oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham 1-1 (Fletcher)

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He doesn't want to have to play Spence at RB; he's said before that Spence has played every minute of football at RWB and he doesn't want him to have to change right now. It's why he said he couldn't play 4 at the back against Fulham either.

I get that but when you are 1-0 down at home and your only other option is to bring the most unexperienced CB we have at the club then I expect woodgate to be more offensive with his substitutions

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also Woody confirms that the subs were more precautionary, both Roberts and Fry felt their hammy's getting tighter and tighter and tehy couldn't be risked being lost for lengthy times. 

Word of warning to anyone coming down, in case you come/leave this way, the road by the college is closed off at the T-junction next to Boho 5. They're currently making a through road from Windward Wa

Thanks @Brunners. Just listened to it and just to add to your points. - asked about Gibson and said lets wait and see. It seems clear we want him. - asked if the 2 signings he expects are bo

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I get that but when you are 1-0 down at home and your only other option is to bring the most unexperienced CB we have at the club then I expect woodgate to be more offensive with his substitutions

His bench at that point was:

Mejias,
Reading,
Wood,
Liddle,
Clayton,
Gestede

Bringing Gestede on that early almost certainly would end poorly, Clayton isn't an offensive substitution, Reading is a LB, Mejias a GK. So your options are Liddle or Wood, realistically.

I get what you're saying and agree in theory, I just don't really see where an effective offensive substitution is with those options.

• Like 4

Also Woody confirms that the subs were more precautionary, both Roberts and Fry felt their hammy's getting tighter and tighter and tehy couldn't be risked being lost for lengthy times. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Surely our medical staff should bear some of the responsibility for the decision to let him continue, though.

Absolutely they should, and the sheer size of our injury list should call their effectiveness in to question too.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

have to say the whole atmosphere around the ground was absoutely shocking which wasn't helped by the PA personnel and the annoy system.

Said this myself, mate. Guy doing it today must be like 4th choice or something. The guy who does the classified football results has more spring in his voice than that fella did. Who was managing the thing when they were doing the kid's penalties too? Nearly bust my bloody eardrums, solid 5 minutes of horrible thick noise.

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Tight muscles could just be a bit of fatigue (hopefully that's the case). 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Us bringing Tav straight back on doesn't really help our defence though. 

Us bringing Tav back on doesn't change the course of events, mate. I don't think it was the right decision either but what actually happened has very little to do with our decision to bring him back on when we're talking about people calling it a knee injury vs. what it actually was.

I'm sure if we had a sub available, we'd have taken him off but clearly in the heat of the moment, he felt okay, we wanted to be at 11 players and so he went back on. On another day, it could have gone completely wrong and no, we shouldn't have done it. But I think that's a separate thing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Smogzilla said:

That was gordon cox. Media officer at boro. Lovely man and, in fairness, not a professional DJ or announcer 🤣

It was Gordon Cox!? He usually has a bit more to him than that, like! Used to do the commentaries at Boro last season before they put BBC Tees commentary over the video, sure he's done plenty of commentaries and stuff over the years for us.

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

It was Gordon Cox!? He usually has a bit more to him than that, like! Used to do the commentaries at Boro last season before they put BBC Tees commentary over the video, sure he's done plenty of commentaries and stuff over the years for us.

Aye he was drafted in last minute. Clearly a bit out of his comfort zone bless him! 🤣

• Like 2

who was the village idiot they had on the public address system tonight btw? He was almost as bad as the ref. It was like they were letting the local simpleton have a crack at it.

Never thought I'd miss foghorn mouth Page

A few points from anyone who can't / hasn't watched the post match press conference.

- Wants/expects 1 or 2 more players in by end of windows

- Fry/Roberts more precautionary, hopefully not out too long

- Fletcher has really stepped up the last couple months, works hard in training

- Coulson is sick; has been since Fulham and is on antibiotics

- Thinks had Roberts stayed on the pitch we'd have won the game. Says he shouldn't put too much pressure on Roberts but sometimes can't help it because he's just that good.

- Thinks the reds were a little harsh, just a fracas, they'll all make up and have a beer afterwards.

- Was running down the line at the linesman yelling it's a head injury - points out they were offside for the actual goal anyway, so it would have been flagged off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1