oneBoro Forum

Boro v Derby 2-2 ( Wing, McNair (pen) )

Middlesbrough vs Derby County (H)

wayne.jpg.37a4cd6b475c48ebc67ff3b00648927a.jpg 

Mel Morris has given Wayne a massive bumper deal to return to England and sign for Derby, he’s on so much money he can finally afford the hair he’s always dreamt of… Party on Wayne!

Match Information

Saturday 3pm at the Riverside, Middlesbrough take on Derby… Level on points and both on the ascendency, who will take the spoils?

Middlesbrough played their way to a very credible draw with Champions League finalists Tottenham last time out. This follows on from a perfect 4 Championship fixtures, gaining 12 points in 12 days over Christmas… coincidently I’ve also gained 12 pounds in 12 days over the festive period in a show of support and appreciation.

Derby have won 3 on the bounce knocking Premier League Crystal Palace out of the FA Cup and will be showing up in good spirits.

Middlesbrough are now closer to the top 6 than they are to the relegation zone (8 points vs 10 points). All achieved with a new look squad leaning heavily on youth and academy players. Ashley Fletcher is the man of the moment, impressing by contributing a goal or an assist in each of the last 6 games (including that contentious Preston goal).

This Fixture Last Time Out

The last time we welcomed Derby to the Riverside the teams were under the stewardship of Frank Lampard and Tony Pulis playing out a 1-1 draw, with both teams a lot further up the table and with much loftier ambitions for the season than they have now.

Injury News

Britt, Shotton, Friend and Dijksteel are all still on the treatment table, with Ayala a doubt with his customary January injury. Randolph looks to be off to pastures new.

View from the Other Side

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/34141-v-boro-a-predictions/ 

They seem to be even more pessimistic than us…

Questions

Which academy graduate has impressed you the most this season?

Wayne Rooney or Lewis Wing, who wears their hair transplant better?

Will we see any of the new boys starting?

What position will Boro finish come the end of the season?

Would you make any changes to the personnel or formation?

Score predictions for this one?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middlesbrough vs Derby County (H)                                  Mel Morris has given Wayne a massive bumper deal to return to England and sign for Derby, he’s on so much money he can fina

A zimmer frame for Wayne? 😝   Oh, sorry - not that kind of support?

Posted Images

Over the whole season it's Hayden Coulson, I think he's a real, real talent and has a big future in the game.
However I've really enjoyed Djed Spence since he's come into the team too. There's almost something Traore like about him, in that when he gets the ball and starts running it doesn't always look like even he knows what he's going to do with it. Makes me nostalgic. Honorary mention to Pears too who has stepped up to the plate so far.

Is that even a real question, Wingy is a handsome young man!

If we do, it'll be Roberts. However he did look kinda rusty against Spurs so I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see both the new guys start on the bench. It'll be nice to finally have some genuine talent to bring on if we need to change the game though!

Quite honestly I will take anywhere, so long as the performances on the pitch suggest growth and progression. If I had to say I think we might hit the heady heights of 12th by the end.

Personally at this moment I'm a fan of the 4231, so I'd be playing that as often as possible. Fletch up top, some combo of Tav/Wing/Nmecha/Roberts/Johnson behind him. Keep that DM pairing of Clayts and Saville because it's actually making Saville look like a player for a change.

While I'd love to say this is where we explode for goals and win 4-0, us and Derby are very, very similar this season so it'll be a low scoring affair. I'm going to go with a 2-0 or 2-1 with some intense squeaky bum time in typical Middlesbrough fashion.

• Like 2

Good luck Foogle! You've got some pretty big shoes to fill (or at least thats what I heard about BU). 😁🤞

Quite a mix of opinions on the Derby forum. A lot predicting a Boro win. Some a win for them (a few by a couple of goals). One even predicting a 0-3. 

Think I can only echo what Brunners has said. Coulson seems to be a pretty consistent performer and a hard worker. Spence has been a minor revelation, offering genuine pace and attacking threat...as he said, shades of Adama there. Aynsley, despite a few dodgy moments, seems to be adapting quickly to life in the first team and has put in some sterling displays.

Has to be Wing..but then I am biased.

Don't see why not, given they got some action in the Cup game against Spurs - not to mention our ongoing injury issues. If they do start though, I wouldn't expect them to play the full 90. 

The optimist in me thinks that, IF we can continue the excellent form we've shown lately, we could possibly finish top 6. More realistically a top 10 finish would be great, considering the first 3 months.

I think continuity is key, so would only make changes based on fitness / injuries etc. (if it ain't broken, don't fix it).

Expecting this to be a tough one, as the Rams are also trying to turn their season around (especially if Rooney plays). 

Prediction: Boro 2 - 1 Derby

• Like 2

Coulson came out of nowhere this pre-season to look like we never needed to buy a new left-back. Spence came in in the time of need and looked more at home in the team than when I'd ever seen him before. Pears is showing steady improvement and has made some good saves in recent weeks.

