oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke 2-1 (Fletcher, Wing)

23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah it was silly.  I wonder if some of it is less about Gestede specifically and more about what he represents though?  Gestede epitomises so much of what's gone wrong over the last few seasons.  He's been here for coming up 3 years now.  He's played 2201 mins of football in total over that time, which isn't great.  He's scored 5 goals, which also isn't great.  Over the last 18 months he's hardly played at all.  He's paid a ridiculous amount of money and we can't shift him because of it.  That's not his fault but the fans don't get to boo Bausor and Gibson when they come on to the pitch and I think for at least some of them they are making a point.

I think you're giving them a bit more credit than is due there, to be honest.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The audio match day thread returns. Click the link below:   Click here for the Match Day Thread

I mentioned yesterday about Stoke diving a lot.   Here is the one that actually made me choke on my drink at the time.  

Think we've got a good player on our hands with Spence 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think you're giving them a bit more credit than is due there, to be honest.

Possibly but I do think Gestede is the poster boy for every bad decision we've made over the last few years.  Him and Saville must be the two most frequently used examples, even on here.

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Possibly but I do think Gestede is the poster boy for every bad decision we've made over the last few years.  Him and Saville must be the two most frequently used examples, even on here.

Aye, I'm not disputing that as such, just that others see it that way when deciding whether or not to boo. I think it's much simpler than that but maybe that's just me.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Aye, I'm not disputing that as such, just that others see it that way when deciding whether or not to boo. I think it's much simpler than that but maybe that's just me.

Could be right, mate.  It was just something that occurred to me during the game.

• Like 1

I'd not throw Gestede in vs Hudds myself he backed into their CBs well yes but his timing in the box was shocking he had a corner put right where he should eat up and I think it flicked off his shoulder well wide of goal, couple of back post free headers he timed horribly wrong as well. I'd go with Walker if Britt's not fit see how he goes hopefully he gets some touches to feet if he's struggling throw on the Benin Hail Mary.

I'll defend Fry and the criticism of his passing yesterday as well, the fans and our own midfielders demanded channel balls all night he was put in positions where he'd have to blindly hoof because Saville can't pass 5 yards yet alone 30 it's why I really didn't jump on Shotton's passing our midfielders besides McNair usually bottle a long ball so they hand it back to a CB who gets groans/boos if they go sideways or to Pears they're in a no win situation Fry especially because Ayala's the middle 1 he rarely gets it played to him to hoof. 

26 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Could be right, mate.  It was just something that occurred to me during the game.

I see what you're getting at, but he's been getting abuse since well before his long stretch out injured and draining of the clubs funds.

A guy a few rows down from me loudly yells donkey noises every time he warms up or is subbed on/off.

He's been a horrific waste if money, but he doesn't deserve some of the stick he gets.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I see what you're getting at, but he's been getting abuse since well before his long stretch out injured and draining of the clubs funds.

A guy a few rows down from me loudly yells donkey noises every time he warms up or is subbed on/off.

He's been a horrific waste if money, but he doesn't deserve some of the stick he gets.

Oh yeah, I know there are some people that just don't rate him.  I don't, I think he's crap.  I didn't hear too much abuse going his way when he was a regular in the side though, must have been Monk's spell here and then into the beginning of Pulis.  After that he's hardly played really.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I don't know if it's the best team but some variation of this is the one I would go with:

Randolph

Spence      Fry      Ayala      Coulson

Howson

McNair     Tavernier

Wing

Fletcher          Assombalonga

Or

Randolph

Spence     Fry       Ayala     Coulson

McNair   Howson  Tavernier

Wing

Fletcher         Assombalonga

You could switch Wing and Tavernier if you wanted but I'd try it that way around first.

Id go with that. I honestly dont think the players are that bad, it seems to be just how they are being asked to play. Someone stated earlier that Tav was afraid to get on the ball. I think in the first half he was the only one looking for it....the problem was when he got it nobody was looking for it from him!

6 minutes ago, ChipBarrington said:

Id go with that. I honestly dont think the players are that bad, it seems to be just how they are being asked to play. Someone stated earlier that Tav was afraid to get on the ball. I think in the first half he was the only one looking for it....the problem was when he got it nobody was looking for it from him!

I just think it's worth choosing a set up where you are asking players to do what they are used to doing.  We don't have wingers so let's not play with them and we don't have three central defenders (at the moment) so let's play with two instead. I reckon we'll benefit from an extra man in midfield anyway.

26 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I had written a post defending Gestede earlier but think it got lost as I shut my browser but....

He did ok when he came on. It was a combination if him being a big bloke in a position to nod the ball on, and Stoke panicking and focusing all attention on him. Even if he isnt winning every ball (i only remember him winning 2 headers) the fact that he challenges and prevents defenders clearing it where they like is a bonus to us. His little movement across everyones sight line for Wings goal is a deft simple move which probably went unnoticed to most but it just creates that uncertainty amongst defenders and buys attackers a second. Dont get me wrong, I believe with the players we have we are more suited to a narrow centre with wingbacks pushing on in a high press and counter system which Gestede doesnt really fit into but as long as Woody persists with hoof and hope then he is more than suitable.

Our movement in the first half was non existent which I think is why lots of passes went sideways and backwards. Tav lost the ball so many times but he was given no options and he was trying hard to force something. I know the rumours are that we are looking at an attacking midfielder but it honestly looks like we need a defensive midfielder to free up Tav Wing and Mcnair to work higher up the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I just think it's worth choosing a set up where you are asking players to do what they are used to doing.  We don't have wingers so let's not play with them and we don't have three central defenders (at the moment) so let's play with two instead. I reckon we'll benefit from an extra man in midfield anyway.

Agreed....Mcnair Wing Tav and Howson should be a very good diamond at this level but I would have more faith in Karanka setting us up to make it work with and without the ball. Useless having 4 ball playing CM with 2 attacking wingbacks if we just hit the channels and expect Britt and Fletcher to chase all game and then getting cut to shreds without the ball.

It’s a sign of our position when there is excitement over a win against a poor team and we are in the  bottom of the Championship. How far the mighty have fallen. 
It’s an important win and badly needed but it seems Woody sees it differently and set up not to lose, which is ironic because we are at home.

Some fans, not all, showed contempt and although I don’t agree with fickle fans rebelling, BORO fans can’t be accused of not being patient. 

I stated I expect mid table finish and I will stay with my prediction, after all this team is more than capable of finishing higher under any manager. 

I did not welcome Woody appointment but we are stuck with him, and another below par season will pass us by, which is frustrating because at my age they may not be many more to come. 

• Sad 1