oneBoro Forum

Boro v Tottenham (FA Cup) 1-1 (Fletcher)

43 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I suspect there's a fair deal more to his tactical analysis than the things he often speaks about in press conferences. Even crap managers have views on how to play the game tactically and where they think they can hurt teams or where best to defend against them. The difference between good and bad managers in that regard is perhaps how correct they are, how nuanced they are about it, how much they set up to counter the opposition vs. how much is just "Here are our strengths, lets impose ourselves" and when to do either of those things. Woodgate has played under all kinds of good managers throughout the years, as he's said himself, he will have picked some of that up alongside his coaching badges. From there, it's about how you apply the skills and knowledge that you've taken on board and how well the players can take that on board. And hey, even the best managers get it wrong sometimes.

I'd say one thing that seems to have changed is that the results have picked up a few heads. Credit to the lads who dusted themselves down when things weren't going well and came out against the likes of Hull and Charlton and put the form book to one side, players like Howson, McNair, Johnson, Fletcher and Britt too. It's almost certainly helped some of the younger inexperienced players, like Tav, Wing, Spence, Coulson, Pears, them lot are bright sparks but if the older lads aren't having a good time, it's infinitely harder for them. This point in the season when so many things are going our way is when Woodgate and co. need to shine, everyone will be switched on and willing to listen and do the job for him. There are promising signs right now, let's hope he keeps this going.

Agreed, you will never get a complete understanding of the setup from a pre or post match interview. However if you think back to the first half of the first half of the season, it was rare to see any sort of real plan in place. We looked clueless, and the biggest turnaround is that we now seem to approach games with a plan. Now you could potentially say that plan was there all the time and now the players are buying into it, or that Woodgate and team are becoming more savvy about how they are preparing the team for matches. I took it as a positive that he talked about a specific aspect of pre-match planning that they had worked on, and that paid off. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its mad how everything seems rosier when your club is riding a good wave.  I've just said hello to the wife for the first time in months 

Well played fellas. Draw a fair result.  No complaints. See you at our place. Any one need any advice give me a shout. 

Today was class but I'm proud to be from Boro regardless, I love the place and honestly it makes me happy to turn up to the Riverside every match day. I work down the road from the stadium and the Tra

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Adamjr9 said:

Jack Clarke confimed? 👀 

Fingers crossed about Clarke.

However, Jose has been complimentary about our chairman ever since he employed Karanka. Even when Karanka left, Karanka and Gibson had very warm words to say about each other. I amure Jose knows about Gibson the man via Karanka.

Replay is Tues 14th Jan which is annoying as we are are back in London 3 days later for Friday night game v Fulham. Probably makes sense just to stay in London and some club will allow us to use their facilities. I was rather hoping replay was week commencing 20th Jan but full PL programme that midweek i note.

22 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

However, Jose has been complimentary about our chairman ever since he employed Karanka. Even when Karanka left, Karanka and Gibson had very warm words to say about each other. I amure Jose knows about Gibson the man via Karanka.

He didn't have great words to say about us when Aitor was sacked though, if memory serves me right.

32 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Didn’t he come to the game against Brighton when we won 3-0 just after he was sacked by Chelsea?

Enjoyable game...goal taken well by Fletch, I have a lot more confidence when he is in a one-on-one than some others, seems to keep his composure a little bit longer..might be just gaining more confidence but I think that he is beginning to look like a player worth the fee we paid...Fry had a good game and for a goalkeeper making a first appearance in team this season, Tomas hardly put a foot wrong..loved the way Rudy's face lit up when he was cheered during his touchline running and all in all thought we were well worth the draw.....Fingers crossed for Liverpool to give them a hard match at the weekend but whatever happens, if we play that well in London, then a decent outcome is possible..especially if Ayala recovers and Roberts gets some more game time     

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Enjoyable game...goal taken well by Fletch, I have a lot more confidence when he is in a one-on-one than some others, seems to keep his composure a little bit longer..might be just gaining more confidence but I think that he is beginning to look like a player worth the fee we paid...Fry had a good game and for a goalkeeper making a first appearance in team this season, Tomas hardly put a foot wrong..loved the way Rudy's face lit up when he was cheered during his touchline running and all in all thought we were well worth the draw.....Fingers crossed for Liverpool to give them a hard match at the weekend but whatever happens, if we play that well in London, then a decent outcome is possible..especially if Ayala recovers and Roberts gets some more game time     

Liverpool will annihilate us at the weekend. Hoping we keep their goals down to 5 or 6. 

We should give them a bye and save ourselves for the Cup. 

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, TBWAH said:

Liverpool will annihilate us at the weekend. Hoping we keep their goals down to 5 or 6. 

We should give them a bye and save ourselves for the Cup. 

From what I saw today I don't fancy you in the cup either. 

yes spurs are pretty one dimentional. if they cant pass through you the dont have the quality out wide to threaten. for example if alexander arnold was at right back today with that space, which looked to me like we allowed anyway. he would have probs put half dozen on a plate for someone. aurier cant cross can he. they looked to me like they did on the tv games i've seen them. nice in possession vunerable when losing it. dier and winks are championship players just not good enough at all for spurs. they look out of sorts. with some of them player in attacking areas its quite amazing how blunt they are and easy enough to contain. ironically their goal game from the one decent cross. but if ayala was in the side ball wouldnt have went over his head and we'd be walking away into 4th round.