oneBoro Forum

Intresting read.

3 minutes ago, jamesp said:

Flint, Shotton, Howson, Gestede, Guedioura, Downing off the top of my head, all players who are at the wrong age, on big contracts and the club will never get their money back for them.

Saville and Fletcher two others where they are at the right age but it should be obvious to anyone involved in football they aren't worth that much and we will make a loss on them.

Flint, Howson and Gestede were in their primes when we bought them. You have to have players in their prime. Apart from Howson they just weren't very good buys. I'll give you Downing, Guedioura and Shotton regarding age though.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, it might benefit us a few seasons ahead... If we manage to steady the ship and ride the storm before others.  We are all aboard, so we might as well enjoy the ride. At least it's more "exciti

"Sharpe, who took over Wigan from grandfather Dave Whelan in 2015, said the family were putting in "nearly £1m a month just to keep it going" despite having the fourth-lowest wage bill in the Champion

Better to be quiet and thought an idiot than to open your mouth and leave no doubt, I suspect that's one of his main reasons behind keeping his gob shut.

5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

But why would anyone think he's an idiot for just spelling out the club's situation? Especially when many of us can already guess.

He was only too happy to let everyone know we were shooting for promotion, with his "smash the league" statement. It obviously didn't pan out that way - but nothing's guaranteed in football. I don't think many fans would think less of him if he just came out and summarised the club's current status and his future plans. Even if it was just a page in a matchday programme or something.

It's all about this .. Some people (a lot actually) have a really hard time to admit, when they have done something wrong. They tend to silence instead. 

If he said publically, that he spent wrong and the last few years have been a disaster, more people would judge, he fears .. So he shuts up .. Keeping up appearances...

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Flint, Howson and Gestede were in their primes when we bought them. You have to have players in their prime. Apart from Howson they just weren't very good buys. I'll give you Downing, Guedioura and Shotton regarding age though.

Just turn that sentence around in your head a few times.  It's a scary thought that we saw them in their 'prime'.

4 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

It's all about this .. Some people (a lot actually) have a really hard time to admit, when they have done something wrong. They tend to silence instead. 

If he said publically, that he spent wrong and the last few years have been a disaster, more people would judge, he fears .. So he shuts up .. Keeping up appearances...

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Just turn that sentence around in your head a few times.  It's a scary thought that we saw them in their 'prime'.

Well they weren't good but James said we buy players at the wrong age. I was merely pointing out that they were in their primes age wise.

Just now, Borodane said:

Well they weren't good but James said we buy players at the wrong age. I was merely pointing out that they were in their primes age wise.

True
Flint just look old ..  😄 When I first saw him, I thought he was like 35 😛

6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Oh yeah, I know that.  I'm just saying, that's them at their prime 🤨

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Urrghh, what a liar you are.  Please don't pretend that you're as cool as me 😎

But Sir, I would never degrade myself to that pathetic level, you know 😉

5 hours ago, Borodane said:

Downing and guerdiura were 31 when they joined, shotton was 28. Out of those downing was in good form in the premier league dropping down a division and shotton was for a pretty low fee.

I'd say the only one that was really a dumb transfer for a player who had no resale value and no real value on the pitch was guerdioura. One in how many years is hardly a big concern.

Like i said, our problem has been the quality weve brought in as well as what weve actually managed to get out of them (not in all cases the players fault), not the age profile of the players.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:29 PM, SmogDane said:

Maybe Gibson has a better vision of the future, than what he gets credit for. Maybe we are just spoiled kids, who no longer get what we point our fingers at... 

Possibly. Or maybe we are just a bunch of fans of a very mediocre club that would like to see us at playing professional football as opposed to the Sunday league stuff that is being dished up on a far too regular basis.

• Like 2
On 12/15/2019 at 8:22 AM, BoroAbroad said:

Possibly. Or maybe we are just a bunch of fans of a very mediocre club that would like to see us at playing professional football as opposed to the Sunday league stuff that is being dished up on a far too regular basis.

Agree with this, we have had to sit and watch similarly resources clubs to us far out perform us on and off the pitch. Revamping how they work to a more modern approach and in some cases doing it in the premier league.

Meanwhile we do the same old stuff, buying rubbish players for inflated fees, 3 times spouting about how we’re making sweeping changes behind the scenes yet the same people are there making the decisions.