oneBoro Forum

Boro V Tottenham Hotspur (A) FA Cup 3rd round replay 1-2 (Saville)

Does anyone remember how Pulis and Woodgate have both said young players need protection? Pulis was overprotective and Woodgate has had his hand forced a bit with injuries but they've both mentioned it and Pulis thoroughly stood by it.

People's responses to Ben Liddle's performance in this thread is precisely why that is. Young lad who has never started a Championship game before is getting chastised because he's 21 and 'should be further along' when he's playing in a game against a Premier League team at their ground, when our keeper and defence have thrown ourselves under a bus after 15 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

49.2k attendance. Decent.  Well played, you were the better team in the second half. No arguments there. A win is a win and in our current form I will take it.  The difference between y

It's Hotspur 😉  We played well yesterday and should have had a point. They should have been down to 10 men but for some 'Liverpool' refereeing. Top tip.  There are two bars in the away

Ridiculous comments from those criticising Liddle, he's a young kid making a debut away to a Premier league team. Not only that our shape was all over the place in the first half which left him and Wi

Posted Images

10 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Same with the second one. A bit dodgy on both

I watched a few times now and I think he has brain farts. I watch goal keepers advance and spread but he does neither and just freezers. Mejias did himself no favor, but in the first 20 mins or so, all the players were star struck. Mejias did make up for the mistake with a couple of fine saves in the second half, but I don’t think he is reliable.
I’m not saying it’s bad but we coincide too many goals, and if we are going to play out from the back then teach them when to play and when to hoof it up.

All in all we have changed for the better, we now look and play like a team. 

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Does anyone remember how Pulis and Woodgate have both said young players need protection? Pulis was overprotective and Woodgate has had his hand forced a bit with injuries but they've both mentioned it and Pulis thoroughly stood by it.

People's responses to Ben Liddle's performance in this thread is precisely why that is. Young lad who has never started a Championship game before is getting chastised because he's 21 and 'should be further along' when he's playing in a game against a Premier League team at their ground, when our keeper and defence have thrown ourselves under a bus after 15 minutes.

My biggest gripe is that Liddle should not have made his first team debut against a top premier league side, that’s Woodgate’s fault, not Liddle’s. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end.

He should have been eased into the team off the bench against the division’s lesser sides. I can’t see any experience that he picked up yesterday doing him any good at all. I’ve been largely behind Woodgate this season, but that decision plus the one to pick Meijas were misjudged in my opinion. 

Ridiculous comments from those criticising Liddle, he's a young kid making a debut away to a Premier league team. Not only that our shape was all over the place in the first half which left him and Wing totally outnumbered in the middle. 

In the second half we pushed our defence 10/15 yards further up the pitch which reduced Spurs' space to play and got ourselves back in the game. 

• Like 6
35 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

My biggest gripe is that Liddle should not have made his first team debut against a top premier league side, that’s Woodgate’s fault, not Liddle’s. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end.

He should have been eased into the team off the bench against the division’s lesser sides. I can’t see any experience that he picked up yesterday doing him any good at all. I’ve been largely behind Woodgate this season, but that decision plus the one to pick Meijas were misjudged in my opinion. 

Maybe, but the fact people are willing to call him out against Spurs does not make me think he'd have an easier ride against anyone else and that's what my problem is. We shouldn't be so fervently criticising a young lad making his first start in a Championship team in any game, never mind when you're going to Spurs away. People need to give him chance to breathe before throwing him under a bus.

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Maybe, but the fact people are willing to call him out against Spurs does not make me think he'd have an easier ride against anyone else and that's what my problem is. We shouldn't be so fervently criticising a young lad making his first start in a Championship team in any game, never mind when you're going to Spurs away. People need to give him chance to breathe before throwing him under a bus.

I very much doubt that he reads the posts on here, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.
I think he was out of his depth against Spurs, so do most people. I’m not sure that he would have struggled in the same way against lesser opposition. 
As I said, in my opinion it was a mistake to select him and we looked a better side when Saville replaced him. 

