oneBoro Forum

Boro V Tottenham Hotspur (A) FA Cup 3rd round replay 1-2 (Saville)

Think start just did too many heads in........perhaps might have helped if Saville started instead of Wing and then put Lewis on for him or Clayton last half hour. We missed pace of Coulson but after the kicking he got from Derby, probably right to save him for Friday and although he did not see much of ball, Fletch's running helped create space for Nmecha and the lad seemed to get more confident as time went on. Result more or less as expected, but I am going to take it as they won the first half and we won the second. .....and our supporters outshouted theirs for virtually the whole game...so no contest in that battle. Liddle did look overawed, but he did play a couple of decent balls and I have seen many poorer debuts than that, so I will reserve judgement till I see him against Championship players, not internationals..finally, if we can't get Spence to sign new contract, make sure we get a cast-iron sell-on clause in the transfer deal as he is going to end up in Prem one way or another 

• Like 2
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

49.2k attendance. Decent.  Well played, you were the better team in the second half. No arguments there. A win is a win and in our current form I will take it.  The difference between y

It's Hotspur 😉  We played well yesterday and should have had a point. They should have been down to 10 men but for some 'Liverpool' refereeing. Top tip.  There are two bars in the away

Ridiculous comments from those criticising Liddle, he's a young kid making a debut away to a Premier league team. Not only that our shape was all over the place in the first half which left him and Wi

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, morrissey said:

Agree with that re: Liddle but here's the thing, he is 21 not 17/18. You would have thought he'd have had chances before now if he looked good enough and on that showing...he isn't, though playing alongside Wing tonight can't have been easy, he was woeful.

Really like the look of Nmecha, pacy, aggressive and decent touch, think he'll cause problems for Championship defences when fully up to speed.

Djed Spence...well, only a handful of games so far but it's clear to a blind man on a galloping horse that this kid is quality and will only improve.

All in all, a really good 2nd half showing and thought Saville was terrific when he came on.

All players mature and progress at different ages. Wing was 23/24 when he started doing well for us. Far to early to write off a player making his pro debut at 21 away to the champions league finalists! 
Let’s see if he can put in some decent performances against championship teams first, he might even need a loan to a league 1/2 side to get some regular game time.

Well it was a good performance in the end did fear for the worst when 2 down so early from stupid individual mistakes that were from  two of the most experience players in Howson and Mejias. But to get a 2-1 against a out of form champions league finalists isn't too bad. I am just really happy too of witnessed a boro goal and though Saville played well along side Tav. But have to say Spence is some talent immense. Just a real shame we are playing Fulham Friday night as if the game had been switched to the Sunday think we could of given this a better go with Roberts, Tav and Coulson starting. Would of made it a lot more interesting as Spurs are proper shaky at the back. 

• Like 1

I think Woodgate got the team selection wrong this game and whatever game plan we had went out the window very early and we didn't adapt quick enough, Mejias was obviously at fault for the 1st and Howson and McNair for the 2nd. Poor errors cost us but we were much better second half.

I do think though that Woodgate made good substitutions; Saville had a great impact, Tav was attacking and full of running and Gestede caused problems, I think he got a flick on for the goal? 

Nmecha looked good and could have scored, Djed was definitely man of the match for me. I think the game passed Liddle by without him being able to have any impact but the lad does need to go out and play regularly so who knows. 

Pretty much as expected in the end really, not disappointed to have lost and hopefully we can keep our league form going against Fulham! 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Lord_Moose said:

I think Woodgate got the team selection wrong this game and whatever game plan we had went out the window very early and we didn't adapt quick enough, Mejias was obviously at fault for the 1st and Howson and McNair for the 2nd. Poor errors cost us but we were much better second half.

I do think though that Woodgate made good substitutions; Saville had a great impact, Tav was attacking and full of running and Gestede caused problems, I think he got a flick on for the goal? 

Nmecha looked good and could have scored, Djed was definitely man of the match for me. I think the game passed Liddle by without him being able to have any impact but the lad does need to go out and play regularly so who knows. 

Pretty much as expected in the end really, not disappointed to have lost and hopefully we can keep our league form going against Fulham! 

I thought so, but on the replays it looked awfully like it was Sanchez who actually flicked it on. EIther way, he did really well to get involved in the play there and either head it on or force Sanchez to do so.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, morrissey said:

Agree with that re: Liddle but here's the thing, he is 21 not 17/18. You would have thought he'd have had chances before now if he looked good enough and on that showing...he isn't, though playing alongside Wing tonight can't have been easy, he was woeful.

Well, no, you wouldn't.

Remember, he's trying to get a game in centre midfield where we kept buying players like it was going out of fashion. Since he was 17, we have had Leadbitter, Clayton, Forshaw, Zuculini, De Roon, Guedioura, Howson, Baker, Besic, De Sart, McNair, Wing, Saville, Tav.

Not all of those have been given the chance in centre mid from the off or consistently either. McNair had to be a substitute utility player / shoddy right back for a season, Saville got pushed out to left back towards the end of last season, Tav came through as a winger, Wing was playing for Shildon at Liddle's age.

I'd say the fact Liddle is still here says we think there is something about the lad and I think his lack of opportunities, especially this season, is more about what we've been paying for in front of him. As someone else has said too, him being 21 means very little when he's still played so few first team games. He's not definitely going to make it, nobody definitely makes it, but let's not be so hasty in writing a young lad off after one start against a Premier League team.

9 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Same with the second one. A bit dodgy on both

I think maybe Meijas only had one pair of gloves and didn’t want to get them wet or dirty, bearing in mind that the spare pair had already been “used” by Lewis Wing. 

In those circumstances, l can see why he was reluctant to soil his new gloves and so tried to save everything with his feet or knees in the first half. 

I think that this was the best result we could have got. 

Mejias's confidence doesn't matter so much - he's not going to play again for another 4 years.

We don't have to play extra games with the small squad we have.

We weathered the storm, finished on a high and really looked the part at the end.

The Fulham match is the next hurdle and I think we should be able to do them based on our recent matches. 

Nmecha looks like a real player - fast, strong and good movement. He'll cause Woody a headache - who to play now with Fletcher : Roberts or Nmecha! 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

Contentious topic around the living room tonight: why did mejias squat down like he was having a poo for the first goal. 
I would have thought you’d just gamble and go one way or t’other. Suggestions are his brain was scrambled due to either his error or the occasion, orrrrrrr he’s just ***.

you can see he twitches left, I think he gambled on a near post shot, and was off balance to make an attempt at a dive to his right

if you havent seen the post match presser

thought we were alright/good all things considered.. would've liked to see the main starting 11 with tav, roberts, coulson, etc but with fulham in a few days i understand why..

liddle was very very poor. at 21 you'd expect him much further down the line than that. 

Edited by mendieta420

Firstly I know nothing but I just wanted to say I was gutted by that 1st half performance and indeed most of the 2nd half, they just looked like lambs to the slaughter or rabbits in headlights or something like that. It looks like they just froze to me.

I really hope they don't play like this in the league otherwise this good run could be dead.