oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke 2-1 (Fletcher, Wing)

Just now, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

What does George Saville do? 

I think this is an important question. As I noticed a period in the game when we had possession where he (IMO) actively avoided responsibility or making himself an option (even rewinded it and played again to explain to my boy , very Gary Neville like) what a fricken coward of a footballer he is 

• Like 1
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The audio match day thread returns. Click the link below:   Click here for the Match Day Thread

I mentioned yesterday about Stoke diving a lot.   Here is the one that actually made me choke on my drink at the time.  

Think we've got a good player on our hands with Spence 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I think this is an important question. As I noticed a period in the game when we had possession where he (IMO) actively avoided responsibility or making himself an option (even rewinded it and played again to explain to my boy , very Gary Neville like) what a fricken coward of a footballer he is 

He is by far the worst footballer we have currently playing regular games for us. 

He can't seem to make a simple pass, multiple times tonight he actively got in the way of other players getting the ball, when he clears it he usually clears it straight to an opposition player (although to be fair to him, most of our team do this for some reason) and he over complicates things.

I think an absolute perfect image of what George Saville is is him coming down the RW with the ball, Spence haring up to overlap and instead of playing him in he cuts inside and is immediately dispossessed.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think we got a little lucky there.... Howson cleaned him out but Clucas played himself by acting like he'd shot in the back by a cannonball. 

I don't think there was much contact, and I maintain that. I don't personally think it was a penalty. Think the ref made a mistake in calling it a dive though.

Problem was, Stoke players were doing that all night, the second anyone breathed on them they would throw themselves to the ground. I wonder if the ref had started to pick up on that and it factored into the decision when Clucas went down so theatrically.

I think if that was a dive, Tavs at the other end was a dive. If that was a pen, Tavs at the other end was too, there was about as much impeding contact in both cases. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

What does George Saville do? 

What Saville does is make us look like we've only got 10 men on the pitch, he is one of the worst Boro signings for the money we paid, I'd take a loss and bin him in January awful player who offers nothing.

15 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He is by far the worst footballer we have currently playing regular games for us. 

He can't seem to make a simple pass, multiple times tonight he actively got in the way of other players getting the ball, when he clears it he usually clears it straight to an opposition player (although to be fair to him, most of our team do this for some reason) and he over complicates things.

I think an absolute perfect image of what George Saville is is him coming down the RW with the ball, Spence haring up to overlap and instead of playing him in he cuts inside and is immediately dispossessed.

I saw this too. Spence even realised  he was too close to make the pass worthwhile and put a 10yrd burst in, to create a angle or at least distance by which time Saville had fricken lost it 

• Like 2

Dire first half, but the second half was great. We really burst into life. Spence was decent again and rudy did well when he came on

Woodgates subs in the last few games seem to have worked fairly well at changing the game. Maybe there is some tactical nous in there somewhere! 

I was just saying before the game that Wing hadn't scored a screamer in ages. What a goal that was. It's been a while since I've jumped that high in celebration! 

• Like 2

What pisses me off the most with Woodgate is that he is absolutely gutless! Always reverting back to Pulis tactics, when he promised attacking football. When we attack teams we actually look like a very decent team. But for some reason, we begin games with the intention of getting men behind the ball, giving up possession and unwilling to take risks. 

Have the balls to start with Wing and Tav in centre midfield. They link up really well together and we look a much better team for it. 

Also, give Coulson and Spence the freedom to attack the opposition from the start, not just after we’ve conceded and no longer have anything to lose. 

Dont let the injuries fool you. We still have a very decent attacking team. Problem is that Woodgate has learnt his trade from Pulis and reverts back to Pulis tactics as soon as things get difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I gave Saville alot of slack because I figured there's something about him surely for what he cost and Aitor wanted him years ago but specifically this season besides 1-2 games he's been awful he chases around but the sprints aren't particularly springy, going forward he gets in the way of attacks or gets played in and scuffs a weak shot through he's unimpressive in his own half, useless in the middle half and saboteur in the final third we'll be lucky gettind rid of him for 2 million what an abysmal footballer he is.

