oneBoro Forum

Boro V Fulham (A) Friday 17/01/20 19.45 0-1

10 hours ago, boroie said:

mate. thats considered quite racist these days in a lot of UK and Ireland. 

As an aside, I had one of those dolls growing up. But then my nan also had a black cat she called ****** (my stars, not the board censor) that I guess you can fill in the gaps. Different times, different attitudes. 

While working in Angola some four years ago, it was not uncommon to see children playing with these dolls. Strange how we see it as racist. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We got beat 1-0 away by one of the best teams in the division in our fifth game in eighteen days and fielding a team full of rookies, fringe players, midfielders playing in defence and still managed t

In addition to the camera angle being weird, something about it is making one of my cats keep trying to catch the ball at key moments in the game. She's always loved watching football but is going cra

Obviously watching ‘Les Miserables’ 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

While working in Angola some four years ago, it was not uncommon to see children playing with these dolls. Strange how we see it as racist. 

The lovely new politically correct world we live in. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, boroie said:

The lovely new politically correct world we live in. 

Showing my age here, but when I was a kid you used to be able to send away for a range of these dolls, if you collected tokens from a certain brand of jam jars (and this was the 1980s).

Then again, white people wearing black or brown make-up on TV was still considered okay. Well, maybe not okay, but only "edgy", rather than racist.

Now you've got people calling the media racist, just for saying unkind things about Meghan Markle. Wonder what Diana would make of that?

I pretty much agree with everything that has been said. One thing that stood out for me was we really missed Fletcher in that system. He and the other two forward players would start the defence by pressing but with Rudy playing it was very obvious we weren't gonna press nearly as well. 

This topic has been dealt with. Via DM with the person and the myself. It’s now closed and I for one would like to move on, I’m sure most people on here would too. 

• Like 3

Sobering up from last night and I’m still miffed about the game. Fulham made us look like a bunch of school boys who turned up for the wrong match. It’s was embarrassing to see adults chasing shadows while Fulham magically found acres of space. How lucky we were not to be a cricket score down by half time. Second half was better but we never looked likely of scoring. 

Woody showed everything he is, a rookie making the same mistakes. I have said it before and repeat the same, this team is better than Woody is getting from them. Would i be right in saying we follow a rule of just competing in the second half. 

I said we would finish mid table and believe we will, but it’s not going to help the club if Woody cant see and learn from his mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Sobering up from last night and I’m still miffed about the game. Fulham made us look like a bunch of school boys who turned up for the wrong match. It’s was embarrassing to see adults chasing shadows while Fulham magically found acres of space. How lucky we were not to be a cricket score down by half time. Second half was better but we never looked likely of scoring. 

Woody showed everything he is, a rookie making the same mistakes. I have said it before and repeat the same, this team is better than Woody is getting from them. Would i be right in saying we follow a rule of just competing in the second half. 

I said we would finish mid table and believe we will, but it’s not going to help the club if Woody cant see and learn from his mistakes. 

I would say Woodgate has learned a lot over last few months. He said himself that due to tiredness and injuries and too small a squad he was more or less forced to start with the formation and players. He wanted to play four at the back but couldn’t because he only has one CB and he wanted to play fletcher but he needed a breather and Spence looked tired. A small squad and an injury to Ayala and too many games in a short period has forced his hand a bit. 
That said he should have brought at least Nmecha on earlier. 

26 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Showing my age here, but when I was a kid you used to be able to send away for a range of these dolls, if you collected tokens from a certain brand of jam jars (and this was the 1980s).

Then again, white people wearing black or brown make-up on TV was still considered okay. Well, maybe not okay, but only "edgy", rather than racist.

Now you've got people calling the media racist, just for saying unkind things about Meghan Markle. Wonder what Diana would make of that?

I collected the motifs from the back of jam jars and had several lapel pins of the characters. I can remember the black and white minstrel shows as well. Today even sooty has been consigned to a locked cupboard for fear of offending someone about something.   

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I would say Woodgate has learned a lot over last few months. He said himself that due to tiredness and injuries and too small a squad he was more or less forced to start with the formation and players. He wanted to play four at the back but couldn’t because he only has one CB and he wanted to play fletcher but he needed a breather and Spence looked tired. A small squad and an injury to Ayala and too many games in a short period has forced his hand a bit. 
That said he should have brought at least Nmecha on earlier. 

I hear you but find it far to easy to make excuses about professionals being tired and the squad not being big enough. In support of your argument i had tried searching championships squad sizes but came up with nothing but if you have something let me know. I don’t believe we are much different to many other clubs in squad size or games. No, I believe a lot is down to Woody the rookie not setting up right and getting the best from the squad. 

3 at the back vs 3 forwards is always tough and rarely works, so you knew it was going to be a hard game from the start. Woody said he couldn't play 4 at the back because of the CB situation which I'm not sure I agree with. It's not like McNair hasn't played there before or like Howson has struggled. Personally I'd have just shifted them along, Howson into right back and Spence into right midfield in a 4411.

Another thing I didn't understand was how we used Rudy.. VS Preston we had him and Fletcher as a 2.. Woody said after that game something like "Rudy wins the flick-on and Fletcher runs behind, it's not rocket science".. So why didn't we do that last night? Having Rudy up there alone is asking for trouble. We weren't even playing the ball into him, we were asking him to run the channels. Just bizarre.

With all that said, it was only 1-0 and we were in the game until the end.

20 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Woodgate didn't seem too happy with the interviewer last night on sky.

Him and that interviewer got history from when she gave him a tough time after Birmingham defeat about his job. He said afterwards he should have been tougher with her given she was like that with him. I have a feeling Woodgate saw last night as an opportunity to show her he no push over.

1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

Him and that interviewer got history from when she gave him a tough time after Birmingham defeat about his job. He said afterwards he should have been tougher with her given she was like that with him. I have a feeling Woodgate saw last night as an opportunity to show her he no push over.

I'm surprised he didn't just deck her.