46 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I very much doubt that he reads the posts on here, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.
I think he was out of his depth against Spurs, so do most people. I’m not sure that he would have struggled in the same way against lesser opposition. 
As I said, in my opinion it was a mistake to select him and we looked a better side when Saville replaced him. 

Even if he doesn't, opinions aren't only shared on this forum. Footballers don't automatically exist with earplugs permanently in. I don't know where this idea comes from that no footballers read or listen to anything anyone says about them but I think it's rubbish.

It might have been a mistake to play him, I'm not really contesting that in this discussion. Bear in mind I don't think he had a good game either, I'm not having a go at people who just critique his contribution in this 60 minute spell he had, I'm sure his manager and coaches will be giving him plenty of feedback on that too.

It's writing him off as if last night is a suitable representation of his quality, saying he's 21 so should be further along, that he essentially should be playing better than he did and that he would have been in the team before last night if he was any good. It's utter crap, in my opinion. By all accounts, he's a promising young player who's doing well in our U23s and if we want young players to have a chance to succeed in our team, we need to be patient with them sometimes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

He will have learned that pro football at the top is very fast paced and you can’t dwell on the ball. Hopefully it’ll teach him that you need to know what to do with the ball before you receive it. Something Howson was also reminded of when they scored their second. 

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Ridiculous comments from those criticising Liddle, he's a young kid making a debut away to a Premier league team. Not only that our shape was all over the place in the first half which left him and Wing totally outnumbered in the middle. 

In the second half we pushed our defence 10/15 yards further up the pitch which reduced Spurs' space to play and got ourselves back in the game. 

Nothing ridiculous about criticising poor performances. The shape was all over because he was all over. Out of position, knocked off the ball, blowing out his *** after 25 minutes, 21 going 16, turning his back on tackles.. 

One change with Saville and team was completely different.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Even if he doesn't, opinions aren't only shared on this forum. Footballers don't automatically exist with earplugs permanently in. I don't know where this idea comes from that no footballers read or listen to anything anyone says about them but I think it's rubbish.

It might have been a mistake to play him, I'm not really contesting that in this discussion. Bear in mind I don't think he had a good game either, I'm not having a go at people who just critique his contribution in this 60 minute spell he had, I'm sure his manager and coaches will be giving him plenty of feedback on that too.

It's writing him off as if last night is a suitable representation of his quality, saying he's 21 so should be further along, that he essentially should be playing better than he did and that he would have been in the team before last night if he was any good. It's utter crap, in my opinion. By all accounts, he's a promising young player who's doing well in our U23s and if we want young players to have a chance to succeed in our team, we need to be patient with them sometimes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the younger boro lads are members of forums like this. After all they are boro fans too. They might stop visiting forums when they break into the first team though. 

1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

Nothing ridiculous about criticising poor performances. The shape was all over because he was all over. Out of position, knocked off the ball, blowing out his *** after 25 minutes, 21 going 16, turning his back on tackles.. 

It wasn't one change though.

2 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

The shape was all over because of one player? 🤯

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It wasn't one change though.

Isn't Liddle the U23s captain? Maybe he was ordering the rest of the lads to sit back. He couldn't go into tackles as he was too busy ordering the rest of the team to be ***.

Nmecha was really good imo, really like the look of him and can't wait to see him fit. 

Re: Liddle, thought he was poor but again was against top opposition so not gonna write him off just yet. 

Mejias head went in the first 20 mins but made a great save second half. 

Looking forward to Fulham now which is something I never thought I'd say! 

For a City 21 year old, Nmecha didn't have much ball control...would have expected him to at least get his headers on target...etc etc...if we want to find a scapegoat every time we lose, then we aren't going to help them improve ...hopefully they learn from the experience and think "I want more of that" and work to try and get it...and remember when we play Fulham, if there is any physical contact, Parker says players have the right to fall over and demand a booking for the nasty person that touched them