oneBoro Forum

Boro v Stoke 2-1 (Fletcher, Wing)

Thought we were awful in the first half.  Woodgate may as well put a sign up saying that we were playing not to get beat.  I think someone has used the word gutless on the thread.  I called it cowardice a few months ago and that's exactly how I felt tonight.  I'm not interested in hearing that we have to keep things tight and blah blah blah.  Firstly, we aren't good at it.  We're not a team to sit back and soak up lots of pressure.  Secondly, we can actually play some football and attack when we give it a go, the fans and players look up for it and we look like a better side.  It's really not complicated.

After going a goal down in the second half we at least decided to have a go.  Equalising so quickly would have helped as it not only took away any momentum they had but it gave us some ourselves.  I think the penalty decision went our way as it looked like Howson fouled their lad.  Our second goal was so simple and just good football.  A quick throw, a great turn by Tavernier, picking out a good pass and then a belter of a finish by Wing.  Obviously something has put some pep in his step.  I felt we edged it overall, mostly just because of the second half, and probably deserved the win but Stoke will feel they deserved a point from it.

Despite the fact that we won, it's hard to ignore the fairly obvious things staring us (well me at least) in the face.  This set up isn't working for us.  The three central defenders don't work well together and don't know where they are supposed to be.  Apparently Fry was at fault for the goal again?  I'm not gonna go and find the highlights like I did last weekend but if you do I think you'll see Ayala once again nowhere near the man he is supposed to be looking after, who is effectively on the blind side of Fry and then Howson a couple of yards behind his man as well.  The end result is that Ayala is taken out of the game because he's too slow to recover, they are able to cross it into their player in our six yard box because Howson is also too slow to recover and our midfield don't track back so Clucas can put in the rebound.  It's basically what happened at Swansea and lots of times this season happening all over again.

That midfield three also doesn't work.  Saville is a waste of space.  Clayton doesn't look fully interested to me or he's suddenly become very slow.  He's never been quick but now he doesn't even seem to be anticipating things.  It could be because he's in and out of the side though in fairness to him.  Tavernier clearly has a decent football brain but he'll be ruined playing for us if it continues like it is.  Wing did ok, obviously struck his goal well and actually got forward in the first place to be able to do it.  However, he has been poor recently as well.  As a group though the protection they offer to the defenders is non-existent at times and the same goes for how much help they give the wingbacks.

Fletcher and Walker didn't work as a pairing but then we didn't give them a chance to.  If you spend most of the half going sideways and backwards then you make it difficult for forwards to get into the game.  I'd hate to play up front for us sometimes as you may as well not be there.  I don't think Gestede made all that much difference when he came on, we just had a different mindset by that point.

Massive three points, and despite my criticisms, I don't think we're one of the three worst sides in the league.  I do think a lot of our issues are self inflicted though.

• Like 4
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The audio match day thread returns. Click the link below:   Click here for the Match Day Thread

I mentioned yesterday about Stoke diving a lot.   Here is the one that actually made me choke on my drink at the time.  

Think we've got a good player on our hands with Spence 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

the crowds behaviour was pretty embarrassing.

Always is.

The booing of Gestede was absolutely pathetic, and it's far from the first time that some of our "fans" have done it 

Luckily we got a fantastic win that papers over the cracks of parts of our fanbase.

• Like 5

Pears wasn't really troubled other than the shot before the goal.

Ayala was at his best

Howson did really well covering the space behind Djed, great through ball for the first goal

Fry, some good moments and some poor ones, decision making needs to improve, and it will when his confidence returns

Djed was excellent going forward and Coulson did a great job defensively after a rocky opening 10 mins

Clayton did ok

Tav, shaky first half, but he really took the game by the scruff of the neck and for 25 mins of second half they couldn't contain him

Saville well he wasn't a liability, I'll take that as a step forward

Walker didn't see much of the ball, didn't put a foot wrong though

Fletcher had his moments and put a lot of work in, great run for the goal

Gestede, good cameo, really troubled their defence challenging for those arial balls. If he can get back to full fitness he will be a good last 30 minute plan B

