oneBoro Forum

Boro V Fulham (A) Friday 17/01/20 19.45 0-1

1 minute ago, sanddancer said:

Wilson what exactly do you take or enforced To,  that makes life so wonderful. 

Seems a strange response to a question with a very clear answer. The answer was zero and you know it, we weren't hammered for 90 minutes. Whatever I take must be the complete opposite of what you do, mate!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got beat 1-0 away by one of the best teams in the division in our fifth game in eighteen days and fielding a team full of rookies, fringe players, midfielders playing in defence and still managed t

In addition to the camera angle being weird, something about it is making one of my cats keep trying to catch the ball at key moments in the game. She's always loved watching football but is going cra

Obviously watching ‘Les Miserables’ 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Coulson was completely lost from the first minute. Spence was visibly tired. We need defensive reinforcement badly. 

Absolutely agree it showed how vulnerable we are sadly if they're off form were vulnerable AF. 

2 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Yeah there is obviously going to be a gap, but Coulson has loads of basics to significantly improve on to get anywhere near Friend’s level at his prime. Thankfully for young players sakes we’ve got this season in which we can give game time to them in order to give them an opportunity to improve.

Friend, even in his prime, went through some periods where he looked pretty dodgy.  I can remember people, including myself, talking about replacing him if he didn't improve.  Coulson isn't a left back in the same way that Friend is.  Friend is a bigger bloke and appears to be a more natural defender to me.  Coulson is smaller but faster, has quicker feet and some skill, which Friend has never really had.  Coulson is absolutely an attacking left back or wing back.  Friend was a left back who was a willing attacker.  I wouldn't even class them as the same type of player to be honest but obviously as they pretty much occupy the same position then I get the comparisons.  I have less of an issue with young, inexperienced players, having off days than I do experienced players.  I think you have to factor those games in with younger lads.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I totally agree Woodgate has to use this time figuring out how the hell he is going to get Boro challenging for promotion next season. 

I mean look at Karanka's dead end period a lot of 0-0s to poor teams a couple of hammerings by Leicester (Champions), a hell of a lot of red cards as well. It's hard especially when we're signing Man City loanee's to seemingly finish 12th but you have to view this season as similar to Karanka's12th placed finish which started off pretty horribly looking back but turned out alright the next year with some tweaks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Middlesbrough_F.C._season

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

We got hammered for +90 mins and ONLY got beat 1-0, but that’s OK because our expectations are so low anything but a hammering is considered exceptional. 

1. I didn’t say it was ok. 

2. We didn’t get hammered for 90+mins.

3. I didn’t say anything but a hammering is considered exceptional. 

Apart from that, I agree. Good post.

• Like 1
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Seems a strange response to a question with a very clear answer. The answer was zero and you know it, we weren't hammered for 90 minutes. Whatever I take must be the complete opposite of what you do, mate!

I can’t disagree about the latter but we were hammered. I know where you go with your twist on positives, so I’ll agree,  we were not for hammered for the FULL Z90 mins. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I mean look at Karanka's dead end period a lot of 0-0s to poor teams a couple of hammering by Leicester, a hell of a lot of red cards as well. It's hard especially when we're signing Man City loanee's to seemingly finish 12th but you have to view this season as similar to Karanka's12th placed finish which started off pretty horribly looking back but turned out alright the next year with some tweaks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Middlesbrough_F.C._season

Spot on, mate!

4 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

How many chances did we have in 90 minutes? 

None from recollection, closest we came was through lucky attempts, like Coulson's deflected effort and McNair's back post free-kick. Is that sincerely so depressing after playing Fulham? I'd have taken a scrappy *** goal in that game, I wasn't expecting us to go there and create chance after chance. But we did have control of the game for long periods of that second half, just couldn't get the final pass to work. But then Fulham couldn't even get into our half.

12 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

The problem Woodgate will have now after that run's put us clear of the drop is this next 4 months of essentially dead games, it will be awfully hard for a lot of fans because this period we're basically playing for nothing something unfamiliar for Boro fans for 7 years the play-off dream the past few weeks was nice but short of running the board with Ws in almost every remaining game that's dead and we aren't going down either. 

It's hard to switch focus to next season and building for it when typically we're counting points and biting nails in this period the signs I'm looking for is whether we compete with the top teams of this season that will be important next season it's almost back to Aitor's first season use and assess what you have add the missing pieces in the summer build the foundations on the training ground. All that sounds nice but the pressure Woodgate and the team will be under next season after taking this season off will be off the charts right now you just try to size up the squad and the system and hope the West Brom/Preston games were a sign of what happens when it clicks.

I might be in minority but i still dont feel confident we are fully safe. We are 10pts clear but 2 or 3 bad results and suddenly you are back down there. And we are more than capable of having 2 or 3 bad results

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Friend, even in his prime, went through some periods where he looked pretty dodgy.  I can remember people, including myself, talking about replacing him if he didn't improve.  Coulson isn't a left back in the same way that Friend is.  Friend is a bigger bloke and appears to be a more natural defender to me.  Coulson is smaller but faster, has quicker feet and some skill, which Friend has never really had.  Coulson is absolutely an attacking left back or wing back.  Friend was a left back who was a willing attacker.  I wouldn't even class them as the same type of player to be honest but obviously as they pretty much occupy the same position then I get the comparisons.  I have less of an issue with young, inexperienced players, having off days than I do experienced players.  I think you have to factor those games in with younger lads.

I thought Coulson was actually much better in that second half, again, better than Spence, who nobody seems to want to mention despite being possibly the worst player on our side of the pitch? Not to *** on the young lad of course, he's been class for us recently and I'm sure he'll play better than that when he's actually managed to have a break.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Now, I'm as much a fan as anyone of some good old fashioned racism but is there something on this thread that perhaps shouldn't be there or am I overthinking it 👀👻👀

Erm