oneBoro Forum
Naisby

What changes to transfers will be happening once we no longer in EU

I wasn’t sure if there had been any announcements made yet about how leaving the EU was going to change international transfers into to PL and FL?

i remember reading a few years back we would be creating our own system based around the current one for non EU players while at the same time introducing fixed numbers of British or Naturalised players who must be in the match day squad, think it was 17 out of squad of 25 but could be wrong.

I wondered if anyone knew the current thinking of what was going to happen or either what the current rumours were about this.

I was going to ask this on the transfer thread as it might have some bearing on whether we bought non British players now or loaned them.

only thing I remember hearing a while back was that the system was going to change and was just a matter of how extreme it was going to be.

I don't think anything has been decided yet.  Given how popular football is and how much money is involved, I'd expect the government to put something in place that the clubs are happy with.  I think it's possible that the system might change for current non EU players as well.

You have a year still until you exit the free movement of labor but with the noises coming out from your government I think the rules are going to be relatively strict, although there could probably be exemptions for people earning more than X amount which most professional footballers do. Although you could miss out on young talent that’s not coming on big contracts. 
Anyway your country is going to go backwards. They EU is going to be very strict if your government is going to stick to not wanting to align with certain eu rules when it comes to import/export. 
But as CT says football is a special business for you and there is a lot of money involved so you’d expect some sort of solution. 

Any player with a remotely foreigney sounding name will be deported and we'll get back to good old English football where we all just kick seven shades of **** out of each other in a muddy field. 

RULE BRITANNIA. LALALALALLALALALALA

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, boro-unger said:

Any player with a remotely foreigney sounding name will be deported and we'll get back to good old English football where we all just kick seven shades of **** out of each other in a muddy field. 

RULE BRITANNIA. LALALALALLALALALALA

Pulis and Allardyce are waiting for the 1st of February before eyeing a top 4 club.

• Like 1

And if any managers on the defeated side try to say anything about the game afterwards, the press will just shout: "YOU LOST, GET OVER IT!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

You have a year still until you exit the free movement of labor but with the noises coming out from your government I think the rules are going to be relatively strict, although there could probably be exemptions for people earning more than X amount which most professional footballers do. Although you could miss out on young talent that’s not coming on big contracts. 
Anyway your country is going to go backwards. They EU is going to be very strict if your government is going to stick to not wanting to align with certain eu rules when it comes to import/export. 
But as CT says football is a special business for you and there is a lot of money involved so you’d expect some sort of solution. 

This is where I'd expect it to go. And that essentially means what could happen is starting with lower Championship clubs who don't give out big contracts, you'll see much less foreign influence. No more being clever in the market looking for cheap developing talent from elsewhere in the EU, no more Brentford's appearing and making a financially stable and developing club on the back of spotting and developing talent from across Europe. Not that it happens a great deal within the current league system but it does mean that top clubs with more money to spend will have a bigger market to purchase players in whilst the lower clubs have to fight amongst themselves to maintain and secure the best talent.

That would start to happen with new contracts for EU players too, not just those being brought in from the EU. Every contract is probably going to need a new work permit. So clubs may start to shift out assets who won't be considered settled by the government. The EU settlement scheme is an absolute ***-take I've heard from some European citizens in our country, people who've lived and worked here for 20-30 years, contributing taxes whilst never having a say and still being denied. So whilst you'd think maybe with the spotlight of football has that it might be okay for footballers... I'm just not convinced.

I'm sure there's various opinions on the board about whether this benefits the game or the country and whatnot; I'm of the opinion that it could affect a club like us in the transitional phase we're going through more than it could a club in the Premier League and I think there's far too much of that already in our league system what with the financial differences between even just the PL and Championship. Sure, we're not very savvy in the European market anyway but we could be if we actually tried. That possibility may be taken from under our feet. So even if we're just talking about football, what a self-inflicted wound this could end up being.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

At least the FA can make their own laws now not by the unelected bureaucrats of fifa and UEFA. We will also get back control of our Fishing so expect Jamie Pollock , Mark Fish and James Perch to thrive.

??? Leaving the EU has got nothing to do with FIFA and uefa. English clubs still have to take part in uefa competitions

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

??? Leaving the EU has got nothing to do with FIFA and uefa. English clubs still have to take part in uefa competitions

Twas being sarcastic apologies it didnt come across in the post.

• Like 1

Football Manager implemented a few different scenarios, including a foreign player limit, contract limits (eg £8000 p/w minimum) before eligible to play in the league. Interesting take on things, but it is certainly going to have a large impact on the non-super clubs. It wont impact FIFA/UEFA competitions, just the squad makeup and transfers. Expect the english player tax to go even higher. 

First rule change is as of 1st Feb UK clubs cannot sign under 18s from Europe. Not sure why that particular one but it's a start.

I hope it gives teams more encouragement to invest in local players. Team like Boro seem to make a difference to a lot of kids in the region. I don't think Brentford have an academy do they? 

I don't think the Government can give football a free pass, and the EU certainly won't for players going the other way. It will be interesting if many UK born players abroad apply for different nationalities eg if they play and want to stay in Germany.

12 minutes ago, edinboro said:

I don't think Brentford have an academy do they? 

They do not. Before Brexit, an inspired decision. They spent something like 60 mil on players in the last 5-6 years and made 69mil profit on the ones they sold, while still keeping some in their team valued very highly.