Wing a good cameo, great shot, but he was chasing Allans shadow for the last 20

Johnson didn't get into it, but didn't get a silly sending off either

All in all, a game of two halves but again we showed some promise in spells, with Ayala and Tav being stand outs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Thought we were awful in the first half.  Woodgate may as well put a sign up saying that we were playing not to get beat.  I think someone has used the word gutless on the thread.  I called it cowardice a few months ago and that's exactly how I felt tonight.  I'm not interested in hearing that we have to keep things tight and blah blah blah.  Firstly, we aren't good at it.  We're not a team to sit back and soak up lots of pressure.  Secondly, we can actually play some football and attack when we give it a go, the fans and players look up for it and we look like a better side.  It's really not complicated.

After going a goal down in the second half we at least decided to have a go.  Equalising so quickly would have helped as it not only took away any momentum they had but it gave us some ourselves.  I think the penalty decision went our way as it looked like Howson fouled their lad.  Our second goal was so simple and just good football.  A quick throw, a great turn by Tavernier, picking out a good pass and then a belter of a finish by Wing.  Obviously something has put some pep in his step.  I felt we edged it overall, mostly just because of the second half, and probably deserved the win but Stoke will feel they deserved a point from it.

Despite the fact that we won, it's hard to ignore the fairly obvious things staring us (well me at least) in the face.  This set up isn't working for us.  The three central defenders don't work well together and don't know where they are supposed to be.  Apparently Fry was at fault for the goal again?  I'm not gonna go and find the highlights like I did last weekend but if you do I think you'll see Ayala once again nowhere near the man he is supposed to be looking after, who is effectively on the blind side of Fry and then Howson a couple of yards behind his man as well.  The end result is that Ayala is taken out of the game because he's too slow to recover, they are able to cross it into their player in our six yard box because Howson is also too slow to recover and our midfield don't track back so Clucas can put in the rebound.  It's basically what happened at Swansea and lots of times this season happening all over again.

That midfield three also doesn't work.  Saville is a waste of space.  Clayton doesn't look fully interested to me or he's suddenly become very slow.  He's never been quick but now he doesn't even seem to be anticipating things.  It could be because he's in and out of the side though in fairness to him.  Tavernier clearly has a decent football brain but he'll be ruined playing for us if it continues like it is.  Wing did ok, obviously struck his goal well and actually got forward in the first place to be able to do it.  However, he has been poor recently as well.  As a group though the protection they offer to the defenders is non-existent at times and the same goes for how much help they give the wingbacks.

Fletcher and Walker didn't work as a pairing but then we didn't give them a chance to.  If you spend most of the half going sideways and backwards then you make it difficult for forwards to get into the game.  I'd hate to play up front for us sometimes as you may as well not be there.  I don't think Gestede made all that much difference when he came on, we just had a different mindset by that point.

Massive three points, and despite my criticisms, I don't think we're one of the three worst sides in the league.  I do think a lot of our issues are self inflicted though.

Very good write up, agree with the slowness of Savillev& Clayton, Savilke has been an awful, awful signing

Ayala was MOTM for me & needs to be kept at all costs, he is so vital to the team 

6 hours ago, boro-unger said:

Dire first half, but the second half was great. We really burst into life. Spence was decent again and rudy did well when he came on

Woodgates subs in the last few games seem to have worked fairly well at changing the game. Maybe there is some tactical nous in there somewhere! 

I was just saying before the game that Wing hadn't scored a screamer in ages. What a goal that was. It's been a while since I've jumped that high in celebration! 

Did he even win a header ? Poorest excuse for a footballer I recall ever seeing. 

Awful first half, was ready to switch off but all credit to Woodgate and the players for that 2nd half.

Baby steps, but we might just manage to avoid relegation if we can beat the teams around us. I fear we'll be set up to not lose against Huddersfield as usual though. Woody, prove me wrong!

10 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

What does George Saville do? 

Just turns up to collect his pay cheque?

