oneBoro Forum

Boro v Tottenham (FA Cup) 1-1 (Fletcher)

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its mad how everything seems rosier when your club is riding a good wave.  I've just said hello to the wife for the first time in months 

Well played fellas. Draw a fair result.  No complaints. See you at our place. Any one need any advice give me a shout. 

Today was class but I'm proud to be from Boro regardless, I love the place and honestly it makes me happy to turn up to the Riverside every match day. I work down the road from the stadium and the Tra

Posted Images

I'm sure our 4th round FAC tie away to Notts County, midday kick off, on the 7th December 1986 was our 1st Sunday fixture

Boro winning 1-0 courtesy of a Gary Hamilton strike, I travelled on the raras that day 

Screenshot_20200104_110823.jpg

Edited by Erimus74
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, northern boro said:

13 fixtures will have VAR this weekend at Premier League grounds which means Boro v Spurs will not have VAR

For that I'm very pleased as don't want any Boro goal to be disallowed by a shoelace

• Like 1

My father in law and stepdad both complained about this VAR business because of the offside stuff. To me, it actually seems like the offside rule is the problem rather than VAR but because VAR is the new thing, it's getting all the flak. Not to say there isn't problems with it but the biggest issue people are talking about in relation to it doesn't really seem to be anything to do with VAR in itself apart from its ability to apply the offside law. So shouldn't we just be talking about the offside rule being ***?

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

My father in law and stepdad both complained about this VAR business because of the offside stuff. To me, it actually seems like the offside rule is the problem rather than VAR but because VAR is the new thing, it's getting all the flak. Not to say there isn't problems with it but the biggest issue people are talking about in relation to it doesn't really seem to be anything to do with VAR in itself apart from its ability to apply the offside law. So shouldn't we just be talking about the offside rule being ***?

VAR is supposed to correct obvious errors.  If it takes you minutes drawing lines on a frozen screen from people's armpits to try and figure out if some part of someone's body is a millimetre ahead of someone else then you aren't correcting for obvious errors, you're over analysing it completely and that was never the intent of VAR.  VAR replays should be by sight only and it should take no longer than a few seconds to figure it out, if it takes longer then you stick with the decision on the field.  In terms of offsides, you freeze the picture and just look if the player in question actually appears to be offside.  If he doesn't then the goal is given, if he does then it's disallowed.  If it's too close to call then the decision on the field stands.  Again, it should take no longer than a few seconds to figure it out, there are no graphics on the screen, it's just another set of eyes with the benefit of slow motion or freeze frame.  The system is fine, it's just being misused, either deliberately or because of a lack of common sense.

• Like 5

All valid stuff there but my point is that what VAR is doing is applying the rule to determine whether or not the attacker has an advantage when there are millimetres in it. If drawing the lines up can be done quickly and effectively, I'm happy enough that they do that. It's that an attacker is seen to have such a significant advantage in some of these scenarios that I think is more of the problem when people are talking about there being a shoelace between them and the defending player.

I know VAR is only meant to be for the clear and obvious but that's also pretty subjective to the individuals and just as open to scrutinization in those scenarios. If those people get it wrong without the benefit of the lines on the screen then VAR is ultimately brought down by not actually being effective enough and at that point, you may as well not have it at all. When it comes to Match of the Day later on, they'll pull the lines up and undermine the decision just as much as they used to before the tech and question what the point of it is if not to get the decisions right. Right now, it doesn't seem to be a problem of getting decisions wrong per se, just that the idea of offside being so small as a millimetre beyond your man is a bit crap so the rule feels crap.

If the rule was different, the process would still be the same, mate.  You'd have the same things being done to determine if the player is definitely behind the defender instead of level or whatever.  The issue is that VAR wasn't brought in to do this and it's being applied in a way that it shouldn't be.  I wouldn't have introduced it anyway but that's me.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Start of a long day travel wise picking up my son and Teddy in 2 hours time and hoping to get to Middlesbrough about twelvish.

Thank goodness for Ipads! keeps Teddy entertained 

I’ve got one of those plastic balls that you push different shapes into their respective holes.... if you need to keep Daniel entertained? 😉

If we press and hunt them down like we did at WBA I can see us winning.  Give them no time on the ball and win the 50/50's. 

My heart says 3-1 Boro. My head says 2-1 spurs. 

Come on Boro