oneBoro Forum

Boro v Derby 2-2 ( Wing, McNair (pen) )

26 minutes ago, Duvel said:

My first game of the season at the Riverside today, I enjoyed the game and for entertainment value it was a huge improvement from last season. 

I thought Roberts was really good when he got on the ball and he looks like he could be a really good player in the future. 

It's a huge improvement from how we were playing before Christmas and hopefully it'll improve even more. I think some people are still getting carried away though, I listened to the Tees phone in on the way home and you'd think we were playing like Barcelona. 😂

I honestly don't mind people getting a bit carried away right now. It's far better than people *** and moaning about how he hasn't been sacked yet. There was a fella I heard on the way back who was saying it just shows you what can happen when you give someone time and I'm with him on this. Woodgate might end up being a good manager for us, he might not. But one thing is for certain, we haven't changed manager between changing the kind of performances we've been putting in. If that's not proof that sometimes a manager just needs time and a rub of the green before you think about getting the guillotine out, I don't know what is.

• Like 1
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middlesbrough vs Derby County (H)                                  Mel Morris has given Wayne a massive bumper deal to return to England and sign for Derby, he’s on so much money he can fina

A zimmer frame for Wayne? 😝   Oh, sorry - not that kind of support?

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

3 weeks so we’d have taken anything to avoid relegation! 3 weeks later we’re panicking we might not achieve the playoffs 

If my Nana had a penis she’d be my grandad.

Surely if your nana had a penis she/he wouldn’t have been able to copulate with your grandad to make your mam/dad? Therefore you wouldn’t be here. What that has to do with not achieving the playoffs I haven’t the foggiest but we should probably think about it, at least for a while anyway 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I honestly don't mind people getting a bit carried away right now. It's far better than people *** and moaning about how he hasn't been sacked yet. There was a fella I heard on the way back who was saying it just shows you what can happen when you give someone time and I'm with him on this. Woodgate might end up being a good manager for us, he might not. But one thing is for certain, we haven't changed manager between changing the kind of performances we've been putting in. If that's not proof that sometimes a manager just needs time and a rub of the green before you think about getting the guillotine out, I don't know what is.

There you go, he might end up being a good manager he might not. I think he's earned the chance to have a bit of time in the job. 

There's nothing wrong with enjoying our improvement but I think I'll be keeping my feet on the ground as well. The presenters on Tees were talking like we were 10 points clear at the top rather than being in the bottom half of the Championship. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

There you go, he might end up being a good manager he might not. I think he's earned the chance to have a bit of time in the job. 

There's nothing wrong with enjoying our improvement but I think I'll be keeping my feet on the ground as well. The presenters on Tees were talking like we were 10 points clear at the top rather than being in the bottom half of the Championship. 

I think that's based on the context of how the season started and the types of performances we've put in recently. Pretty sure Paul Addison was saying himself that essentially he's not sure how much he aligns with the idea of just wanting a team that plays attractive, enjoyable football without focusing just on results but that there's definitely something in how different the conversation is just when that changes and, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Paul Addison.

We aren't in a great position but people are enjoying what they see and these are by and large the same people who spent a lot of last season saying they'd sacrifice just talking about results and just talking about aiming for promotion if they could go to the stadium and enjoy a game of football.

Just back from the game today. The last game I was at was Huddersfield away. What a difference!

My ambitions at the start of the season were not promotion or playoffs. All I wanted this season was to first of all not get relegated, and after that I just wanted to see progression. Progression in terms of style of play and progression in terms of some of the youth coming through. 

I am not ashamed to admit that this time last month I was calling for Woodgate to go. As much as I wanted him to succeed, I just couldn’t see, from our play, what he was trying to implement or what he was trying to do and we were dancing very close to the the relegation zone. 

What a difference a month makes, eh? We look like a completely different team. The pressing, the intensity, the confidence, the intent. It was so refreshing to watch. It, honestly, was the most enjoyable Boro performance I’ve witnessed for quite a while (until the 91st minute that was).

We may not have ended up with the 3 points (which was a crime to say the least) but as I said, the progress of our style and identity is, to me, more important than points right now. 

The whole team were excellent today, but the emergence of Coulson, Spence and Tav have ultimately made the difference. Their energy, their youthfulness and their willingness to get at the opposition is something we have been crying out for for years. And, although it’s early days, it looks like Roberts is going to add to that. He looked excellent today. 

Man of the match today has to be Coulson! Their poor right back couldn’t live with him. All the talk recently has been about Spence. And yes Spence has been great but Coulson has been even better in my opinion. 

Final word is on Woody. It’s still very early days but the signs are encouraging. And fair play to him. Their were a lot of calls for his head this i time last month, and he’s come out the other end. Delighted for him. But this is just the start of it. Let’s hope it continues! UTB!

• Like 3

If we want to be hyper critical about that 2nd goal, I wonder if the step to his right that Pears takes just before the shot comes in stops him reaching it. It's only a very minute step but with goalies it can often cause a problem.

Not that I'm blaming Pears mind, just curious what people think.

28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think that's based on the context of how the season started and the types of performances we've put in recently. Pretty sure Paul Addison was saying himself that essentially he's not sure how much he aligns with the idea of just wanting a team that plays attractive, enjoyable football without focusing just on results but that there's definitely something in how different the conversation is just when that changes and, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Paul Addison.

We aren't in a great position but people are enjoying what they see and these are by and large the same people who spent a lot of last season saying they'd sacrifice just talking about results and just talking about aiming for promotion if they could go to the stadium and enjoy a game of football.

I said in my opening post that in comparison to last season and earlier this season that it's a big improvement. 

I just don't want to settle for entertaining lower mid-table football, right now it would be a huge improvement on last season but I want to strive for more as a club as well. We are traditionally a lower top flight club/ top half Championship club and I think there's still lots of room for improvement. 

Edited by Duvel
5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I said in my opening post that in comparison to last season and earlier this season that it's a big improvement. 

I just don't want to settle for entertaining mid table football, right now it would be a huge improvement on last season but I want to strive for more as a club as well. We are traditionally a lower top flight club/ top half Championship club and I think there's still lots of room for improvement. 

Sure there is, but if had been playing like the last month for the entire season then we would definitely be further up the table and arguably around the playoffs. Especially these last three league games have seen a drastic improvement but we have big points deficit to make up from September-November.

If we can somehow keep these performances up and perhaps improve as we go along then we should be able to go upwards in the table. But so far it’s still a short term improvement so I’ll need to see it for another month or so. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Sure there is, but if had been playing like the last month for the entire season then we would definitely be further up the table and arguably around the playoffs. Especially these last three league games have seen a drastic improvement but we have big points deficit to make up from September-November.

If we can somehow keep these performances up and perhaps improve as we go along then we should be able to go upwards in the table. But so far it’s still a short term improvement so I’ll need to see it for another month or so. 

Yeah I agree with that.

30 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Now I might sound drunk, but there was something about Roberts today, that reminded me just a tiny bit of the little fella .. 

There I said it.. Come and shoot me down 😛

Well, they are the same height, so could it be that?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Johnmfc81 said:

Im talking about that specific moment that lead to their goal, fry tried to play the ball past the attacker, instead ran into trouble and lost it. Whereas Ayala would of kicked it straight out. 

None of our defenders are perfect.. Hence why they play for boro.

He didn't in the play off final against Norwich.