oneBoro Forum

Boro V Fulham (A) Friday 17/01/20 19.45 0-1

1 minute ago, Uwe said:

I don’t know why but I’m really angry about that result/performance. 

Certainly Woody shoulders some of the blame for the lateness of his attacking subs  

I'm frustrated too because Boro put about 90% of their attacking effort into that 5 minutes of stoppage time.

We should have been doing that all game, but for god-only-knows-what reason, we looked scared and ineffectual for most of the time.

I said yesterday we could and really should be looking for at least a point...and I still feel it was there for the taking...if we'd only bothered to work for it.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got beat 1-0 away by one of the best teams in the division in our fifth game in eighteen days and fielding a team full of rookies, fringe players, midfielders playing in defence and still managed t

In addition to the camera angle being weird, something about it is making one of my cats keep trying to catch the ball at key moments in the game. She's always loved watching football but is going cra

Obviously watching ‘Les Miserables’ 

Posted Images

We didn't completely suck but we were pretty poor

We approached the game completely the wrong way, played rudy up front with roberts off him, that was never going to work as neither presses and rudy is way too static. Our good form has coincided with ashley fletcher being lone striker (and once playing in a 2 with rudy), as he runs well off the ball and presses very well. We were stuck lumping it forward to a static target man who you all well know is indecently bad at jumping and heading the ball. 

We basically sowed the seeds for our own bad result, and thats what happened. I don't think many would complain if it had been 4-0 instead of 1-0. The scoreline flattered us. 

I put this down to managerial inexperience, and hopefully the team and managerial team will learn from it. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Well look at this thread now.  The last couple of weeks you'd think we were something special reading this forum but we lose 1-0 away at a better team than us and everyone is going mental about it.

I think some people take it a bit far when we lose but there are some decent anaylsis' also. I don't understand why Gestede is being blamed here like 😂

Just now, Jamie-H said:

For anyone who thinks that was end of the world bad with the XI we fielded must not remember the time we made Ross McCormack look like Messi. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32362246

I was there that day. Absolutely gutting. From ecstasy to depression in the space of a few minutes. That last McCormack goal was a killer.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

I actually feel quite good after that game considering the result, reading some of the comments around mine makes me think I might just be in a minority.

It was a better result than I expected. Thought we'd lose by more.

• Like 1

Fulham had nowt of that second half til their disallowed goal.

Just as a side note, that disallowed goal, who on Earth didn't see something like that coming? Knockaert, predominantly left footed on the left side of the ball, Cavaleiro predominantly right footed on the right side of the ball on a left-side free-kick to swing it into the box, I was honestly just peeved that we were caught out by it. Fractionally offside but still, frustrating to watch that one.

Back to the game, I think the right team won in the end. Fulham should have been about 3 or 4 up at 30 minutes in. Credit to Woodgate for changing it and getting in their faces and forcing them back but I think @Changing Times has mentioned it a few times now that it doesn't seem to be a secret that's when we both defend and attack better and allowing the opposition into the game the way we did was perhaps the daftest thing we could have done.

Still, I expected a loss tonight and I actually think all-round our performance showed a great deal of confidence, we didn't look down and out, we looked willing to try and grind something out and we somehow managed to limit Fulham to just 1 goal in that first half hour to keep us in the game. Shame we couldn't get the late goal as I think it would have sucker punched them and we'd have been alright unlike at Brum earlier this season. Onwards to that game now where I think we should look to get back on track and head into our little break on a positive note at the Riverside.

UTB!

So Woodgate is not capable of putting a team together other than coming second best. If you believe we showed confidence then I’m blinded by the light. This was a team that should been hammered and would have only for the opposing team to screw up the encore. 

I actually feel quite good after that game considering the result, reading some of the comments around mine makes me think I might just be in a minority.

I wouldn’t say I feel good about the result, but yeah, definitely not as angry as some others. People’s expectations have wrongfully changed for the season.

1 minute ago, Ash said:

I think some people take it a bit far when we lose but there are some decent anaylsis' also. I don't understand why Gestede is being blamed here like 😂

Oh dear... 

Also we should really have made subs sooner and more decisively. 

Swapping Sav, Wing and Tav around was not decisive. Waiting so long to bring on Flecha and Nmecha was not decisive. 

1 minute ago, sanddancer said:

So Woodgate is not capable of putting a team together other than coming second best. If you believe we showed confidence then I’m blinded by the light. This was a team that should been hammered and would have only for the opposing team to screw up the encore. 

Not in the first 25-30 minutes, no, but the fact we came back into that game and shut Fulham out for a solid 40 minutes is some turnaround from the first 25-30. A team lacking in confidence would have rolled over, just think back to the Leeds game when that exact thing happened.

And to think, you changed your mind and predicted a win this one! Maybe it's your fault, mate! You're not allowed to be positive! 😄

• Like 2
Just now, DevKWat said:

Oh dear... 

What? I'd have played Fletch personally, I'm not a fan of Rudy. However, I don't feel he can be totally blamed for a relatively bad team performance.

2 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I wouldn’t say I feel good about the result, but yeah, definitely not as angry as some others. People’s expectations have wrongfully changed for the season.

No definitely not positive about the result, it's never a positive thing to lose a game but I expected to lose this game and I think we really battled with them considering how much this team has given us recently in terms of effort. Spence looked a bit off the pace for sure.

• Like 2

A bit of a disappointing performance, however Fulham just outclassed us all over the pitch today. We deserved to lose. 

However, why has Woodgate changed what has been our winning formula? Odd to go with Gestede over Fletcher and to drop wing. 

Hopefully Woodgate will learn from this and we dont have to play Fulham again next season.

1 minute ago, Ash said:

What? I'd have played Fletch personally, I'm not a fan of Rudy. However, I don't feel he can be totally blamed for a relatively bad team performance.

Gestede and Clayton are both finished, it’s extremely annoying when a player brings nothing to your team. But it’s another thing when they actually pull you backwards and cause your own side problems 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Well look at this thread now.  The last couple of weeks you'd think we were something special reading this forum but we lose 1-0 away at a better team than us and everyone is going mental about it.

This is what happens when fans get carried away, albeit to a very good team indeed.