oneBoro Forum

Boro V Tottenham Hotspur (A) FA Cup 3rd round replay 1-2 (Saville)

Boro Back on the Beeb!

The BBC in it's wisdom finally decided that Middlesbrough Football Club were worthy of a live spot to grace the Nations population to give them the chance to view the mighty Boro for themselves!

When? Tuesday the 14th January 2020

Where? The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, White Heart Lane, Tottenham

What time? Kick off 2005 but no doubt a half hour build up before the game or simply just following East Enders?

Why? Because Spurs could not beat the Boro last week and wanted to put on a show for their home supporters but the game will be decided.

The Rewards

An away trip to Southampton in the 4th round of the magical cup, Spurs might like this because they do not like Southampton (what a contridiction in terms) and for Boro another chance to achieve a "giant killing" if they achieve the first one initially.

The Priorities

A major cup shock or saving the best for the game at Fulham 3 days later?

The Squad and Team

Who would you be playing against Spurs and keeping one eye on the Fulham Game?

Is Britt being held back for possible use during next week? Indeed can we see any surprising squad inclusions do you feel?

Do we make a real fight of it and give Spurs a real shocker?

Last time out

For Boro a slightly deflating draw against Derby but for Spurs another loss in the league albeit against Liverpool. One point out of 18 is not good form and the loss of Harry Kane is a real concern for Jose.

Injuries

Do we have any new injury concerns and are any of the long term injured players making a surprise come back?

A view from Downsouth

What a terrific chance we have for both players and supporters to visit and watch a match at probably one of the best grounds in the United Kingdom so I think we will watch our team play to their very best and make a real fight of it. Yes Spurs have issues but they will not want to go out to a lower league team and Jose will not want another blemish on his record so a fast paced and attack intent game should be played out.

The lucky neutrals who decide to finally watch The Boro will see a really good game.

Yes we have a concern about the Friday game but treat this as a one off (as it is anyway) and just enjoy the experience.

Persoanlly I think this years "dream" will be over but you never know as Spurs players have shown that they too can miss open goals!

• Like 3
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

49.2k attendance. Decent.  Well played, you were the better team in the second half. No arguments there. A win is a win and in our current form I will take it.  The difference between y

It's Hotspur 😉  We played well yesterday and should have had a point. They should have been down to 10 men but for some 'Liverpool' refereeing. Top tip.  There are two bars in the away

Ridiculous comments from those criticising Liddle, he's a young kid making a debut away to a Premier league team. Not only that our shape was all over the place in the first half which left him and Wi

Posted Images

As much as I would like us to beat a badly out of form Spurs, I'd ring the changes as it's just too many games in 9 days and I'm still concerned about the league.

Coulson 100% needs to be rested, I was surprised he played the full 90 yesterday given he pulled up with his hamstring in the first half.

Give Gestede and Nmecha starts, maybe Wood as it's probably his last chance this season.

• Like 1

It's Hotspur 😉 

We played well yesterday and should have had a point. They should have been down to 10 men but for some 'Liverpool' refereeing.

Top tip. 

There are two bars in the away section. The lower concourse does get very crowded. Make your way upstairs for a better experience. 

Away pubs.

The Elmhurst is usually the designated away pub. However, the Irish Centre by White Hart Lane station is also away friendly. Personally I would go to the Antwerp Arms or the Beehive which also allow away fans. The Beehive is halfway on the long walk from Seven Sisters underground (25 mins). 

Getting there.

Liverpool Street to WHL is 22 mins and then a 5 min walk. Or Liverpool Street to Northumberland Park is 15 mins and a 10 min walk. If you get the tube to Seven Sisters you can get any bus ending in 9 to the ground or you can pick up the overground for the 2 stops to WHL. 

Our squad is so depleted the team Mourinho puts out picks itself and should be pretty strong.

We need to win to keep our season alive.

Good luck. 

• Like 11

My team would be

Meijas

Wood Howson Fry

Spence Paddy Clayton Sav Johnson

Nmecha Rudy

My only concern is i dont want to start Wood if it means we get a good pasting as that wont do his confidence any good. On other hand if we put in a good performance it will be a great experence for his development.