Been reading through some of the posts arguing about who's fault it is, why we seem to start games so poorly / negatively. Unfortunately they didn't help me make my mind up.

All I know is, its incredibly frustrating to see how tentative we are. So slow, hesitant...almost scared to play. We get so far up the pitch, but then keep passing sideways and finally all the way back to the keeper. Over and over again. 

Its probably not a coincidence we only seem to get our fingers out once we go behind. Is that down to the manager's instructions, or the players' "self-preservation" instincts kicking in? I wish I knew.

When you see how we CAN play when we decide to really attack, it makes you want to give them all a good slap.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 3

What a pleasure it is to wake up on a Saturday knowing that our job is done and what a difference in the moods of members between this and last week, long may it continue.

The mini-feature CT produced really is spot on and grudgingly or not we all recognise that it is the truth.

Yes we are going to get beaten again but the team has shown and Woodgate himself that they are VERY capable of doing much more and ensuring that we are not dragged into a relegation battle and that the dizzy heights of mid table safety can be achieved.

There is hope now compared to past weeks and for once Woody has shown something about himself being able to be a Manager, he was a delight to listen to on the interview after the game and for once seemed to be excited. Going to lay off him now and hope he gets on with the job in hand and finally allows the team to be more open in their approach.

The win was deserved simple as, and ok maybe I am being too ra,ra about it but it is good to get hope back n a club that means so much to all of us.  "Carry on Johnny" 

As others have said we have to give Ayala what he wants. Best Cb in the league for me and would be short sighted by the club to not offer him a reasonable deal. What would it cost to get a like for like Ayala replacement in today's silly transfer fees? 5-7 million would be my guess which obviously we dont have laying around.  If the difference between keeping him is offering 30k Instead of 20k it's a no brainer. 

What's happened with Fry? He looks lost and a shadow of the player from previous seasons. Could it be playing on the left side of defence? He does kinda look like hes always on his wrong foot.

I'd love us to take the attacking momentum from the second half and just run with it. 433, Spence and Coulson full backs, 3 of McNair/Howson/Wing/Tav, Britt, fletcher and hopefully a signing or 2 for the attacking positions. Yea we'll concede more but we look a much better team attacking with the shackles off. Have some balls Woody. UTB

• Like 1

Great way to win last night. It’s not often that the Boro come from behind to bag all three points so it was good to see. I think we should employ a psychologist to convince the players that they are 1-0 down before the game starts and then we might see some improvements in the performances. UTB 

5 hours ago, Stevoboro said:

Did he even win a header ? Poorest excuse for a footballer I recall ever seeing. 

Did you even watch the game? Gestede has been a woeful signing but you can't deny he did exactly what we signed him for when he came on. Won headers, held up the ball, won free kicks, was a nuisance for their defenders and allowed the midfield to press higher up. Stoke didn't have a sight of goal after Wingy's pearler and have to give Rudy credit where its due for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it was said at the start of the season that it was going to be one of ups and downs, even at times pure torment. It has lived up to that billing and possibly worse in some peoples eyes.

We have to remember that all of us fans are impatient for success, but the blooding of all the young players will be good for the future with careful handling. I know that no one knows if Woodgate is the man to give that careful handling, but with wins like last night he isn't going to be leaving any time soon. The result was lovely to see.

The situation will have to be put up with. I am neither for or against Jonathan Woodgate but a change would mean going back to the beginning and starting again. I would at this stage rather see how things go.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Well it was said at the start of the season that it was going to be one of ups and downs, even at times pure torment. It has lived up to that billing and possibly worse in some peoples eyes.

We have to remember that all of us fans are impatient for success, but the blooding of all the young players will be good for the future with careful handling. I know that no one knows if Woodgate is the man to give that careful handling, but with wins like last night he isn't going to be leaving any time soon. The result was lovely to see.

The situation will have to be put up with. I am neither for or against Jonathan Woodgate but a change would mean going back to the beginning and starting again. I would at this stage rather see how things go.

Yes I can agree with that, good post