However, I'm going for Tav. I remember when he came in at Reading under Monk, I remember going to see the Sunderland game in which he scored and thinking he felt like a pretty bang average player. Last season, when he came into the team he was pretty bright but it didn't happen enough thanks to the over-protection of Pulis. And this season it felt for a few games that his season wouldn't kick off despite being given the #7. Forget all that, he's a permanent fixture in this team right now and he gets himself everywhere and involved with everything. He doesn't look like a kid any more, he's a driving force in our first team.

Maybe we should ask the tea lady he's apparently been [REDACTED] 👀

I imagine Roberts will keep his place.

I reckon somewhere between 10th and 16th.

Before I get pulled up for grammatical inaccuracies again, let me declare that this is an inclusive 'between', 10th or 16th would still be considered as correct.

Just so we're not entirely off the mark, let me make it absolutely clear, the following statement would be true should Boro finish where I predict they will:

Boro's position <= 10 AND Boro's position >= 16

Now, just to be extra sure, the values that lie between these numbers inclusively are:

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

You might be wondering, what about decimal points? Are they covered? No, good sir, league positions are whole numbers!

Anyway...

Really, more questions after the last one? Ugh. Really am going back to school.

Pears back in, maybe Wing for Saville, other than that, stick with what we had.

I'm going 2-2. I want to think we can keep the winning run going but all good things must come to an end and a point, whilst disappointing at home to a close rival, won't be the worst result in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1)  Djed.....because his arrival seems to have given the team (especially the defence) the balance we were missing early on

2)  Wing...Mr. Potato Head doesn't need any more trophies

3)  yes......Roberts ..then replace with Lucas if/when he tires

4) 8th, 9th or 10th....but that will be deemed a greater achievement than finishing 7th last year  (don't know why that sounds familiar)

5) same starters unless injuries necessitate change..we have enough versatility to adjust during game if required

6) 2-0 ...if we can keep everyone on pitch...get the feeling, this match might get a little tasty

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

👀Just so we're not entirely off the mark, let me make it absolutely clear, the following statement would be true should Boro finish where I predict they will:

Boro's position <= 10 AND Boro's position >= 16

Now, just to be extra sure, the values that lie between these numbers inclusively are:

10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

You might be wondering, what about decimal points? Are they covered? No, good sir, league positions are whole numbers!

< pedantry alert >

Technically '<= 10' in whole numbers while talking places available in the championship would be a range of 1 to 10. Likewise '>= 16' would indicate 16 - 24. 

😄

< /pedantry alert >

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, boroie said:

< pedantry alert >

Technically '<= 10' in whole numbers while talking places available in the championship would be a range of 1 to 10. Likewise '>= 16' would indicate 16 - 24. 

😄

< /pedantry alert >

Oh yeah I hadn't noticed that. Damnit @wilsoncgp you got your signs the wrong way around!

For *** sake, I'm blaming my maths teacher. He taught me values based on football league tables, where 24 has less value than 1. Are you telling me he's wrong? I'm starting to figure it all out now.

• Haha 4

Omg .. our MDT is way more exciting than their boring *** crap 😛

Which academy graduate has impressed you the most this season? Coulson!

Wayne Rooney or Lewis Wing, who wears their hair transplant better? Giraffe tits

Will we see any of the new boys starting? Roberts

What position will Boro finish come the end of the season? 5th

Would you make any changes to the personnel or formation? Pears, Fry, Howson, Paddy, Djed, Coulson, Saville, Clayton, Tav, Roberts, Fleshlight

Score predictions for this one? 2-0

I think key to this game is making sure we stop Rooney from getting on the ball. Woodgate confirmed v WBA game plan was to smoother Perreria as he dictates play. The upturn in derbys recent performance has been Rooney dictating play so ideally press them high up.

8 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Rooney is so slow now, limit the number of set pieces we give away, and a bit of mobility on the pitch and he shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this is not a case of "famous last words" His range of passing skills clearly evident in the recent game I watched.

Massive game for both teams as one of them's momentum could take a dip.

Keep Rooney quiet and 3 points coud be ours but I see a scoring draw as the outcome

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Hope this is not a case of "famous last words" His range of passing skills clearly evident in the recent game I watched.

Massive game for both teams as one of them's momentum could take a dip.

Keep Rooney quiet and 3 points coud be ours but I see a scoring draw as the outcome

I didn't watch the Palace match, but against Barnsley he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game at all. Just hung about in the middle of the pitch as the game largely passed him by.

He delivered an absolute peach of a delivery from a free kick which led to the opening goal though.

I'm sure he'll get more influential as he gets more games in his legs though, so it's lucky we're playing him now.

I think this is a game we should be winning, whether we will is a different matter.

The Most important question to ask is... Although DCFC (seem to) use the exact same format/software for their forum  why do they get 20 posts per page whilst we only get a paltry 15 🤷‍♂️

sort it out Mods