oneBoro Forum

Boro V Sheffield Wednesday

Recent results were fortunate rather than won a trend that won’t last until the end of season. Although I say this I wish to be proven wrong. I also question that should a miracle unfold are Boro capable of winning the play offs.

In the last week I’ve endured a lot from friends and supporters of Newcastle and trust me they are numerous and difficult to avoid right now. Dubai is a small city. To all Newcastle fans I congratulate your success and hell I do feel some envy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Dancer I am not to pleased with you at this moment in time.

I was ready to pay you good money to grab our lass last week at the airport and put a smacker on her.

She's on her way home and will be here in half an hour.

WTF went wrong all you had to do was kiss her and run leaving her to get imprisoned for another month or two.

Jeeesse if you can't trust yer mates ,who the fuk can you trust.

Not wanting to project doom and gloom just trying to be factual. I want boro to pull off the impossible but I don`t see that happening with the state of play. I hope to be proven wrong. Living the dream.

Sgt thought about the task in hand but not receiving information about your lass and her physical attributes thought I would give it a miss. I spent time (more than a few) in the governments abode and vouch its a horrible place to be. I agree that's the way it should be, its a shame the UK dos`t do the same. Trust the wife had a good time.

Good to see you posting again Sanddancer.I cant see us making the playoffs but while there is a slight chance then I will still keep on dreaming.

Yes good to see your posts again SD and like VB I cant really see it either though if we did beat WBA and either Swansea or Leicester lose then like The Monkees song "Im a believer". Our luck is that one will get a draw just to tease us!!!

I know this is the championship but that doesn't mean entertaining football has to be ruled out. I think we were entertained the last time we were here; and the time before. I was a season ticket holder when Big Jack was in charge and despite some of the criticism from certain areas; I think his team always entertained despite being miserly at the back. By the way; a season ticket then cost me the princely sum of £37 per season for the stand above the tunnel near to the directors and press seats. Just to put that into perspective by the time I started work as an apprentice gas service engineer my season ticket was still around £37 per year in 1976; and my first weeks wage I picked up £23.00 after tax etc. The qualified gas fitters at the time were picking up around £150 per week inc full bonus without over time but after tax etc. I suppose if you say it was 1/4 of your weeks pay to buy a season ticket then. I think gas fitters pick up around £500 to £600 per week now depending who you work for and say the cheapest season card is around £375 or near enough. In those terms the price has more than doubled compared to earnings but then I bought my first house in 1979 for £12650. I was 19 then; almost 20. The same house is now £145,000. My point is I want value for money.

I know at this moment while there is a very slim chance we could make the playoffs it doesnt really matter so long as we get the points but I would like to believe that next season we may see at least a little bit of entertaining football. It is possible to win matches without a team full of hoofers and kickers.

Interesting point Legend, and one that I think Strachan agrees with. He stated recently that he wants to entertain the Boro fans and to do that he needs to find players who are comfortable on the ball and who can pass it well. I think we all realise that we have few inventive midfielders and that is going to be an area we need to concentrate on in the summer.

But it does highlight one of the things that drives me crazy - how many players are out there who can't even pass 10 yards accurated, nevermind 100 yards. You also need movement for this, and we need to get some mobile midfielders in.

I've been impressed with McDonald and the way he links up with other players, along with his movement and the fact that he is confident enough to have a go.

Put a couple of good quality wingers into the mix and perhaps another good central midfielder and we may just have that extra ability to control games more, score more goals, and play some entertaining football.

I think we'll fall just short this season, although I feel it would be beneficial to go up now, but next season will hold a lot more promise with some new signings, a clear out of the has-beens, and a pre-season build up ready to push for that top spot.

While our performances haven't been great we have got the results which is typical because we were putting a lot better performances on previously and kept getting draws. We certainly deserve a bit of luck after all the hard work that's going on.

I can't agree about Arca however. Rocky left a long time ago, if we are agreeing Arca has been out of form since then then that's an awfully long time for a footballer on PL wages to continue to put in consistently poor performances. He was found wanting on numerous occasions at left back. He is weak, has no pace and concedes too many fouls. At least if he is in midfield when he loses the ball we still have the defence to recover it, if he's at left back then most teams with a right winger who isn't glacially slow will roast him 9/10.

I appreciate I just may not be seeing what Arca has to offer as Strachan and Southgate both played him, but for me he doesn't add anything to the team and we are better off playing a youngster instead.

I hope we offload him in the summer, as he does not represent value for money and we can free up the wages for someone more effective.

Interesting point Legend, and one that I think Strachan agrees with. He stated recently that he wants to entertain the Boro fans and to do that he needs to find players who are comfortable on the ball and who can pass it well. I think we all realise that we have few inventive midfielders and that is going to be an area we need to concentrate on in the summer.

But it does highlight one of the things that drives me crazy - how many players are out there who can't even pass 10 yards accurated, nevermind 100 yards. You also need movement for this, and we need to get some mobile midfielders in.

I've been impressed with McDonald and the way he links up with other players, along with his movement and the fact that he is confident enough to have a go.

Put a couple of good quality wingers into the mix and perhaps another good central midfielder and we may just have that extra ability to control games more, score more goals, and play some entertaining football.

I think we'll fall just short this season, although I feel it would be beneficial to go up now, but next season will hold a lot more promise with some new signings, a clear out of the has-beens, and a pre-season build up ready to push for that top spot.

well strachan can say he wants to entertain but thats bull*** lol His teams has never entertained, why should he start now? He could be honest intead and say it like Steve put it "I am not here to entertain" I think his results spoke for him :)

well strachan can say he wants to entertain but thats bull*** lol His teams has never entertained, why should he start now? He could be honest intead and say it like Steve put it "I am not here to entertain" I think his results spoke for him :)

i think to be fair to Strachan he has never managed a team in need of flair/ entertaining football- they have always had to put a shift in. Strachan himself was a very entertaining player, one of the best British players of his generation, if not ever. I think he knows what entertaining football is at least, but i think he also knows when its valid for a team to adopt that approach.

Agreed even a team full of superstars fails to entertain at times and I have to say that without Rooney even Man Utd are failing to entertain recently. Results are what matters and the satisfaction of winning a game with an ugly 1-0 result makes my day!! Entertain can go to the pictures/theatre for that!