... If we manage to steady the ship and ride the storm before others.  We are all aboard, so we might as well enjoy the ride. At least it's more "exciti

"Sharpe, who took over Wigan from grandfather Dave Whelan in 2015, said the family were putting in "nearly £1m a month just to keep it going" despite having the fourth-lowest wage bill in the Champion

Better to be quiet and thought an idiot than to open your mouth and leave no doubt, I suspect that's one of his main reasons behind keeping his gob shut.

Lets hope no club collapses but it's clear that you can't just keep making gambles. Boro have made stupid gambles over the last two years and we are now suffering because of it. You need a clear strategy and competent people in charge to ensure that you can keep going for years without promotion. There will definately be plenty of clubs cutting down on spending like we have. 

• Like 1

"Sharpe, who took over Wigan from grandfather Dave Whelan in 2015, said the family were putting in "nearly £1m a month just to keep it going" despite having the fourth-lowest wage bill in the Championship".

Sounds VERY familiar, doesn't it? 

Not that I'd wish that kind of jeopardy or hardship on another club, its at least comforting knowing its not just Boro who are suffering.

I think most fans would agree football has just reached insane levels of financial mismanagement...and been able to get away with it, thanks to Sky and billionaire owners.

While the bubble will probably never burst for the top PL teams (the ones that can regularly challenge for the CL and domestic trophies), the rest are in for a nasty shock, sooner rather than later, I feel.

Really puts Steve Gibson's actions into context. I guess he's had a look into his own crystal ball, got one helluva fright at what he saw and decided some short term pain was necessary, to secure the club's long-term future.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

"Sharpe, who took over Wigan from grandfather Dave Whelan in 2015, said the family were putting in "nearly £1m a month just to keep it going" despite having the fourth-lowest wage bill in the Championship".

Sounds VERY familiar, doesn't it? 

Not that I'd wish that kind of jeopardy or hardship on another club, its at least comforting knowing its not just Boro who are suffering.

I think most fans would agree football has just reached insane levels of financial mismanagement...and been able to get away with it, thanks to Sky and billionaire owners.

While the bubble will probably never burst for the top PL teams (the ones that can regularly challenge for the CL and domestic trophies), the rest are in for a nasty shock, sooner rather than later, I feel.

Really puts Steve Gibson's actions into context. I guess he's had a look into his own crystal ball, got one helluva fright at what he saw and decided some short term pain was necessary, to secure the club's long-term future.

Yeah, it might benefit us a few seasons ahead... If we manage to steady the ship and ride the storm before others. 

We are all aboard, so we might as well enjoy the ride. At least it's more "exciting" this season, with something to fight for, than being 100 % sure to finish between 10th and 15th ... 

I think we will survive ofc and then the actual rebuild starts. 
A lot of clubs will have to do the same sooner or later and I am actually glad we do it now, instead of being dead and "BURYed" in the future. 

Maybe Gibson has a better vision of the future, than what he gets credit for. Maybe we are just spoiled kids, who no longer get what we point our fingers at... 

Edited by SmogDane
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

Maybe Gibson has a better vision of the future, than what he gets credit for. Maybe we are just spoiled kids, who no longer get what we point our fingers at... 

If he does he should come out and say it instead of the deafening silence that’s souring the relationship between the club and fans. If he just put the record straight and told it how it is then I guess he would get a lot of sympathy for the cause. Instead we are fed stupid contradictory lines like the stuff in the summer. I don’t know if he genuinely thinks the fan base is stupid or gullible or if he just doesn’t care. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Oh aye, it's just a shame that he only received this vision of the future after he committed huge sums of money out of the club.  But yeah, it's all part of some well constructed plan 🙄

• Haha 2

Let’s face it we all thought having Skye showing games was better than sliced bread until they bid ridiculous money on rights then put there fees up year after year prompting more ludicrous bids. In came the agents who promoted and sold average players for mind boggling millions and so the cycle repeats. The FA and it’s greed done nothing but fed itself on the cash carcass and sniffed the ring pieces of sponsorships. But it bluntly Skye and the FA killed football. 

If I had the cash I would be taking in any young player who wants a crack at being a millionaire and run camps in fitness and skill sets. Day in day out training and testing the wannabe to be cultured, faster, stronger and tempered to win. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Better to be quiet and thought an idiot than to open your mouth and leave no doubt, I suspect that's one of his main reasons behind keeping his gob shut.

But why would anyone think he's an idiot for just spelling out the club's situation? Especially when many of us can already guess.

He was only too happy to let everyone know we were shooting for promotion, with his "smash the league" statement. It obviously didn't pan out that way - but nothing's guaranteed in football. I don't think many fans would think less of him if he just came out and summarised the club's current status and his future plans. Even if it was just a page in a matchday programme or something.

12 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Let’s face it we all thought having Skye showing games was better than sliced bread until they bid ridiculous money on rights then put there fees up year after year prompting more ludicrous bids. In came the agents who promoted and sold average players for mind boggling millions and so the cycle repeats. The FA and it’s greed done nothing but fed itself on the cash carcass and sniffed the ring pieces of sponsorships. But it bluntly Skye and the FA killed football. 

If I had the cash I would be taking in any young player who wants a crack at being a millionaire and run camps in fitness and skill sets. Day in day out training and testing the wannabe to be cultured, faster, stronger and tempered to win. 

Totally agree. All that money did was to turn the PL into an ever-spiralling whirlwind of greed and excess...with most of it going into players' and agents' bank accounts and precious little going back into the lower leagues or grass-roots game, or used to make it more accessible to fans (lower ticket or subscription prices etc.).

Also encouraged clubs in the lower tiers to take ridiculous risks to reach the so-called Promised Land (or bounce straight back when they got relegated).

Dunno what the FA got out of it, but they don't appear to have done much, if anything, to ensure there are fit-for-purpose financial regulations in place in the EFL...never mind enforcing them.

22 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

But why would anyone think he's an idiot for just spelling out the club's situation? Especially when many of us can already guess.

He was only too happy to let everyone know we were shooting for promotion, with his "smash the league" statement. It obviously didn't pan out that way - but nothing's guaranteed in football. I don't think many fans would think less of him if he just came out and summarised the club's current status and his future plans. Even if it was just a page in a matchday programme or something.

If it at all shifted from the summer, of course they would shaft him for it. If it hasn't, then he needn't say anything.

Regardless of that it’s not difficult to see where so many clubs go wrong especially ours. Signing older players on huge contracts who have little sell on value will always come back to haunt you no matter how much money you are willing to put in. 

Add that with constantly changing managers on big money who want their own squad, and the club is only going one way. 

No excuses for Gibson at all, he’s been in football long enough to know how to do things properly, and the club is seriously paying for his mistakes

Out of curiosity, which old players did we sign that would have no sell on value (aside from a 6month deal for mikel)? I'm not saying our transfer policy has been good, but I dont think this is really a criticism that we can level at the club. Weve just been signing players who have turned out to be rubbish so weve struggled to sell them. That's a different thing altogether. 

29 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Out of curiosity, which old players did we sign that would have no sell on value (aside from a 6month deal for mikel)? I'm not saying our transfer policy has been good, but I dont think this is really a criticism that we can level at the club. Weve just been signing players who have turned out to be rubbish so weve struggled to sell them. That's a different thing altogether. 

Flint, Shotton, Howson, Gestede, Guedioura, Downing off the top of my head, all players who are at the wrong age, on big contracts and the club will never get their money back for them.

Saville and Fletcher two others where they are at the right age but it should be obvious to anyone involved in football they aren't worth that much and we will make a loss on them.