Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Erimus74

Boro v Swansea (A) 1-3 (Tavernier)

Recommended Posts

Pears is not a bad keeper, he's just not ready for the Championship.

Why on earth we're not playing Mejias instead I have no idea, the guy has PL experience FFS!

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamesp said:

From watching the highlights, the keeper is absolutely shocking once again. Any average keeper and we wouldn’t have conceded the second and third. Imagine what having someone that bad in goal is doing to the confidence of the defenders. 

 

If we sell Randolph and persist with him it will likely get us relegated

You can't judge any player on 1 game.

Pears actually made a good double save when Swansea were only ahead by the penalty. He's also made good saves in other recent games. Check the highlights of the Charlton & Burnley games.

But he's young, inexperienced and will make more mistakes than you'd expect from older players. Also, in fairness, its not like he's getting a lot of help from our defence.

 

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Pears is not a bad keeper, he's just not ready for the Championship.

Why on earth we're not playing Mejias instead I have no idea, the guy has PL experience FFS!

In as much as he played one game against Man United in the League Cup, and in the subsequent defeat to Everton.

Pears has already played more English league football than Meijas, and Meijas is 30.

There's a reason we started playing an aging Greek journeyman over a keeper we'd signed from Real Madrid, and it wasn't because Dimi was an outstanding keeper.

Plenty of time for Pears to develop his game, even if he's let in some questionable goals this season. Doesn't sound like West Ham will pay for Randolph from their fan writers, so he may well be here beyond January.

Edited by TeaCider24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Pears is not a bad keeper, he's just not ready for the Championship.

Why on earth we're not playing Mejias instead I have no idea, the guy has PL experience FFS!

Agree. He is still a bit green. But I think he's acquitted himself pretty decently, considering the circumstances.

I also can't understand why Mejias wasn't the default replacement for Randolph. Guess Woody doesn't like him for some reason.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

In as much as he played one game against Man United in the League Cup, and in the subsequent defeat to Everton.

Pears has already played more English league football than Meijas, and Meijas is 30.

There's a reason we started playing an aging Greek journeyman over a keeper we'd signed from Real Madrid, and it wasn't because Dimi was an outstanding keeper.

Plenty of time for Pears to develop his game, even if he's let in some questionable goals this season. Doesn't sound like West Ham will pay for Randolph from their fan writers, so he may well be here beyond January.

Mejias also played (and was a standout performer) in our 2-0 FA Cup win over Man City.

I just don't understand why we re-signed him and aren't using him. He's still a more experienced goalkeeper than Pears whichever way you look at it.

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Mejias also played (and was a standout performer) in our 2-0 FA Cup win over Man City.

I just don't understand why we re-signed him and aren't using him. He's still a more experienced goalkeeper than Pears whichever way you look at it.

I'm guessing Pears was performing much better in training, as I don't think it makes any sense if the club brought him back from Cyprus just to be 3rd choice, he was almost definitely meant to be 2nd choice behind Randolph at the start of the season.

Goalkeeping is the least of our worries on the pitch right now though. We cannot defend to save our lives.

Edited by TeaCider24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm guessing Pears was performing much better in training, as I don't think it make any sense if the club brought him back from Cyprus just to be 3rd choice, he was almost definitely meant to be 2nd choice behind Randolph at the start of the season.

To be fair I have heard that Mejias isn't that bothered about trying to force his way into the team and is happy to just train and pick up a paycheck. Not the sort of player we should have on our books really if you ask me. Just another example of the club wasting money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesp said:

From watching the highlights, the keeper is absolutely shocking once again. Any average keeper and we wouldn’t have conceded the second and third. Imagine what having someone that bad in goal is doing to the confidence of the defenders. 

I actually thought he was more at fault for the first goal. Should’ve pushed it out instead of straight back at Ayew. Cack defending in the build up too.

second goal looked poor but Ayew was afforded the freedom of the box and pretty much an open goal to smash it at. 

Third was one of those awkward ones where it’s right under you so you can’t get down quickly enough.

on the up side, lovely drilled finish from tavernier
 

Edited by HoyteForLeftBack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was pretty clear why Meijias and Leo were brought back to the club. I commented on it in the summer and a few on here didn't like to hear it. 

I actually feel sorry for Leo I think the club have used him and his love of the club as a PR stunt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It was pretty clear why Meijias and Leo were brought back to the club. I commented on it in the summer and a few on here didn't like to hear it. 

I actually feel sorry for Leo I think the club have used him and his love of the club as a PR stunt. 

Leo was obviously always that, but I'm not sure any fan held Meijas in particularly high regard and I'd be surprised if the club thought they did.

I saw mostly anger when we signed Meijas, because it was the last position we needed strengthening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm guessing Pears was performing much better in training, as I don't think it makes any sense if the club brought him back from Cyprus just to be 3rd choice, he was almost definitely meant to be 2nd choice behind Randolph at the start of the season.

Goalkeeping is the least of our worries on the pitch right now though. We cannot defend to save our lives.

I beg to differ TC a strong knowledgeable keeper behind a shaky defence can make the world of difference.

Pears is not ready, and has it as been said Meijias has far more experience and I reckon its only because Woodgate, Gibson or the groundsman who ever it is that picks the team these days are only picking him  because his old man was once our number one.

Thats why with all this talk about Gibson not having anymore brass to invest is such a silly state of affairs at present when you think of the wages he is wasting on players that can't get a game when the regulars are fit. Hell I reckon we would have to sell Randolph and sell Pears before Meijias comes into the reckoning for a run out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Mejias also played (and was a standout performer) in our 2-0 FA Cup win over Man City.

I just don't understand why we re-signed him and aren't using him. He's still a more experienced goalkeeper than Pears whichever way you look at it.

I heard something on the grapevine about Mejias but don't want to put it out in the open for obvious reasons. Be interesting to see about which player is taking legal action. Never heard anything about that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I put it out there but if anyone else knows the identity of the player please don't post it here, the case isn't public and is still ongoing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I know I put it out there but if anyone else knows the identity of the player please don't post it here, the case isn't public and is still ongoing!

It's not hard to guess is it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...