oneBoro Forum

Boro v Tottenham (FA Cup) 1-1 (Fletcher)

Good performance from the team and flair play to Woodgate again. 

Thought McNair and Howson were excellent at the back, Saville's pass for the goal was superb and Fletcher looks like our best striker at the moment. 

If you'd told me that I was going to post all of the above comments a couple of months ago I would have thought you were mad. 

Spurs look a pale shadow of the team they were under Poch but take nothing away from us, we played really well.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its mad how everything seems rosier when your club is riding a good wave.  I've just said hello to the wife for the first time in months 

Well played fellas. Draw a fair result.  No complaints. See you at our place. Any one need any advice give me a shout. 

Today was class but I'm proud to be from Boro regardless, I love the place and honestly it makes me happy to turn up to the Riverside every match day. I work down the road from the stadium and the Tra

Posted Images

Lastly as mentioned above, the BT commentary were very complimentary about the club, fans, area and history. 

It showed that to neutrals we are not the down and out club and area that some of our fans think we are. If we are run properly behind the scenes we are a town that can sustain a Premier league club again. Its frustrated me this season hearing our own fans accepting a relegation battle and suggesting no one would ever want to invest in the club. 

• Like 2

The other thing that Woodgate said that interested me was that they were targeting Spurs high line and wanted to hod the ball while looking for that pass in behind - growing evidence of tactical awareness from Woody. Not exactly genius level stuff but certainly far beyond the "go out and run around a bit" tactics I feel we got in his first number of matches. 

Excellent performance.

What a feeling, when Fletcher scored from that magnificent Michael Laudrup'esque assist from *** George Saville!

Roberts looked good in the 2nd half and my thinking is: If he can shine v a PL top 6 side/CL finalist .. Then he for sure can be awesome v  Championship sides!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, boroie said:

The other thing that Woodgate said that interested me was that they were targeting Spurs high line and wanted to hod the ball while looking for that pass in behind - growing evidence of tactical awareness from Woody. Not exactly genius level stuff but certainly far beyond the "go out and run around a bit" tactics I feel we got in his first number of matches. 

I suspect there's a fair deal more to his tactical analysis than the things he often speaks about in press conferences. Even crap managers have views on how to play the game tactically and where they think they can hurt teams or where best to defend against them. The difference between good and bad managers in that regard is perhaps how correct they are, how nuanced they are about it, how much they set up to counter the opposition vs. how much is just "Here are our strengths, lets impose ourselves" and when to do either of those things. Woodgate has played under all kinds of good managers throughout the years, as he's said himself, he will have picked some of that up alongside his coaching badges. From there, it's about how you apply the skills and knowledge that you've taken on board and how well the players can take that on board. And hey, even the best managers get it wrong sometimes.

I'd say one thing that seems to have changed is that the results have picked up a few heads. Credit to the lads who dusted themselves down when things weren't going well and came out against the likes of Hull and Charlton and put the form book to one side, players like Howson, McNair, Johnson, Fletcher and Britt too. It's almost certainly helped some of the younger inexperienced players, like Tav, Wing, Spence, Coulson, Pears, them lot are bright sparks but if the older lads aren't having a good time, it's infinitely harder for them. This point in the season when so many things are going our way is when Woodgate and co. need to shine, everyone will be switched on and willing to listen and do the job for him. There are promising signs right now, let's hope he keeps this going.

• Like 3

You can see Roberts has a lot of class about him, understandably flagged today but glided past players with ease at times. Think he’ll be top class when up to speed against championship defenders 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

You can see Roberts has a lot of class about him, understandably flagged today but glided past players with ease at times. Think he’ll be top class when up to speed against championship defenders 

He was better in the second half when he was getting on the ball a bit more rather than trying to win headers he'd never win. Definitely something in there that will hopefully shine through playing against worse defenders than the Spurs ones.

Just now, LinoJo3 said:

Missed the game due to work, wondering what formation we played and what positions the new signings went in at? 

Looked a bit mixed between 5-3-1-1 when defending and 4-2-3-1 when going forward, Roberts played just off Fletcher, Nmecha played alongside Rudy when he got on.

4 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Missed the game due to work, wondering what formation we played and what positions the new signings went in at? 

The formation was pretty much 11 behind the ball for quite a lot of the game. They had a lot of the ball and we had to dig in. We tried to hit on the counter. I’m not quite sure what position Roberts was playing, him and Tav seemed to swap quite a lot. Nmecha came on as a striker next to Rudy. He didn’t really do much because he came on in the last 10 minutes when they were really putting pressure on us. Did make a run with the ball in the 90th minute and got a free kick quite high up which helped relieve some pressure. Roberts looked a great player in the second half. Very tricky player

• Like 1