• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The audio match day thread returns. Click the link below:   Click here for the Match Day Thread

I mentioned yesterday about Stoke diving a lot.   Here is the one that actually made me choke on my drink at the time.  

Think we've got a good player on our hands with Spence 

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, alexutb said:

Did you even watch the game? Gestede has been a woeful signing but you can't deny he did exactly what we signed him for when he came on. Won headers, held up the ball, won free kicks, was a nuisance for their defenders and allowed the midfield to press higher up. Stoke didn't have a sight of goal after Wingy's pearler and have to give Rudy credit where its due for that.

This! Rudy was much more effective than Walker was. If Britt isn’t fit for Hudds then Rudy should start. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Worst case scenario now is that we're 3 points above the relegation zone at Christmas 👍

Given we had people predicting we'd be adrift at the bottom by now, I'll take that happily.

Best case and we're 6 points above it, could do with Tony Mowbray doing Boro a favour against Wigan, Lancashire derby as well, and for Millwall to beat Barnsley.

• Like 1

The 1st half was a bore fest, going a goal down was the best thing that could have happened to us because it seemed to wake us up. and forced Woodgate's hand.I thought that apart from the goal the defense played well, Pears did nothing wrong, it was the midfield that was letting us down. Saville offers us nothing and Clayton 9 times out of 10 is looking to pass to Ayala or Fry rather than play a forward pass, however I'd play him ahead of Saville every time. Early doors for Walker but he looks a long way from being a 1st team player. I like the look of Spence and I  feel Coulson is improving every game. Its easy to see that Tav is the most skillful player in the squad but he can't do it on his own though he's having a bloody good go at it. I mentioned on an earlier match thread about Wing and Tav's shooting ability from outside the box, should be encouraged to keep doing that whenever the  opportunity arises.

We should have beaten Huddersfield away, never mind cautious, go for it from kick off, drop Saville play Wing, if Britts not fit then I'd play Gestede, because as stated above I don't think Walkers up to it yet.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Massive three points, and despite my criticisms, I don't think we're one of the three worst sides in the league.

Don't agree with everything you've put in there but a good write-up as ever. This point though is really worth hammering home though. I think last night we were up against a similar quality team also struggling as we are. I'd argue their quality is spread a bit further across the team and they have players with the ability to create a lot more, Joe Allen and Tom Ince in particular in the first half caused us endless problems. To come out of that game after whatever the first 60 minutes was meant to be, turning round a goal deficit to win the 3 points is massive for us. I don't think Stoke will go down either as I also don't think they're one of the three worst sides in the league which perhaps makes this win even bigger.

If everyone was fit, what’s our best team right now in everyone’s opinion?

In my opinion:

—————Randolph——————

——-Howson—Ayala—Fry———

Spence————————Coulson

———McNair-Wing-Tav————

————Fletcher-Britt—————

- obviously it looks like Randolph is gone, so that will be Pears. 
- Saville and Clayton should be nowhere near our team

- I debated putting Howson in midfield but I would rather Howson in defence instead of either Shotton or Friend. 

7 hours ago, Stevoboro said:

Did he even win a header ? Poorest excuse for a footballer I recall ever seeing. 

He won like at least 90% of his headers, from recollection. But the biggest difference between him and Walker yesterday was Walker never had a bloody chance to do anything, he worked his *** off and got bugger all in return from his team-mates. When the pass was on for him, nobody played it. I'd still put him in ahead of Gestede for Huddersfield but Gestede did his bit yesterday.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

In my opinion:

—————Randolph——————

——-Howson—Ayala—Fry———

Spence————————Coulson

———McNair-Wing-Tav————

————Fletcher-Britt—————

- I debated putting Howson in midfield but I would rather Howson in defence instead of either Shotton or Friend. 

How on earth is Fry still in anyone's best 11? I'd have George, McNair, Shotton and Howson in-front of him at this point.

11 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

How on earth is Fry still in anyone's best 11? I'd have George, McNair, Shotton and Howson in-front of him at this point.

Would love to hear your evidence to suggest that McNair or Friend would currently do a better job than Fry in defence right now...

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Would love to hear your evidence to suggest that McNair or Friend would currently do a better job than Fry in defence right now...

Although Fry has been far from his best there's no way in my opinion that McNair, Friend or Shotton should be in front of him, Shotton always looks like an accident waiting to happen, even I  panic when he has the ball and I'm not even on the pitch.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, J.T. said:

In my opinion:

—————Randolph——————

——-Howson—Ayala—Fry———

Spence————————Coulson

———McNair-Wing-Tav————

————Fletcher-Britt—————

I don't really like the wingback shizzle. Think it has us sitting back too much. 

Personally I'd like to see Howson given a couple games as the holding midfielder in a 3. Don't think we've tried it at all this season.  Go back to 4 at the back and pull off a Christmas miracle to sign a half decent winger.

XI I would like to see. Pace down the flanks and a proper engine room.

Wing did well with his goal but overall performances not good enough. Despite his idiocy the other week, I actually like Johnson, the guy can whip a cross.

Saville, Clayton, Shotton can get in the sea. Dijksteel and Bola may improve with time but our academy lads look streets ahead in both skill and confidence.

—————Randolph——————

—Spence—Ayala—Fry—Coulson—

———McNair-Howson-Tav————

———Johnson-Britt-Fletcher———

I don't know if it's the best team but some variation of this is the one I would go with:

Randolph

Spence      Fry      Ayala      Coulson

Howson

McNair     Tavernier

Wing

Fletcher          Assombalonga

Or

Randolph

Spence     Fry       Ayala     Coulson

McNair   Howson  Tavernier

Wing

Fletcher         Assombalonga

You could switch Wing and Tavernier if you wanted but I'd try it that way around first.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Always is.

The booing of Gestede was absolutely pathetic, and it's far from the first time that some of our "fans" have done it 

Luckily we got a fantastic win that papers over the cracks of parts of our fanbase.

Yeah it was silly.  I wonder if some of it is less about Gestede specifically and more about what he represents though?  Gestede epitomises so much of what's gone wrong over the last few seasons.  He's been here for coming up 3 years now.  He's played 2201 mins of football in total over that time, which isn't great.  He's scored 5 goals, which also isn't great.  Over the last 18 months he's hardly played at all.  He's paid a ridiculous amount of money and we can't shift him because of it.  That's not his fault but the fans don't get to boo Bausor and Gibson when they come on to the pitch and I think for at least some of them they are making a point.

58 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I don't really like the wingback shizzle. Think it has us sitting back too much. 

Personally I'd like to see Howson given a couple games as the holding midfielder in a 3. Don't think we've tried it at all this season.  Go back to 4 at the back and pull off a Christmas miracle to sign a half decent winger.

I think we have to play with wing backs due to our lack of wingers. Until we actually buy some wingers I don’t think we have any other option. 

And I actually think the wing back system works as long as our wing backs are encouraged to go forward, like they are when we go behind. I also don’t think our full backs are good enough defensively to play in a 4. 

• Like 1