I dont want Wing playing 3 games in 6 days so rather rest him for Fulham given his issues with muscular injuries. Same for Coulson. Likes of Tav & Fletch played a lot of football lately so ideally rest them too.

I don't care about the result from this match as long as the lads have a go. I realised yesterday that, for the first time since Karanka left, I am excited about our games again. That is what I care about. I don't mind our having dropped points yesterday when we probably should have been out of sight at half time  - I care that they worked as a team and kept trying even when Derby were on top and when Derby scored from that cross. Even though last year's results were better on paper, I dreaded the games. It felt like there was no heart or identity to the team. Somehow it just wasn't OUR team - it was like watching another club's players playing in our stadium and kit. We seem to be finding an identity again. 

• Like 3

Considering our packed fixture list I wouldn’t be surprised to see Woodgate start a few more academy lads like Wood and Liddle. Woodgate has apparently said that Meijas and Clayton will be starting, and I’m imagining the likes of Johnson, Gestede and Nchema could start also. I would happily see us field a weakened team so that we can be fresh for the Fulham game on Friday night.

Roberts needs to build up game time so he should start. Nchema could do with the same.

• Like 1

I wonder if Mourinho will complain about having less time to prepare than us. I'm not expecting a win here but its certainly a great time to be playing them. Son has had our number the couple of occasions we played them in the premier league.

I'm expecting only 3-4 changes for us despite another game on Friday. I think Mejias Clayton and Johnson will come in with possibly Nmecha as well. 

20 hours ago, TLF10 said:

My team would be

Meijas

Wood Howson Fry

Spence Paddy Clayton Sav Johnson

Nmecha Rudy

My only concern is i dont want to start Wood if it means we get a good pasting as that wont do his confidence any good. On other hand if we put in a good performance it will be a great experence for his development.

I dont want Wing playing 3 games in 6 days so rather rest him for Fulham given his issues with muscular injuries. Same for Coulson. Likes of Tav & Fletch played a lot of football lately so ideally rest them too.

I could get on board with that, although as you say it might be too big a game for Wood, although it's a bit of a free ride. Rather make mistakes here than in a league game at home against Luton. That midfield three should certainnly give them a battle, although not the most technical one.

28 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I hope we put out a strong side and give it s real go, it’s s chance to impress on TV, to knock out a good side and progress. I think this game should mean more to the club than a dead rubber against Fulham. 

It's not a dead rubber game against Fulham though. They are missing their star striker, so a decent chance of us getting something. A win will put us temporarily a mere 5 points off a playoff spot. The Fulham game is huge. But so is the Spurs game. Shame the Fulham game is only three days later.

• Like 1

i don’t think many believe we will win but recent change in form and results has raised optimism. I don’t think Jose will take the opportunity to progress lightly in what could be there only chance of success, and it’s not often he fails twice so I expect a serious business approach. I would like to see us perform and give it ago but I’m more interested in the league and maintaining the feel good factor that is building around the club. On the other hand Spurs are not at there best and we are in front of the cameras, we have played well over recent weeks and a good show may send shivers up the league opposition which could yield benefits. 
GIVE IT A GO, WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE AND ALL TO GAIN! 

• Like 1

I just don’t see us getting anywhere near the playoffs to be honest. I’ve always seen this season as a year of transition. A chance to get a few of the big earners out of the door and to bed in young players ready for next season. It’s also a chance for Woodgate to get used to management and for him to impress his chosen style of play on the team. 

fortunately this is starting to happen and things are looking up. I’m glad the club hierarchy have been patient. 
A good cup run would  really help financially and Spurs are in a bit of a slump at the moment. 

I hope it’s a good game and we go for it. 

Play a strong team but use this as an opportunity to give some players a rest. I'm thinking mainly Fletcher, Tav and Howson who seem to have played every game for 90 minutes recently, I'd start Gestede and Nmecha uptop with Roberts behind.

This is probably a good time to put Nmecha in from the start. As much as you can judge someone after what... a combined 30 minutes or something... I'm not impressed so far but fingers crossed if he's on from the start he can show us a bit more what he's about.