Pears is looking more assured in our goal now I love his starting positioning he seems switched on every game I see his presence and confidence grow a little more, I know we'll need to replace Randolph when he goes but I'm not against seeing Pears for another 20 games that boys got one heck of a throw on him too.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

What pisses me off the most with Woodgate is that he is absolutely gutless! Always reverting back to Pulis tactics, when he promised attacking football. When we attack teams we actually look like a very decent team. But for some reason, we begin games with the intention of getting men behind the ball, giving up possession and unwilling to take risks. 

Have the balls to start with Wing and Tav in centre midfield. They link up really well together and we look a much better team for it. 

Also, give Coulson and Spence the freedom to attack the opposition from the start, not just after we’ve conceded and no longer have anything to lose. 

Dont let the injuries fool you. We still have a very decent attacking team. Problem is that Woodgate has learnt his trade from Pulis and reverts back to Pulis tactics as soon as things get difficult. 

What part of tonight's turnaround was "gutless" exactly?

Was it the part where his team came back from a goal down to win?

Was it the part where he brought on another striker and an attacking midfielder to try to mix things up?

Was it the part where the attacking midfielder he brought on scored and won the game for us?

I swear people are that desperate to be right about writing off woodgate the cant bring themselves to give him any credit at all. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Was it the part where he brought on another striker and an attacking midfielder to try to mix things up?

Was it the part where the attacking midfielder he brought on scored and won the game for us?

I swear people are that desperate to be right about writing off woodgate the cant bring themselves to give him any credit at all. 🙄

Obviously I don’t want to put words in JTs mouth but I believe he means gutless in his set up And early tactics.  In recent memory I seem to remember that our best performances happen after we stop trying to defend and start pushing forward 

He is unbelievably negative and we’re not good enough to defend for 90 mins. However when we concede (which we inevitably do) he forced to release the shackles and attack 

• Like 2

I didn't for once feel tonight that the lack of performance in the first half was down to Woodgate's tactics. There was one moment I picked out to sum up that first half and it was when Howson got his yellow card. Tav received the ball on the left, has Walker running towards the channel to play the ball into, that's the right pass to make. What happens instead? Tav pulls it back and thoughtlessly plays it into midfield where absolutely nobody is, nobody presses for the ball immediately so Howson gets dragged out of position to try and get a touch on it and gets booked for a late challenge. It was sloppy and thoughtless and absolutely nothing to do with how we set up tactically.

What happens in the second half when we scored? We start working the channels and playing the ball down there. Coulson and to a lesser extent Spence don't just trudge around to catch up with forward players, they press into their men and try to win it back. The way we set up didn't change a great deal. The players willingness to press did, they started winning battles, the intent changed, the passes started to find players as they had their heads up rather than just kicking the ball unknowingly. Soz but beyond a kick up the ***, I don't know what changed tactically to change our performance. Afraid the players need to take a significant amount of blame for that first half given what they showed after the goal.

As for Wing, he's been bang average most this season. He came on tonight and did make a difference and scored a very nice goal. It's also nothing like what we've seen of him recently and Clayton rightfully had his place in the team. Not at all concerned about him being on the bench at the start tonight, good on him for coming on and showing some fight to get his shirt back.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The way we set up didn't change a great deal. The players willingness to press did

Or alternatively, while it was 0-0 they weren't asked to press a great deal and were asked to play things safe.  At 1-0 down that goes out the window.  It's weird that these shifts in play only seem to happen after we go a goal down.  If it was a one off then yeah you could put it on the players but I'm certain it's down to the instructions they are being given.  Tonight, before Stoke took the lead, we were just so cautious and that was throughout the team.  Even players who clearly have an attacking mindset were holding back.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Smogzilla said:

Did you watch the first 60 minutes tonight?

Or the first 60 minutes against Swansea?

Or countless other games this season...

it’s very easy to throw on attacking players when you’re one behind and have nothing to lose. 

my question is, why not start like that, rather than beginning every game with a “let’s try not to lose” mentality?

• Like 1